Vernon Wells Hurt??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vernon Wells Hurt???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby warrick95 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:16 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:Because I don't think that he's going to repeat his big season, he's aging out of his prime, he plays for the Blue Jays which would be likely to sap anyone's morale, even if they DO lure all 4,000 Expos fans into their fold.... Also because I have Edmonds, Wilkerson, Nady and Tavares taking up my OF slots and am willing to gamble at this point that Nady is likely to finish > Wells for me.

I don't see it as being that big of a deal. I looked at the team and he was the most expendable guy. Voila. :-°

Out of his prime? Hello, Vernon Wells is 26 years old. Most players ENTER their prime seasons (well most actually enter a year or two later) right about now. There's no doubt that he's going to improve on his numbers last year (AT LEAST) if not rebound to his 2003 averages. I really do expect his BB/K and that sort of stuff to get better than his 2003 BB/K in the next few years as he develops more plate sense. By the way, Xavier Nady is older than Vernon Wells. And he was never viewed as having as good tools. He was always more refined in the minors because he was a four year college player (more power, too). However, he's done jack in the pros.

His injury last year was a calf problem. Calf is in the leg, ribs are in the abdominal area. No relation whatsoever.

On the other hand, it's just as easy to argue that playing for the Blue Jays is relaxed and there's no pressure on him. Thus, he'll be able to perform in a laid back environment.

Vernon's going to outperform all of your OFs except Edmonds...who he'll almost resemble.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:18 pm

warrick95 wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:Because I don't think that he's going to repeat his big season, he's aging out of his prime, he plays for the Blue Jays which would be likely to sap anyone's morale, even if they DO lure all 4,000 Expos fans into their fold.... Also because I have Edmonds, Wilkerson, Nady and Tavares taking up my OF slots and am willing to gamble at this point that Nady is likely to finish > Wells for me.

I don't see it as being that big of a deal. I looked at the team and he was the most expendable guy. Voila. :-°

Out of his prime? Hello, Vernon Wells is 26 years old. Most players ENTER their prime seasons (well most actually enter a year or two later) right about now. There's no doubt that he's going to improve on his numbers last year (AT LEAST) if not rebound to his 2003 averages. I really do expect his BB/K and that sort of stuff to get better than his 2003 BB/K in the next few years as he develops more plate sense. By the way, Xavier Nady is older than Vernon Wells. And he was never viewed as having as good tools. He was always more refined in the minors because he was a four year college player (more power, too). However, he's done jack in the pros.

His injury last year was a calf problem. Calf is in the leg, ribs are in the abdominal area. No relation whatsoever.

On the other hand, it's just as easy to argue that playing for the Blue Jays is relaxed and there's no pressure on him. Thus, he'll be able to perform in a laid back environment.

Vernon's going to outperform all of your OFs except Edmonds...who he'll almost resemble.

Couldn't have said it better myself! ;-D
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MMoNeY24 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:20 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:
warrick95 wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself! ;-D

I don't think he'll resemble Edmonds in STL, but good points on the rest.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:21 pm

Oh I tried to move him, got no takers and bit the bullet. It's a long season and he's still there today, after 3 days...he's a 'tools' player who's never figured out how to convert his 'tools' other than in 2003. A calculated risk at best. I wish you guys were in our league so I could have dealt him to you though... :-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby ravenmad22 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:21 pm

Just ignore AcidRock. Dropping Wells and keeping Tavares is so ridiculous it doesn't merit a conversation.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MMoNeY24 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:22 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:Oh I tried to move him, got no takers and bit the bullet. It's a long season and he's still there today, after 3 days...he's a 'tools' player who's never figured out how to convert his 'tools' other than in 2003. A calculated risk at best. I wish you guys were in our league so I could have dealt him to you though... :-D

If nobody wanted him, they're crazy. When his value is so low to you that you'd drop him, I'm sure you couldv'e atleast gotten a better player than Nady from someone hurting in OF and wants to take a chance on him turning it around.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:24 pm

If Vernon can stay healthy, he'll put up numbers that are greater than Nady and Taveras...combined.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby warrick95 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:25 pm

A tools player who had his peak season as a 24 year old? Sounds very likely. His BBs have been climbing each year (better plate discipline) and he doesn't strike out nearly as much as other tools players (approximately 80 some a year). I think Edmonds is going to get hurt and thus they'll be pretty even. Plus, Jim's so overrated right now (here's a player who's clearly in his prime or declining out of it if you want to mention them) and going off the board too early that he's not a good pick to begin with. Here's what I said about Wells on another thread. It explains why he was lackluster last year.

Here's what I said on another thread about V-Dub. Nobody that you mentioned is even close to him.

I'm tired of arguing about Vernon Wells. He was hurt last year. He's 26. He hit .317-33-117 in 2003. He's going to continue to improve into his prime, even though his R/RBI numbers won't be great in that horrid lineup. SBs will make up for that.

Wells' monthly numbers in 2004:
APRIL .211-1 HR
MAY .360-5 HR
JUN .333-3 HR (missed over half the month...strained calf muscle)
JUL .242-3 HR (missed nearly half the month...strained calf muscle)
AUG .210-3 HR
SEP .291-7 HR

First, he was just bad in April, superb in May and June...those numbers average out pretty nicely to his norms.

Note that on August, 24- August, 26, Wells was out of the lineup with tightness in his right calf...the same calf that he injured in June. This proves that he was not completely healthy for the July and August months where he was absolutely putrid. He looked a lot like his old self in September, demonstrating that he could be ready to bounce back in 2005.

As some of you more familiar with injuries may know, a calf injury is very close to the ACL and thus is critical for athletic ability. However, being obviously less serious than an ACL injury, Wells should be good to go this season.

Vernon Wells will bounce back. Write it down.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:42 pm

ok ok, I'll go pick him back up...sheesh!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby stumpak » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:56 pm

Dropping a guy like Wells after two weeks for flashes in the pan is good formula for losing a league.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers