Vernon Wells Hurt??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vernon Wells Hurt???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:02 pm

I think Vernon is really overrated but dumping him for Morgan Ensberg (???) is just foolish.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:12 pm

V-Dub has strained ribs that are bothering him when he swings and runs. THis could be a reason why he's been so cold the past week...he suffered them last April.

Wells was always a pretty highly thought of prospect. He has superb tools. To me, there's no real reason to think Wells won't return to his 2003 numbers (in terms of the averaged numbers...I doubt he'll get that many R/RBI in that crappy lineup). He was seriously bothered by injuries throughout last season. Wells was really never at full strength.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MMoNeY24 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:03 pm

2-4 today with an RBI.

Turnaround or lucky game? It was against Schilling, so hopefully it's a sign of good to come.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:19 pm

MMoNeY24 wrote:2-4 today with an RBI.

Turnaround or lucky game? It was against Schilling, so hopefully it's a sign of good to come.

I'd have expected that, I just dropped him!! :-D

He's trying to lure me into picking him back up...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:42 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:
MMoNeY24 wrote:2-4 today with an RBI.

I'd have expected that, I just dropped him!! :-D

He's trying to lure me into picking him back up...

Why would you ever drop a player like Vernon Wells?

8-o
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:00 pm

Because I don't think that he's going to repeat his big season, he's aging out of his prime, he plays for the Blue Jays which would be likely to sap anyone's morale, even if they DO lure all 4,000 Expos fans into their fold.... Also because I have Edmonds, Wilkerson, Nady and Tavares taking up my OF slots and am willing to gamble at this point that Nady is likely to finish > Wells for me.

I don't see it as being that big of a deal. I looked at the team and he was the most expendable guy. Voila. :-°
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:02 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:Because I don't think that he's going to repeat his big season, he's aging out of his prime, he plays for the Blue Jays which would be likely to sap anyone's morale, even if they DO lure all 4,000 Expos fans into their fold.... Also because I have Edmonds, Wilkerson, Nady and Tavares taking up my OF slots and am willing to gamble at this point that Nady is likely to finish > Wells for me.

I don't see it as being that big of a deal. I looked at the team and he was the most expendable guy. Voila. :-°

So you dump Vernon Wells for guys like Nady and Tavares?! Look, you might be right about Vernon not having a good season, but for crying out loud, you don't just drop the guy. He's still got quite a bit of trading value. That's just poor managing.

Methinks you're going to regret this decision come September.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:06 pm

nah, I like taking young guys who have upside rather than a guy who was making '30/30' predictions about himself in ST and then having ongoing issues w/ a rib injury from a year ago dragging on them a couple of weeks into the season. Sure he had a nice outing today on the way out my door. The injuries sound kind of like what Nomar had last year, not painful enough to take him out (unless they are playing the Yankees?) but enough to slow him down.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MMoNeY24 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:12 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:nah, I like taking young guys who have upside rather than a guy who was making '30/30' predictions about himself in ST and then having ongoing issues w/ a rib injury from a year ago dragging on them a couple of weeks into the season. Sure he had a nice outing today on the way out my door. The injuries sound kind of like what Nomar had last year, not painful enough to take him out (unless they are playing the Yankees?) but enough to slow him down.

I'd be VERY surprised if he doesn't get picked up in your league.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:13 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:nah, I like taking young guys who have upside rather than a guy who was making '30/30' predictions about himself in ST and then having ongoing issues w/ a rib injury from a year ago dragging on them a couple of weeks into the season. Sure he had a nice outing today on the way out my door. The injuries sound kind of like what Nomar had last year, not painful enough to take him out (unless they are playing the Yankees?) but enough to slow him down.

Vernon Wells is not the kind of player who you just drop outright. If you don't like him, you trade him to somebody who does. In the end, I guess it's your team, but I would STRONGLY advise against flat out dropping a player with the talent of Vernon Wells. Trade him at the very least.
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers