BJ Upton the fielding machine...... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

BJ Upton the fielding machine......

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

BJ Upton the fielding machine......

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:12 am

this is just mind boggling.... he has 8 errors this year in the teams first 10 games.... i would not even have a little league SS have 8 errors in 10 games...... geeesh,,, buddy watch the ball into the glove and then make a strong accurate throw to first base......

to make things worse his BA is hovering around .200, basically only because he went 2 for 5 in yesterdays game........

oh well get ready for the OF Mr. Upton....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:33 pm

At this point I think it is more of a mental thing for him. I saw some of one of his recent games and he had trouble with a pop up in the wind, then tried to back hand another and bobbled it. It just looks like to me that he is pressing, which I think is effecting his whole game at the moment. I also think that what they did with him last year in the bigs didn't help at all either.

If he can't get this under control he is most likely headed for 3B, cause there really isn't room in the OF unless Delmon moves to 1st base.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:42 pm

hybrid wrote:
If he can't get this under control he is most likely headed for 3B, cause there really isn't room in the OF unless Delmon moves to 1st base.

delmon might better get used to the 1b mitt then imo.... 3b is just a little bit tougher than SS when u factor out fielding range, which upton does not really have a problem with......... i really hope upton can get his problems straightened out, but he definitely has some work to do......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hybrid » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:42 pm

I don't think 3B would be harder for Upton. His biggest problem is himself and fundamentals, a new position (if it comes to that) might actually help him. At 3B, it's not as much as fundamentals, things happen quicker and he has good reaction speed and is a very good athlete. I think 3B would be better option cause he has less time to think about things.

The biggest case to move him to 3B though is the organization itself. There is no 3B in the system (unless you consider Brignac, and he is a ways off) and it only requires moving one guy. If you move Upton to the OF then he is learning a new position, Delmon is learning a new position at 1B, and then you force Huff to 3B/DH where he isn't that good on defense. I think it causes to much movement and chaos, especially for the two corner stones of your franchise IMO.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Surfs up » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:17 pm

The fielding must be affecting Uptons hitting because he isn't doing well so far.With all that happening he could spend most of the season in th minors. You don't just get better. It takes time. On defense I mean. Now its in his head. Remember Chuck Knobloch. He suddenly could throw to first and it affected his hitting. He was out of baseball soon after.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 197)

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:21 pm

5 games in a row now with not errors,,,, his batting is also starting to heat up as well...... ;-D ;-D
raiders_umpire

Postby Surfs up » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:43 am

He maybe a hitting machine but he is up to 13 errors. Three more in the last three days. That may work in the minors but it won't push Lugo or Cantu out of a spot.Not even Gonzalaz at third shoulf be worried. He is more then holding his own. Where will Upton play? Hmmm Can you say DH?
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 197)

Postby The Punisher » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:19 am

Why don't they just make Upton a DH, its obvious his only strong spot is hitting and that hes a terrible fielder, so why even play him in the infield or outfield.
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hybrid » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:12 pm

The Punisher wrote:Why don't they just make Upton a DH, its obvious his only strong spot is hitting and that hes a terrible fielder, so why even play him in the infield or outfield.

A few obvious reasons:

1) he is only 20
2) he won't be bad everywhere, it's not like he is David Ortiz
3) his problem is fundamentals, not his range, not his arm ... he has all the talent to be very good in the field, it just might not be at the premuim position of SS

Sorry but that was a really silly question IMO.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby nueshler » Mon May 02, 2005 12:33 am

Forget BJ, his brother Justin will be the number one overall draft pick this year. He is a MONSTER
nueshler
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball