Delmon Young - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Delmon Young

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby dkakridas » Sun May 08, 2005 8:16 pm

good point....

the speed has been a real suprise. Without question, when Delmon (and Gathright) get up to the bigs later this summer, along with the return of Rocco, the Rays will surely lead the majors in steals and triples.

You gotta love the talent that's building in Tampa Bay. Now if Naimoli, Lou and Lamar can just stay out of the way! :-)

Go Delmon! Hope Gathright is right there with you.
dkakridas
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Shock6822 » Sun May 08, 2005 8:28 pm

I'd be surprised if he was called up this year knowing Piniella....look what's going on with Upton/Gathright (granted Upton's D sucks, but still)
Shock6822
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dkakridas » Sun May 08, 2005 8:33 pm

I agree- TB mishandles their players in a big way however, I tend to think, and I think most others will as well, Delmon Young is a speacial 2-way talent that is in another league than Upton and Gathright. Delmon can bring a whole new level of excitement to TB franchise and fill the stands. He is an impact type player than can turn the entire franchise around.

Even Lou must know this. Again, bet on an early August debut for the next great OF superstar in the majors. 2005 will be a breaking in period but expect big numbers right out of the gate in 2006.

Brighter times indeed, lay ahead for TB fans.
dkakridas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun May 08, 2005 8:55 pm

dkakridas wrote:I have talked to many Rays insiders and they just about unanimously agree that Delmon will be up this year and not to much later after the all star break (early August).

you might be right, but i have a very good friend at durham and he is pretty positive the plans are for young to come to AAA around june or july and stay there the entire year.... but as a rays fan, i hope you are right and my buddy with the bulls wrong....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dkakridas » Sun May 08, 2005 9:01 pm

elite prospects usually never go to AAA. They jump straight from AA to the majors ala Miguel Cabrera.

I sincelrely doubt that Delmon would be sent to AAA. That would be wishful thinking for people from Durham but Delmon has absolutely nothing to prove in AAA. Delmon was the best hitter in spring training, a man among boys in the the AFL and is currently toying with minors. Delmon can help the Rays right now- why wait- especially when they are in desperate need of a RF and cleanup hitter. Do you know that TB is the only team in the majors without a homer from their cleanup position? That is pathetic and that's where Delmon comes in.
dkakridas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Sun May 08, 2005 9:20 pm

I think he could make a stop in AAA, but if he keeps hitting the way he has ... there really is no need.

Upton is at Durham only cause of his defense, his bat is ready. Gathright is in the minors cause we have a dumb front office and is not viewed as an elite player/prospect. Delmon doesn't have either of these problems, which is why I think it is likely he could go straight to the majors (or just a small stop in AAA).

Normally I would agree on the whole Lou and young players issue, but I think it's different with Delmon. He made such a big impression on Lou in ST that I think Lou's stance on young players isn't much of an issue with him.

They will of course try and keep him down as long as possible though, to try and save time on his arbitration years.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby hybrid » Mon May 30, 2005 2:43 am

He is currently on pace for a 30/60 season. 8-o
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon May 30, 2005 9:59 am

dkakridas wrote:elite prospects usually never go to AAA. They jump straight from AA to the majors ala Miguel Cabrera.

I sincelrely doubt that Delmon would be sent to AAA. That would be wishful thinking for people from Durham but Delmon has absolutely nothing to prove in AAA. Delmon was the best hitter in spring training, a man among boys in the the AFL and is currently toying with minors. Delmon can help the Rays right now- why wait- especially when they are in desperate need of a RF and cleanup hitter. Do you know that TB is the only team in the majors without a homer from their cleanup position? That is pathetic and that's where Delmon comes in.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him at AAA. D. Wright went to AAA, Marte and Fielder are at AAA as is Felix. My observation is that going from AA to the majors isn't as common.

Either way, D. Young looks to be a great player for the Rays. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to see him first hand, whenever that may be.

Now if the Rays could just develop some pitching prospects.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby dkakridas » Mon May 30, 2005 10:02 am

yeah I think it's more of a function of the need at the major league level. AAA can be viewed as a way to stall Delmon's arrival to put off his arbitration timeline. I don't think he has anything to prove there. TB needs to do something to put people in the seats.

My guess is late July for Delmon in TB after a short 2 weeks stint at Durham.
dkakridas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dkakridas » Tue May 31, 2005 1:14 am

Delmon on fire!!

Another HR tonight. He looks like a man possesed. He wants to follow Orvella to the show and the way TB's pitching is, they will need to score alot more runs to win games.

Trade Huff and give Delmon his RF position already! The Rays are not going to go anywhere without Delmon batting fourth and manning the cannon in right.
dkakridas
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball