Postby brandnew » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:47 pm

Trade Kearns for Davies :-D
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Vetterstrom » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:08 pm

I live in T.O., and I remember there were some rumours flying around before the season Kearns might be traded to the Jays. Haven't heard anything since.
Vetterstrom
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Boiler13 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:15 am

I know the Nats were showing some serious interest late in spring training and the Reds sent some scouts to the Nats' camp to see if there was anything available worth giving up Wily Mo for. But, I haven't heard anything since the season started.
CF
Boiler13
T-Ball Trainer

Postby ensanimal » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:22 am

Boiler13 wrote:I know the Nats were showing some serious interest late in spring training and the Reds sent some scouts to the Nats' camp to see if there was anything available worth giving up Wily Mo for. But, I haven't heard anything since the season started.

the nats were checking him out in ST because bowden is in love with him. he bombed in ST though, may have put some doubts into their minds.

rumors also had it that the reds asked for livan and hinckley in a deal for pena.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 108)

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:30 am

If the Reds could find any way possible to trade Griffey (even if it means eating some of his contract), my personal feeling is that it would be for the best. Send him to the AL to a rich team that can afford to take a chance on a high risk/high reward slugger and allow Pena to play CF even though it's not his natural position. A young OF of Dunn, Kearns, and Pena is awfully impressive, and I personally think Griffey would get more in a trade anyways if you eat some of his contract. Pena's trade value is going to stay pretty low until he can prove he is able to hit at least slighly for average, which he won't be able to prove until he gets playing time.

Kind of a bad situation for the Reds...although having a "backup" like Pena is exactly a bad situation I guess. ;-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby jayman » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:20 am

Reading thismakes me wanna grab hit right now!
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby phunkadelic » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:50 am

Barring an injury or trade (which is looking not so likely right now), I'd see Pena getting 300-400 ABs this season.

Dunn and Kearns are both better than Pena, and Griffey's making 12 Mil a year. Yes, there will be some sort of semi-rotation of OFs, but Pena will probably get the least ABs of the four, unless he can stay this hot all year (which won't come close to happening).

If he does become full-time, I'd see him hitting about .220 with 45+ HR (plus some dreadful defense, which is one of the main reasons he's not full-time right now).
phunkadelic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby baseballnewb » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:52 am

Kearns has had one really good month in his career and it was multiple injuries ago. While I think the reds will stick with him there is absolutely no gaurentee he is going to be a great hitter like so many people assume every year.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:54 am

baseballnewb wrote:Kearns has had one really good month in his career and it was multiple injuries ago. While I think the reds will stick with him there is absolutely no gaurentee he is going to be a great hitter like so many people assume every year.

It's not always what you see on the Major League fields. He dominated the minor leagues, and I also think that the Reds coaches have seen what he can do in the batting cages. You have to think that they know more about his potential than we do...and if they're playing him over Pena, that means he's got a lot of it.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby baseballnewb » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:00 pm

I'm sure he does have potential, but people assume he'll hit like 290 with 35 HR if he's healthy all year. He just as easily could pull a 250 avg with 25 HR regardless of how much 'potential' he has.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers