George Steinbrenner speaks out. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

George Steinbrenner speaks out.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:48 am

The only thing I would find even more funny about this is if tomorrow a story breaks about Theo Epstein choking on his food while laughing at George's comments. :-b

(no, I'm not wishing death upon him, calm down Boston fans)
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:59 am

Strasil42 wrote:
I'm curious as to how there's a relationship between being a professional and growing a beard or mustache.

ok, i was just yelled at by my new employers so id be happy too.

It gives the impression that your too lazy to even shave. You have to look like a professional. You cant look like you were out drinking beers till 4 in the morning and didnt have time to shave.

heres an example of an application i found.

In addition to proper dress, employees are expected to present a clean, neat and business-like
appearance. For example, male employees are expected to have neatly combed hair and to be clean
shaven.

There's nothing wrong with a well groomed mustache or goatee. Forcing male employees to be clean shaven is just silly. I guess in a food service business it would make sense for health reasons, but other than that, I see no reason why a man cannot have a well groomed mustache or goatee. Pretty silly policy.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby curious_george_43545 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:08 am

Madison wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
I'm curious as to how there's a relationship between being a professional and growing a beard or mustache.

It gives the impression that your too lazy to even shave. You have to look like a professional. You cant look like you were out drinking beers till 4 in the morning and didnt have time to shave.

In addition to proper dress, employees are expected to present a clean, neat and business-like
appearance. For example, male employees are expected to have neatly combed hair and to be clean
shaven.

There's nothing wrong with a well groomed mustache or goatee. Forcing male employees to be clean shaven is just silly. I guess in a food service business it would make sense for health reasons, but other than that, I see no reason why a man cannot have a well groomed mustache or goatee. Pretty silly policy.
that's Georgy for ya
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby GiantFan666 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:31 am

Strasil42 wrote:

shaven.

Yeah... like that lazy guy Abraham Lincoln!!!
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Pacman » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:48 am

Nomar4prez wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
thehat wrote:Way to go, George. Glad to see you're remaining in character. The season's less than two weeks old, but let's throw them under the bus anyway.

Obviously, I enjoy all bad things that may happen to the Yankees, but it's not just because I'm a Red Sox fan. I've always had an intense dislike for business owners who insist that all their employees be "clean cut" as though this makes a difference in how they perform. To me, it's an abhorrent policy, one that strikes at the heart of personal freedom and is an abuse of power that can only be rationalized by a control freak...which is the definition of Steinbrenner. Can't stand the guy, and that has nothing to do with the baseball team he owns.

But it helps.

dude its called being a professional....

Anyone else find that sentence extremely funny?

Oh nooooo... Look at the facts. No team full of characters with: full beards, goat-ees, 5 'o'clock shadows, 11 o'clock shadows, side burns, shoulder-length hair, dreadlocked hair, corn-rowed hair, and high-lighted hair... could EVER be successful. Right?

Next thing you're going to tell me a team could come back from an 0-3 deficit in a seven game series to WIN it.

Silly.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:56 am

Strasil42 wrote:
nsulham wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:dont forget we get the devil rays next.

weve been facing some great offenses so far.

Not really an excuse and Tampa's offense isn't exactly chopped liver.

its not nearly as good as baltimores or the red sox.

and tampas starting pitching is horrible....

i expect the yankees to sweep them just as the sox did. easy series.

Yeah, and the O's staff is full of Cy Young canidates. The yankees are playing awful and you are taking their funk for granted. Right now, they plain suck.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:52 am

I just realized that other than the Rockies, the Yankees are tied for the worst record in baseball. 8-o

No wonder George is a bit upset. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:02 am

The Yankees issues don't totally suprise me that much as RJ is still very good but is concurrently very old. Pavano and Wright had question marks that were all over the place when they were signed, kind of slithered away over the winter and now are coming back and the 'pen was another spot w/ question marks.

Even thought they are not struggling as badly as the Yanks, I am MUCH more suprised by the Cardinals' struggles so far, as a team which was widely rated to have cleaned up in the offseason, they have been pretty wheezy so far.

It does strike me as PARTICULARLY absurd that an owner would worry about the grooming of men who are paid huge amounts of money to run around and hit balls with clubs. I prefer the Charlie Finley approach of PAYING a team to look like a bunch of wild bikers/ pro wrestlers/ swashbucklers.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:12 am

Oh please. Every time the Yanks have problems we here this nonsense about age and impending doom. Like the Yanks have ever been a young team winning in the past with such great youngsters as Cone, Clemens, David Wells, El Duque, Raines, Chili Davis, O'neill etc.

The bottom line is George has every right to complain. We are not losing because of creaking bones, we are losing because a lot of players are slumping or not playing very well.

a. The bullpen has been AWFUL. Gordon has been shot since August of last year and does not seem to have recovered. Sturtz is mis-used like he is a stud setup man. Felix Rodriguez is better than Heredia, but then so am I and Mo has caught the same disease as most closers this year. With relief like that, you can't win. It will get better, but right now that is kerosene out there.

b. The hitting has been almost as bad as the bullpen. Outside of Matsui, Sheffield and Jeter, the team has not hit a lick. Arod is doing his April choke-itis. Posada, normally a first half player, has done nothing. Bernie looks like his career is done the way he is playing. Giambi has done very little outside of walk a few times. Tino is doing nothing. Womack is Womack. You can't expect to win when only 3 of 9 hitters are doing anything. When Bruce Chen and Tim Wakefiled both pitch 2 stellar games against you with Chen needing all of 102 pitches to pitch a complete game shutout in one game, you know you have problems.

c. The starting pitching has been iffy. RJ has been off. Pavano got hit in the face and has been off. Wright has been very shaky, Mussina's control is off but he is managing to survive and Brown...well he just blows if yesterday is any indication. You want to call Brown age related, be my guest. Hardly a surprise that the guy stinks it up. I heard yesterday's game on radio and I found it amusing that John Sterling was no sooner commenting on how Brown's fastball was up at 93 and his mound presense looked great as the balls started to fly out of the park. Brown may get healthy enough for stretches of time to be effective, bt right now he is a poor #5 starter for us and Cashman is going to curse the day that he let Lieber walk because he was too proud to admit a mistake.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TB13 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:48 am

Pacman wrote:Oh nooooo... Look at the facts. No team full of characters with: full beards, goat-ees, 5 'o'clock shadows, 11 o'clock shadows, side burns, shoulder-length hair, dreadlocked hair, corn-rowed hair, and high-lighted hair... could EVER be successful. Right?

Come on, Pacman. I know that you are a Sox fan, but you stike me as not a one-sided one, if you get my meaning. Much like I am a Yankee fan, but do not view everything through pinstripe colored glasses.
You cannot just dismiss what the Yankees have done and suddenly trumpet the "Red Sox" way. Until the Sox do ANYTHING that even sniffs what the Yankees have accomplished in the last decade alone, the "Yankee way" has been succesfull. Scragly hair, full beards, whatever....the Sox spent the money. Just like the Yankees have. THe Sox imported the big time pitcher, just like the Yankees have.
Steinbrenner has a right to make the rules that he wants. It's HIS team and HIS money. I getting Stienbrenner money requites a clean shaven face, so be it. Otherwise, last I saw, there were plenty of other teams for players to seek employment. Like King George himself said, if you are going to march in his army, then you have to do so by his rules. Those rules do not seem to halt any amount of players from seeking employment by the 'Yanks.
The fact of the matter is that for all of the anti-Yankees fans that flog King George, ALMOST ALL of them wish for an owner like him. An owner who funnels the money that his team makes BACK INTO the team. Maybe if more owners would use their profits to build their teams, instead of their wallet size, there would be more than just the Yankees appearing in championship game or World Series games.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers