Any foul ball stories? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Any foul ball stories?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any foul ball stories?

Postby nsulham » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:03 pm

Finally caught my first foul ball yesterday. Granted it was only a AAA game (Richmond Braves) but it was an Andy Marte foul so if I had to catch a minor league foul guess I caught a good one :-)

Anyways, I was up in the grandstand right behind homeplate and it came flying back. No glove so I sidestepped it and figured I'd catch it on the rebound since there was no one behind me. Rather have my hand or my head than a foul ball ;-7

So how many fouls balls has everyone caught, caught any from any stars, any good stories?
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:01 pm

When I was in school about 11 years ago my roommate and I went to an Expos game and started talking to Barry Bonds. He was talking back to some hecklers and was in a friendly mood. Since we were nice to him he tossed a fould ball to my roommate. She was looking the other way and the ball hit her in the shoulder. Some guys sitting behind us jumped down and got the ball but she still talks about getting plunked by Barry.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby Madison » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:14 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:When I was in school about 11 years ago my roommate and I went to an Expos game and started talking to Barry Bonds. He was talking back to some hecklers and was in a friendly mood. Since we were nice to him he tossed a fould ball to my roommate. She was looking the other way and the ball hit her in the shoulder. Some guys sitting behind us jumped down and got the ball but she still talks about getting plunked by Barry.

See? Barry's a mean, mean man. :-[

Hehehehe.....Just kidding, just kidding, don't kill me Wrveres. :-o

Been to a few hundred games myself, but never been lucky enough to catch a foul ball. Maybe someday. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby SuptownSpartans34 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:35 pm

@ my second MLB game ever, I didn't catch it but it bounced of the guy behind me, and then I caught it. Marty Cordova hit it. The Twins were doing some promotion which was in the 4th inning if a foul ball is hit in the stands, and you get it, the player had to sign it and you would receive it in the mail. So now I have a Marty Cordova signed ball.

And last year my friend actually caught a Cristian Guzman foul ball.
Woo Badgers
SuptownSpartans34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pacman » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:25 pm

I have a pretty good one:

It was 1983, Fenway Park. I was sitting in the second row, on the aisle, at that point that juts out just past third base. The aisle gave me excellent access to the rail for foul balls, but none had come my way... till the 6th inning.

Dennis Eckersley on the mound for the Sox, Paul Molitor at bat. Ground ball foul, not headed my way, but I jumped up on instinct. Ball hits the lip of the 3rd base coaching box, changes direction and is rolling on a line right toward me. It hit the base of the wall, bounced straight up, into my hands.

The kick -- Eckersley AND Molitor were BOTH inducted into the HoF together last year!

I still have the ball. I wish I could get them to sign it.

That's my brush with foul ball greatness.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:07 pm

been to about 100 major league games and probably 1000 minor league games,,,,, i have never been lucky enough to catch a foul ball.... but my grandaddy back in the mid 80s at Atlanta, caught 2 in the same game,,,, one off the bat of dale murphy(my favorite player growing up), and one off the bat of mike schmidt(his favorite player during the 80s)..... my wife has probably caught 3 or 4 at the minor league games and heck even my 6 year old daughter has caught 2 (well they were sorta of handed to her,,,but one of them is signed by adam miller, top prospect of cleveland)......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eftda » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:14 pm

Well, I was talking to my friend whos never been to a game before and a ball flew right past my head and hit the guy infront of me in the back. I didn't react because everyone around us was going crazy. Oh well.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:15 pm

I have a few balls... didn't actually catch any during games though. Once, a long time ago when I went to tons of Jays games (my dad split season tickets with the co-owner of his company so I went to dozens every season) Joe Carter hit one foul toward the third base line where I was, about 6 rows back. I ran down to try and get it, missed it, but the ball boy tossed it to me anyway. Also around that time I showed up a while before the game started and Mike Timlin was in the outfield for some reason... he looked at me as if to see if I was ready to catch the ball, then threw it and I caught it on two bounces from CF :-D He signed it about an hour later right before the game. I also got a BP foul ball which Carlos Delgado came over and signed.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:19 pm

Once caught an Archi Cianfrocco foul ball on the third base side (never sit on first base side). I was sitting in the loge section at Qualcomm. Never have gotten real close to a foul ball since with the exception of a Craig Jefferies homerun ball at the Vet that my uncle caught.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby ensanimal » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:34 pm

LBJackal wrote:I have a few balls....

8-o :-b

never was able to catch a foul ball :,-( got mike mordecai to toss me one at the big o once, signed it for me and everything. ;-D
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 108)

Next

Return to General Talk