Takatsu - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Takatsu

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:42 am

thehat wrote:
asumikey222 wrote:I doubt Hermanson will be the closer; if things keep falling apart it'll be just a pure closer-by-committee, in which case they're all worthless in all but deep leagues.

Had it not been for how impressive Hermanson was in this role last year for SF, I would agree. But in this case, I'll hope you're wrong. I really like Hermanson in this role, and will hope Ozzie does as well...although I do see a committee of sorts for now with Takatsu still in the lead, just not for long.

The trick delivery is not working anymoe. Ozzie already lost his patience and we are 8 games into the season. This sort of thing gets in your head especially with a weak tosser like Takatsu.

Agreed on Hermanson. Marte demonstrated many times that he is not suited to be the closer. Hermanson proved he could close and he's bailed out the 'closer' two times in 3 days now.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bboy » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:18 am

asumikey222 wrote:I doubt Hermanson will be the closer; if things keep falling apart it'll be just a pure closer-by-committee, in which case they're all worthless in all but deep leagues.

If Takatsu keeps blowing it and keeps getting bailed out by Hermanson why would they go to committee and not just go with Hermanson?
bboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RawTalent » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:54 am

You guys need to remember that it took a while for Ozzie to warm to Takatsu last year, as he stuck with Koch till about June. Koch!!

Now this could be interpreted as either good news or bad news for Takatsu.

It's good news if it was a sign that Ozzie is willing to stick with his incumbent for a couple of months. Last year, Takatsu was putting up zeros for two months straight before Ozzie switched. Could he really have been that persistent with wanting to keep Koch as the closer?

It's bad news, though, if it was a sign that Ozzie never really had confidence in Takatsu despite him putting up zeros.

Either way, I don't really smell a committee. In 2004, once Takatsu took over, the job was his. So if Takatsu continues to underimpress and Hermanson continues to be nails, I really doubt it will be a committee.
RawTalent
College Coach
College Coach

Postby NZF » Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:35 am

The only reason Ozzie went out and got Takatsu was because a leftie was up and it's obvious he hasn't got confidence in him in those situations. Marte came in and walked Ibanez and then Hermansen came in for the save.

I would say Takatsu still has the job but he's on a short leash and Hermansen will get more save chances for sure as well as the LHP Marte.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

sweet

Postby rs2k2 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:07 am

I have marte on my team (we count holds)...this is news i like to hear ;-D
rs2k2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby yellowdog » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:17 am

If a manager doesn't have confidence his closer can't get a lefty out, he shouldn't be in the mix to be the closer, and likely won't be for long. I have a feeling Hermanson will be the fulltime guy real soon.
"It's like a full-body dry-heave set to music"
yellowdog
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Secret Avatar » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:41 am

I picked up Hermanson off the free agent list a week or so ago. He saved 17 games last year, and while he's not an elite closer, he can get the job done. If the team trusted Takatsu, they wouldn't have signed Hermanson. I see a gradual shift in closing duties to Hermanson. He's already got 2 saves. Besides, they took Takatsu out last night after one out in the 9th and put in Hermanson! What does that tell you??

Even if Hermanson doesn't take over the full-time closer role, he's likely to continue to get more than a few cheap saves.

Plus, he's eligible at both SP and RP in yahoo, so you can stick him in either slot. This is a HUGE benefit to me, as my league only has 4 RP slots and I'm running 4 closers (Mota, Adams, C Cordero, and Lyon). So I stick Hermanson in one of the SP slots. I'm leading my league in saves by a large margin, and Mota hasn't done jack yet.

I'm interested to see how all this plays out, because my strategy was to pass on the expensive closers and fill out my roster with cheap-o guys I picked up at the end of the draft (Cordero and Adams) and off the free agent list (Lyon and Hermanson). I also picked up Gonzalez with the expectation that Mesa falters.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:41 am

Secret Avatar wrote:I picked up Hermanson off the free agent list a week or so ago. He saved 17 games last year, and while he's not an elite closer, he can get the job done. If the team trusted Takatsu, they wouldn't have signed Hermanson. I see a gradual shift in closing duties to Hermanson. He's already got 2 saves. Besides, they took Takatsu out last night after one out in the 9th and put in Hermanson! What does that tell you??

Even if Hermanson doesn't take over the full-time closer role, he's likely to continue to get more than a few cheap saves.

Plus, he's eligible at both SP and RP in yahoo, so you can stick him in either slot. This is a HUGE benefit to me, as my league only has 4 RP slots and I'm running 4 closers (Mota, Adams, C Cordero, and Lyon). So I stick Hermanson in one of the SP slots. I'm leading my league in saves by a large margin, and Mota hasn't done jack yet.

I'm interested to see how all this plays out, because my strategy was to pass on the expensive closers and fill out my roster with cheap-o guys I picked up at the end of the draft (Cordero and Adams) and off the free agent list (Lyon and Hermanson). I also picked up Gonzalez with the expectation that Mesa falters.

;-D I picked Ryan in the middle rounds and Looper later than he should have been around. Then I picked Gonzalez and Crain to round out my pen.

When Gagne went down, I picked up Brazoban and now Hermanson. I got Izzy in a trade (got rid of Gonzalez) so Hermanson's SP eligibilty will be key.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Par66 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:21 am

so drop Takatsu for Hermanson or other best available reliever on the WW????
Par66
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers