Hampton? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hampton?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hampton?

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:03 am

How would you rate him in comparison to Westbrook and David Wells?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:12 am

Greater than.

Hampton

Westbrook

WELLS
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dusk2k2 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:18 am

Hampton looked real good in todays game. Can't really strike people out, but the dude just knows how to get hitter out. An era in the 3.00's and good WHIP is definitely possible, but he'll have low Strikeout totals.
Dusk2k2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby icepak » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:36 am

I got him b4 season started in bunch of leagues. I figured with all those great second halves he's been getting, he bound to carry it through for a full season.
icepak
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby LBJackal » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:05 am

Meh. 1 K in 8 innings, sorry but I'm just not impressed. He's better than Westbrook and Wells I suppose, but that's not saying much. I preferably wouldn't have any of those three on my team.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:42 am

LBJackal wrote:Meh. 1 K in 8 innings, sorry but I'm just not impressed. He's better than Westbrook and Wells I suppose, but that's not saying much. I preferably wouldn't have any of those three on my team.

Being stubborn, eh? Hampton is a reliable and solid pitcher as long as you're not looking for Ks. Keep him for the wins and ratios, and any Ks he gets are gravy. He's going to be great this year, don't worry about it.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby baseballnewb » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:20 am

The guy will hurt your K's and WHIP pretty much every year and some years he will help a little bit in ERA and W. He's an adequate SP but nothing to get excited about. I would rate him over those 2 though.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:23 am

baseballnewb wrote:The guy will hurt your K's and WHIP pretty much every year and some years he will help a little bit in ERA and W. He's an adequate SP but nothing to get excited about. I would rate him over those 2 though.

How will he hurt your WHIP? Check out his post ASB stats, and his stats from this year so far. He is not a WHIP killer when he's healthy...and he finally is. He will hurt you in Ks, but don't rely on him for Ks and you'll be alright. He's never going to be your staff ace, but he's a fantastic 4th or 5th starter.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:29 am

I would agree. If Hampton's WHIP is hurting you badly he is likely not pitching well and not worthy of a spot. He was a slightly negative WHIP kind of SP even in his good years. Still, the BBs are WAY down and as long as that trend holds I am liking what I am seeing. Ks are pretty down right awful, but so what? You want RJ out of a fantasy 5th SP?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TB13 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:35 am

slomo007 wrote:Being stubborn, eh? Hampton is a reliable and solid pitcher as long as you're not looking for Ks. Keep him for the wins and ratios, and any Ks he gets are gravy. He's going to be great this year, don't worry about it.

Agreed. Picked up Hampton about 10 days ago and have been starting him and am not sorry. Fine, he'll hurt you in K's, but he has been absolutely stellar as far as ERA & WHIP go. There are plenty of other pitchers that are on many teams who have similar K's issues, and are significantly worse in ERA & WHIP. Biggest thing about him is how he has dramatically cut down on the walks.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers