Kolb is an amazing closer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kolb is an amazing closer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:43 am

RynMan wrote:I think the A's are gonna wanna keep Street, kiko and Dotel in their pen to take the load off their young starters. I think there will only be a trade if the A's are conceding.

Sorry slomo, I think that they DO need Dotel. :-/

I really like the A's young staff, and no offense to you RynMan, but I can see them conceding in a couple of months. They just don't have the offensive fire power to keep up with anyone in their division. Granted, the pitching is great...but they're all extremely young and inexperienced. They could surprise though, and I'd love to see it...especially if it means knocking off the Angels.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:53 am

slomo007 wrote:
RynMan wrote:I think the A's are gonna wanna keep Street, kiko and Dotel in their pen to take the load off their young starters. I think there will only be a trade if the A's are conceding.

Sorry slomo, I think that they DO need Dotel. :-/

I really like the A's young staff, and no offense to you RynMan, but I can see them conceding in a couple of months. They just don't have the offensive fire power to keep up with anyone in their division. Granted, the pitching is great...but they're all extremely young and inexperienced. They could surprise though, and I'd love to see it...especially if it means knocking off the Angels.

:-[

jus kidding man. you're entitled to your opinion! you're wrong but thats still ok. ;-)

:-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby NZF » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:23 am

tomkatt wrote:I'm not optimistic at all about him finding his form. Lacks an out pitch and seems to be terrible under pressure. I think it's just a matter of time.........

I don't think it is fair to label him as terrible under pressure. He got the job done very successfully in Milwaukee for a season and a half. At one point he had nearly 20 close conversions in succession which was second behind Gagne in the majors. He may very well be struggling with the pressure of playing for one of the big guns.

Only time will tell if he does get his act together but I would strongly recommend any Kolb owner picking up Reitsma for insurance.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tomkatt » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:45 am

New Zealand Fan wrote:
tomkatt wrote:I'm not optimistic at all about him finding his form. Lacks an out pitch and seems to be terrible under pressure. I think it's just a matter of time.........

I don't think it is fair to label him as terrible under pressure. He got the job done very successfully in Milwaukee for a season and a half. At one point he had nearly 20 close conversions in succession which was second behind Gagne in the majors. He may very well be struggling with the pressure of playing for one of the big guns.

Only time will tell if he does get his act together but I would strongly recommend any Kolb owner picking up Reitsma for insurance.

Exactly the kind of pressure I was talking about. Most of the pre-season Kolb doubters brought up the fact that closing for the Brewers is not the same as closing for the Braves. I'd feel a lot better about him rebounding if I saw signs of him having a real dominating pitch. I don't see it, and his control seems terrible.
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pedantic » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:50 am

I'll bet the Braves are more worried about offense from their corner outfielders than their bullpen.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby tomkatt » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:02 am

Pedantic wrote:I'll bet the Braves are more worried about offense from their corner outfielders than their bullpen.

Talked to a fellow Braves fan tonight, and he mentioned that they are looking at possibly acquiring Gross from Toronto. Anybody hear this rumor?
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bd3521 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:03 am

Pedantic wrote:I'll bet the Braves are more worried about offense from their corner outfielders than their bullpen.

Move Chip and bring up MARTE ;-D
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GiantFan666 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:15 am

tomkatt wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:

Exactly the kind of pressure I was talking about. Most of the pre-season Kolb doubters brought up the fact that closing for the Brewers is not the same as closing for the Braves. I'd feel a lot better about him rebounding if I saw signs of him having a real dominating pitch. I don't see it, and his control seems terrible.

Pressure as a Braves closer? its not like they're ever at capacity at that stadium... lol... I think he will settle down fine, its just the fact that they went from Smoltz to him
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby RynMan » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:20 am

bd3521 wrote:

Move Chip and bring up MARTE ;-D

Makes sense to me....
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby tomkatt » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:36 am

GiantFan666 wrote:
tomkatt wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:

Pressure as a Braves closer? its not like they're ever at capacity at that stadium... lol... I think he will settle down fine, its just the fact that they went from Smoltz to him

You know, now that I'm over the shock and awe about how terrible he was tonight (and the time before :-o ), I think you may be right. The dude is probably not nearly this bad. He certainly needs to cut the walks out of his routine cuz he ain't good enough to pitch around them. Reitsma may have to hold down the fort til he gets some confidence back. Be interesting to see how Bobby & Leo handle this. I would imagine with the amount of pitches he threw tonight, probably due for a day of rest.
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers