bad drafter making me mad!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

bad drafter making me mad!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RAmst23 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:26 pm

Actually his pitching staff might be better than it looks. Starting guys like Weaver and Eaton at home does great things for your pitching staff. I carry Odalis on several teams so I can use his LA home starts and bench him other times (Unless his away match-ups are really in his favor.

Pinero could be good this year as wel and Rincon is good. He's gotten lucky with Suppan so far since Sup's not really that great of a fantasy pitcher. He looks to have a solid team though, he could probably upgrade his team by just doing some WW pick-ups (assuming it's a 12 team) but otherwise, is ok :-)
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby go_jays_go » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:58 pm

The Guru wrote:How many teams are in this league?

Yeah how many are there?
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Jmon » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:13 am

He "poorly" drafted two of my favorites for 2005 upside, D Lee and L Gonzalez. They should both greatly outperform their draft position.
Jmon
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Grouperman941 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:13 am

I like his team, too, by a little.

If the idea of the draft is to come out with a good team, it doesn't look to me like he's bad.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Dodger Blue » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:27 am

LBJackal wrote:He got Jeter, Sheffield, and Oswalt all after the 2nd round? So one of those guys came in round 5? Maybe you have some other people in the league that don't really know what they're doing :-D

But seriously his team isn't bad. He doesn't have stud pitchers but most experts I've seen absolutely load up on hitting and get scrub pitchers. It works when you can get cheap MR's like Gonzo and Rincon.

You guys might all agree that he's a bad drafter, but I'd say his team looks pretty good. And if he always seems to do well maybe it's more than luck. People in my 18 team league criticize how I value players and I've finished in first place once, and 2nd the other 2 years. All this while the critics finish in the middle or bottom of the standings.

I agree his team is fine.
Dodger Blue
General Manager
General Manager

Postby curious_george_43545 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:09 am

I agree unless yuor pitching staff is golden, I think his team may be better than yours ;-7
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby davidmarver » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:24 am

Did I see Jay Payton on a fantasy team?

Wow.

Whoever doesn't have him has the better team regardless.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby rainman23 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:33 am

No offense, I hope, but the title of this thread almost says it all. Are you mad because the guy's a lousy drafter? Nope, it sounds like you resent the fact that the guy always seems to be in the hunt with what you view as inferior talent. Like he's taking something others with superior drafting skills deserve. Unless he's doing it with unscrupulous methods (which you haven't suggested), then your premise is likely wrong. If his teams consistently do better, then my guess is that he's doing a pretty good job evaluating talent. Some of those superior drafters might learn a little bit by looking a little harder at his rosters.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:36 am

I think the first team's success is more a function of hot starts than being a really solid team. I would much rather have the second of the two.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby phunkadelic » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:18 pm

I'd take his team as well.
phunkadelic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner