House That Big Stein Built: Yankee Stadium is "Outta Here!!" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

House That Big Stein Built: Yankee Stadium is "Outta Here!!"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

House That Big Stein Built: Yankee Stadium is "Outta Here!!"

Postby Y`s Guy » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:40 am

All great things must come to an end, I guess. Props to Big Stein for not taking $$$ from the public to build this new Mecca.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2038623
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 278)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby jayman » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:52 am

what, no retractable roof??????? It's friggen cold in early april and especially in late october early november :-D
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wieds » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:02 pm

I heard its gonna hold 7000 less seats. In a stadium that sells out all the time this is a disgrace. It just shows that owners only care about making money, not letting loyal fans have access to tickets.

This stadium should have more seats, not more luxury boxes
wieds
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby FlawedReasoning » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:58 pm

Fewer seats, more luxury boxes... There's no way to describe just how much that sucks. :-t

Makes me sick. :-P
FlawedReasoning
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GiantFan666 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:07 pm

Well, looks like I have to get off my ass now and plan a trip to the Bronx sometime in the next coupla years so I can see a game in Yankee Stadium before they tear it down
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:46 pm

Woah. I can't believe the city would let them do this. Can you imagine if they wanted to tear down Wrigley? The ownership would get CRUCIFIED. But get ready Yanks fans, this sounds eerily like what they did to Soldier Field.

"It will resemble the old stadium on the exterior wall, and then there will be the interior stadium"

For anyone unaware, Soldier Field was the old stadium the Bears played in. It had distinctive columnades that were recognizable. Rather than get rid of them, they put a large flying saucer on top of them. Its pretty atrocious. And thats what is going to happen to Yankee Stadium.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Conner » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:49 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Woah. I can't believe the city would let them do this. Can you imagine if they wanted to tear down Wrigley? The ownership would get CRUCIFIED. But get ready Yanks fans, this sounds eerily like what they did to Soldier Field.

Stadiums don't last forever, dude. They've got to take them down at some point...

Do you realize that a huge chuck of cement fell off of the upper deck onto a seat in the lower deck a couple of years ago? If a game had been in progress at the time, at least one person would've been killed.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Viper8437 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:51 pm

the reason for less seats
is so that less fans have to see rivera face the redsox
reyes is my homeboy
Viper8437
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:55 pm

Conner wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Woah. I can't believe the city would let them do this. Can you imagine if they wanted to tear down Wrigley? The ownership would get CRUCIFIED. But get ready Yanks fans, this sounds eerily like what they did to Soldier Field.

Stadiums don't last forever, dude. They've got to take them down at some point...

Do you realize that a huge chuck of cement fell off of the upper deck onto a seat in the lower deck a couple of years ago? If a game had been in progress at the time, at least one person would've been killed.

Huge? It wasn't huge. Whats your definition of huge? When I hear huge, I think a boulder. It probably could have killed someone, but it didn't. And its called repairs. Its a handy thing you can do to buildings to make them last for a real, real long time.
(Are you talking about Wrigley, which I'm aware of, or something at Yankee, which I'm not aware of with the concrete.)
I just think its sort of pathetic that they are going to rip down such a baseball monument, so they can have more luxury seats. Please don't tell me its for safety reasons. If it was safety reasons, they wouldn't be allowed to have fans there. Steinbrenner just wants to rake in more money than he already does by replacing the regular seats with luxury seats for his rich New York buddies.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Conner » Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:00 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
Conner wrote:

Huge? It wasn't huge. Whats your definition of huge? When I hear huge, I think a boulder. It probably could have killed someone, but it didn't. And its called repairs. Its a handy thing you can do to buildings to make them last for a real, real long time.
(Are you talking about Wrigley, which I'm aware of, or something at Yankee, which I'm not aware of with the concrete.)

I'm talking about Yankee Stadium. It was a very large chuck of cement.

The fact of the matter is...Yankee Stadium has been refurbished. It just can't be done forever, over and over again. At some point, you need to have a new stadium built. The Yankees have done very well over the last 10 years or so...and they've got the money to make the change now. What's the big deal?
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers