SLOW STARTS...... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

SLOW STARTS......

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who will be the NL Cy Young Winner this year??

Curt Schilling
6%
Roy Oswalt
No votes
Kevin Millwood
13%
Mark Prior
63%
Other
19%

Total votes : 16

SLOW STARTS......

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue May 13, 2003 9:19 pm

I have a few questions.......starting with Pat Burrell. It was hard not to draft this guy after his great season last year, so I did. Off to a hideous start, he has played decently the this past week and may be turning it around. He homered tonight, going 2-3 so far, and as of now they are in the 7th inning. Does anyone think he can repeat last years stats, and maybe go beyond (40 homers, 120 rbis)?? Also, such pitchers as Schilling, Oswalt, and Halladay. These three are my top 3 coming into the season, and now Millwood has surpassed them all. Schilling has been injured and very inconsistent, one game allowing 5 runs in 4 innings, the next pitching a shutout. Halladay started off like crap, but has won his last few decisions (could this be a turnaround?). Oswalt has not looked like he did last year at all. His k's have been decent but basically nothing else is up to par. Any thoughts on any of these three and Burrell??
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sinicalypse » Tue May 13, 2003 9:59 pm

welp, i got halladay in one of my 3 leagues and i was stoked. then he kinda stank. i cut him, re-acquired him, then re-cut him... someone finally nabbed him after his 2 ER performance last night. i hear he's an atrocious april pitcher then lights out down the stretch.

schill? i was saying earlier that this guy is the prime candidate to get the fork stuck in him. people have debated with me on this and thrown #s at me... but i remember schill's era rising up from the low 2s to the mid-high 2s by the end of last season.. he got beat in the playoffs...a nd has been giving up his fair share of ER this season, granted with a good # of Ks. he's got a 3.92 era, 1.04 whip, and 46 K in 6 starts. so it looks like he'll get you a load of strikeouts... but his only super-dominant performance was against the pir8s.. hmm. i think schilling can and will get rocked more than he did last year. sure, he'll throw some gems here and there... but i see him having an era around 3.5... a record like 17-12 with a 3.63 era, 250-275K, and a 1.1-1.2 whip. i think he's a good pitcher, but i don't think he's a great pitcher anymore. 17 wins might be a stretch. i could see him going like 15-12, 15-8, something like that. i think he'll have some dominant games, he'll have some games where he gives up 5 ER and strikes out 9 in 6 or 7 innings... but i dont think he's going to be more valuable than prior, vazquez, pedro, zito, mulder, etc. i think he's a tier or two below this year.

as for oswalt... shoot, i don't follow the guy all that much, but from the stats i've checked out... he looks like he'll be OK. he's been giving up 2 or 3 runs a start, striking out a decent # of guys... he's only imploded once for 10 runs ( 5 earned) he's given up a lot of HRs (7) which i think has contributed to his mediocrity. actually, barring injury potential (he seems to sling the ball and use a lot of his arm when he throws), i think he's a savvy pickup right now while he hasn't been all that dominating. if he can get the HR ball under control, you're looking at a guy who would be giving up 1 or 2 runs a game with a 2.something era and have 4 to 6 wins right now. i wouldn't worry that much about him unless the HRs don't stop going out, or if he starts giving up 4 or more runs semi-regularly.

burrell? dunno there really. i had him last season in my main league and he was a pleasant surprise. the power is there, he's not really a for-average hitter.. so i think people are growing impatient in waiting for him to start going bananas and get near the top of the HR leader board. he has 7 now, which isn't great, but isn't all that discouraging. i'd look for him to finish with 35 home runs or so. he's one of the more powerful bats in the game, he just hasn't matured into a fully fearsome hitter yet. when he does, i think you'll see that 45+ HR season that people believe he'll have... many thought that it would be this season, but he's looking like 35-40 again. as for the RBIs... well that's a crapshoot. right now he could go anywhere from 90-130, depending on how hot he gets, and how many other phillies get on base for him.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby bleach168 » Tue May 13, 2003 11:07 pm

I voted Prior, but I think Wolf should be one of the candidates. He normally starts off slow and gets stronger in the second half.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby BankRoll » Tue May 13, 2003 11:18 pm

I'm liking Millwood right now. Take out that one bad start and his line would read:

5W 0L 52K 2.16ERA 0.98WHIP in 50IP with 9.36K/9 and 3.71K/BB

As far as slow starts go, Edgardo Alfonzo gets my vote. As soon as the elite 3B went in the draft I figured I'd forget about that position and get Alfonzo late, so that's what I did and I got him in the 13th round. I figured "shit, a .300 hitter with 40 double and 25HR credentials batting after Barry Bonds in the 13th round is a steal."

Then he proceeded to bat .167 in April with 1 double and 1HR. Good thing someone dropped Koskie and I was able to pick him up. Alfonzo seems to have turned it around in May. So far this month (counting his AB from today's still unfinished game) he is:
14 for 39 with 3 doubles and 2HR ;-D
BankRoll
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sinicalypse » Wed May 14, 2003 1:12 am

i'd take prior over millwood, even with his loss, you've got:

5-1, 2.13 ERA, 1.06 WHIP in 54 IP with 10.31 K/9 and 3.94 K/BB

sure the WHIP is a little higher, but i still think that despite the no hitter, prior is the better pitcher of the two. he's doing more with less of an offense, hell, he is the offense sometimes.

without his one loss, you've got

5-0, 1.83 era, dunno the whip, in 49 IP with a 10.46 K/9 and a 4.07 K/BB

i think you'd be hard pressed to find any other pitcher with better #s than that. mulder has been impressive, but i dont think he has the strikeout stuff that prior has, although he's just as, if not more, effective.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed May 14, 2003 6:22 am

I have Wolf also lol. I guess my team is the leading contender to get the NL CY Young Winner. Thanks for the help guys.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers