Best Team, Worst Production - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best Team, Worst Production

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best Team, Worst Production

Postby Gmogd » Tue May 13, 2003 8:16 pm

Here's a thread I bet some frustrated owners will want to comment on... Did you put together a team that should have you at #1 in the league only to find your team doing horribly? Who managed to put together the best team while having the worst production? I'm sure someone out there can put me to shame, but so far with a fairly impressive, well balanced lineup I'm in 8th in a 10 team 5x5 roto league.

OF: Vlad, Manny, Magglio, Erstad, Corey Patterson
IF: Jason Giambi, Jeff Kent, Jimmy Rollins, Mike Lowell
C: Ramon Hernandez, Toby Hall
U: Rich Aurilia, Carl Crawford

SP: Schilling, Buehrle, Maddux, Beckett, Pineiro, Ohka
RP: Wagner, Izzy, Dotel, Braden Looper, Mantei

The starting pitching is especially harsh. Not one of those guys has lived up to expectations, let alone surpassed any of them. Thats a 24 man team with 3 injuries and I'd say 12 underachievers vs. 1 overacheiver.
Gmogd
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Soaring like a dove. Right in front of a Randy Johnson fastball.

Postby sinicalypse » Tue May 13, 2003 9:37 pm

alright, my yahoo public team has been underachieving... the pitching is solid stuff all around the board, but the offense is pretty lamentable to date:

c - mike matheny (originally... jason la rue, a late round stopgap, basically)
1b - richie sexson (no complaints here)
EX-1b - paul konerko (he sucked, period. managed to get woody williams for him straight up, though)
2b - luis castillo (has been actually solid. .320ish, 9 or 10 steals, 2 HR. i was hoping for him to be a league leader in steals tho, i think juan pierre has about 17)
SS - orlando cabrera (originally jose valentin, who started off fine... has settled down, then next thing you know, hey, there's cabrera and he's pretty hot right now)
3B - joe randa (decent, but slowing down. originally joe crede, who started off like .300, but the power and RBIs are just not htere)
OF - vladimir guerrero (heard he might have a nagging elbow injury. not terrible #s, but not top 5 pick in the draft #s by any stretch)
OF - manny ramirez (he's doing pretty well, i suppose, like .336/4/24, but you'd figure it'd be like .336/8/38 by now)
OF - carlos beltran (slow start, but picking it up pretty nicely, originally pat burrell, who hit .200ish with like 2 HR and 7 RBI for the first 3 weeks of the season in which i had him)
util - aubrey huff (no problems here either, someone cut him and he was a FA!)
bench/util/ETC - raul ibanez (started real hot, but has simmered down. still hitting above .300, which is nice for a slumping guy. i was hoping he'd be like .310/8/30 by now early in the season)
bench - alex gonzalez (just picked him up off of waivers, but i'm leaving cabrera in for now)

other guys who have spent time on the team:

carlos lee (nabbed him near the end of his 5 straight games with a HR binge, he hit like .200 for me with maybe 1 or 2 hr and a SB in a 1-2 week stint)
hee seop choi (still a work in progress, hit about .200 when i had him and had a few days off that gave me nothing)
adam dunn (i had him for literally one day. traded for him, then traded him and wolf away for javier vazquez. turns out i could use the bat way more than i thought, and vazquez has given up like 10 ER in his last two starts, the ones i've had him for, coincidentally)

SP - mark prior (no complaints whatsoever)
SP - mark buehrle (pitching somewhat crappy, but getting no run support. he's like 2-6 with a 3.86 ERA)
SP - javier vazquez (just traded for him, and he's given up 10 ER in his two starts for me, i was jinxed)
EX-SP - randy wolf (used him as vazquez bait after a bad outing, but still, will have a good season)
EX-SP - runlevys hernandez (used him as adam dunn bait, started off on fire for me, simmered down, traded while the value was high)
SP - woody williams (good solid underrated pitcher)
EX-SP - horacio ramirez (jekyll and hyde. guess which end i caught... benched him for a shutout in puerto rico)
EX-SP - ramon ortiz (one start, 12.27 era, nuff said)
EX-SP - elmer dessens (not looking like the NL era champ that he was for most of last season. two starts then the b00t)
SP - zach day (accidentally had him benched during his CG shutout @ mil, got rocked the next time out, dropped him, picked him back up after a good game last night, has compiled a 10.80 ERA for me accordingly)
SP (DL) - tony armas jr - i figured him to be the premier sleeper pitcher of the season, and i was right, until he gave up 4 HR in one game... then he got injured. hope he comes back strong)

RP - jose mesa (solid closer, no complaints)
RP - billy koch (figured he was a shoo-in for a 40 save year with a good white sox team. turns out that neither he nor the team is all that great)
EX-RP - kelvim escobar (cheap saves, then sucked. traded, dropped by the guy i traded him to, then re-acquired. dropped after losing closer role, ironically right after a good stretch of games where he hadn't given up a run in 5 innings with 3 or 4 saves)
RP - rocky biddle (has gotten rocked a couple of times, but looks like a solid closer for the mighty expos)
EX-RP - brandon lyon (never seemed to have him in the lineup when he got a save op)

and that is the squad, or at least 95% of them. currently 6th place out of 12, hitting like .264, 41 hr, 150 or 160 rbi.. either way, the offense isn't anything too good, while the pitching is in the upper third or upper half of every category.

so far, the only big regret is the adam dunn trade... i should have held on to him and wolf and not dove into javvy vazquez... but having watched vazquez strike out 14 @ wrigley in 7 innings this season, and looking at his gaudy #s, i figured he was a top 5 pitcher in fantasy baseball... maybe these 10 ER in 2 games are just a rough patch, but i hope this trend doesn't continue.. then you find out he has arm problems. that would kill me. without vazquez's 10 ER and with the ~4-5 HR that dunn has hit since i've traded him, i'd probably be up in 4th or third right now. that's like a 8 point swing.. downwards.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sponge » Tue May 13, 2003 9:39 pm

10-man 5x5 roto league...and i'm in 4th... :-t

C Rodriguez, Ivan (C-Fla) CUtilBench @SD 7:05pm PDT -/- - - - - -
1B Delgado, Carlos (1B-Tor) 1B TB Top 9th -/- - - - - -
2B Young, Eric (2B-Mil) 2B ChC Bot 6th -/- - - - - -
3B Chavez, Eric (3B-Oak) 3B @Det Final -/- - - - - -
SS Hernandez, Jose (SS-Col) SS NYM Top 2nd -/- - - - - -