Return of the King? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Return of the King?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Return of the King?

Postby free » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:33 pm

I just watched LOR return of the king for the second time and am still kind of clueless as to what the point of the ending is when they all sail away. Can someone fill me in please?
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:04 pm

One of my friends is a LOTR nut, and from what I remember, they're going away to die soemwhere. Or fight for something, and then die which was supposed to be a sad part of the movie. I really don't know I was pretty bored watching those damn movies.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ensanimal » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:22 pm

LBJackal wrote:One of my friends is a LOTR nut, and from what I remember, they're going away to die soemwhere. Or fight for something, and then die which was supposed to be a sad part of the movie. I really don't know I was pretty bored watching those damn movies.

agree on the bored part. :-/

i also think they were supposed to be going off to die somewhere. why...i've got no idea :-?
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 113)

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:53 pm

Well, the point of the ending was that Frodo was supposed to be so mentally scarred from being the ring bearer that he would be unable to live a normal life anywhere in middle earth.

I'm pretty sure the boat was supposed to be heading to the Grey Havens, where all the elves were heading earlier in The Two Towers.
I think it also allows them live eternally (not really sure, I read the books about 4-5 years ago).

/Spoiler/

In the book, Frodo and the rest of the hobbits come home to a country side ruled by Saruman, who took refuge there, enslaving all of the hobbits and turning the place into a mini-Isengard (no trees/no nature, a complete turnaround from the idyllic natural life pictured at the beginning of The Felloship of the Ring). Naturally, they lay waste to them, and Wormtongue ends up killing Saruman. This "second ending" was probably way too anticlimatic to add to the movies, so its somewhat understandable that Jackson didn't even bother to film these scenes. After this, Frodo sets sail for the Grey Havens.

/end Spoiler/

As a fan of the books, I really enjoyed the movies. They tended to treat the source material a whole lot better than other book -> movie films.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby WinTwins88 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:50 am

Pokeyouindaeye wrote:Well, the point of the ending was that Frodo was supposed to be so mentally scarred from being the ring bearer that he would be unable to live a normal life anywhere in middle earth.

I'm pretty sure the boat was supposed to be heading to the Grey Havens, where all the elves were heading earlier in The Two Towers.
I think it also allows them live eternally (not really sure, I read the books about 4-5 years ago).

That is correct. Everyone went to sail away to live eternally. However frodo was to broken to want to live I guess.
WinTwins88
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby ironman » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:11 am

Pokeyouindaeye wrote:Well, the point of the ending was that Frodo was supposed to be so mentally scarred from being the ring bearer that he would be unable to live a normal life anywhere in middle earth.

/Spoiler/

In the book, Frodo and the rest of the hobbits come home to a country side ruled by Saruman, who took refuge there, enslaving all of the hobbits and turning the place into a mini-Isengard (no trees/no nature, a complete turnaround from the idyllic natural life pictured at the beginning of The Felloship of the Ring). Naturally, they lay waste to them, and Wormtongue ends up killing Saruman. This "second ending" was probably way too anticlimatic to add to the movies, so its somewhat understandable that Jackson didn't even bother to film these scenes. After this, Frodo sets sail for the Grey Havens.

/end Spoiler/

As a fan of the books, I really enjoyed the movies. They tended to treat the source material a whole lot better than other book -> movie films.

In the Extended Version on the DVD they do have the scene of Saruman's demise but it is still different from the book. After the treebeards finish destroying Isengard, Gandalf talks to Saruman who is at the top of his tower. Just as Saruman is about to reveal some important info Wormtongue throws him off the tower and is killed. It takes place at the beginning of the movie and I can see how it was fairly inconsequential to include, although it helps to understand how Pippin finds the orb/crystal ball thing (Saruman was holding it when he fell off the tower).
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Tavish » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:38 pm

The movie also throws a scene where Frodo has a vision of what will happen to the Shire if the Fellowship fails where hobbits are chained and the Shire is burning. That is the eventual fate of the Shire in the Tolkien version. I actually liked the movie's ending better although you get to see more of Sam's strength of will in Tolkien's ending.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby free » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:56 pm

so basically when they sail away at the end they are just going away to "elfland" to live forever? hrmmm :-?
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Return of the King?

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:08 pm

free wrote:I just watched LOR return of the king for the second time and am still kind of clueless as to what the point of the ending is when they all sail away. Can someone fill me in please?

They go to the eternal land. Same place the Elves came from and are going back to. THis is where the Valar, which are sort of like gods, live. If you were bored, I suggest going back to watching bad horror movies intended for teens with ADD who can't sit through a movie longer than 90 minutes.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: Return of the King?

Postby free » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:28 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
free wrote:I just watched LOR return of the king for the second time and am still kind of clueless as to what the point of the ending is when they all sail away. Can someone fill me in please?

If you were bored, I suggest going back to watching bad horror movies intended for teens with ADD who can't sit through a movie longer than 90 minutes.

what :-? never said i was bored??? these are actually some of my favorite movies. i just didn't catch the ending. thanks ;-D
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to General Talk