Any foul ball stories?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:50 pm

ensanimal wrote:
LBJackal wrote:I have a few balls....

8-o :-b

(o) (o) (o)

Jealous? :-D

I have a few Expos autographs too... the first time they came to SkyDome for an interleague game David Segui, FP Santangelo, Grudz and a couple other shmoes signed a ball I had. It probably lowered the value of it :-b Too bad I hadn't heard of Vlad at the time. Pedro had a 3-hit gem that night as well.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:00 pm

LBJackal wrote:
ensanimal wrote:
LBJackal wrote:I have a few balls....

8-o :-b

(o) (o) (o)

Jealous? :-D

I have a few Expos autographs too... the first time they came to SkyDome for an interleague game David Segui, FP Santangelo, Grudz and a couple other shmoes signed a ball I had. It probably lowered the value of it :-b Too bad I hadn't heard of Vlad at the time. Pedro had a 3-hit gem that night as well.

Brings up an interesting story...or not really a story, but my mom's a masseuse and FP Santangelo and Glenalan Hill used to be clients of hers. Anyway, kinda off topic, but just thought I'd share.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby ensanimal » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:06 pm

fp was the greatest ;-D

used to get a couple of the expos come to where i used to work. mordecai actually left some tickets to games for me a couple of times. ;-D
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby DaQ » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:17 pm

I've had a few get thrown up to me at Shea, like Armando Benitez, Steve Traschel and Jaime Cerda. My little sister, who was 8 at the time got a ball from Luis Castillo and we got him to sign it. Matt Morris signed a ball as well (one he threw up to me). Fernando Vina (when he was good), Roger Cedeno, Vance Wilson and Sean Green (my dad at first thought he was Gagne lol) are a few others that I've gotten autographs from at a game.

I also asked Darryl Kile for a ball when I was at Shea. He promised me I'd get one since I was the only one there (or at least who saw him) and it was in the rain In fact, he said "count on it." He never gave me the ball....he passed away soon after. X-I

My dad actually got one when he was growing up. It was Seaver vs Gibson. Gibson was hitting and he fouled one into the stands. It hit my dad's mom in the stomach and my dad recovered it on the ground. She wasn't seriously hurt, but Seaver vs Gibson is pretty sweet (its whereabouts remain lol).
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Caught a Nettles HR in RF at Yankee Stadium. :-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Fireball Express » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:06 am

Never caught a foul ball and I've been to hundreds of baseball games. Today I thought for sure I was bound to catch one w/ David Wright fouling so many off. They kept going way over my head. Guess I was too close to the field.

I did, however, catch a hockey puck once back in 1984 at an Islander game. Not really sure who's stick it went off of.

Also almost caught a golf ball at the 1984 US Open at Wingedfoot. Sitting at the 18th hole bleechers, the guy behind me caught a errant Greg Norman approach shot. Funny I saw a replay of it on the Golf Channel once. Strange to see yourself on TV, but years younger.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:43 am

Fireball Express wrote:Never caught a foul ball and I've been to hundreds of baseball games. Today I thought for sure I was bound to catch one w/ David Wright fouling so many off. They kept going way over my head. Guess I was too close to the field.

I did, however, catch a hockey puck once back in 1984 at an Islander game. Not really sure who's stick it went off of.

Also almost caught a golf ball at the 1984 US Open at Wingedfoot. Sitting at the 18th hole bleechers, the guy behind me caught a errant Greg Norman approach shot. Funny I saw a replay of it on the Golf Channel once. Strange to see yourself on TV, but years younger.

I have caught 2 hockey pucks in practice before the game. 1 actually but I got 2 pucks. I gave my friend a ticket and the puck was flipped up for the 2nd 1. Right as I was going to catch it, my friend bumped me and caught it. I turned around and was ready to deck him but he gave me the puck. :-)

Was that guy able to keep the ball (at the Open)?? I would assume that if the ball was still in play, he wouldn't have been able to keep it.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Fireball Express » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:41 am

No, He couldn't keep the ball. Norman ended up making a sick shot and forced a playoff round vs Fuzzy for the next day. Fuzzy won it though.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:45 am

I've been to like 10 Ranger games and have caught 2 foul balls. That's a pretty good percentage. One of them I was leaning over a 2nd deck rail and caught it in my glove, I got a cheer from the crowd around me. I was like 13 or 14 at the time.

I remember one of them was from Richard Hidalgo (Texas/Houston spring training game) but I can't remember who the other one was from at the moment...it wasn't anyone that famous.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Previous

Return to General Talk