What happened to Affeldt - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What happened to Affeldt

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What happened to Affeldt

Postby Sunspot » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:56 pm

Seemed to be in line for a save then MacDougal came in for the last batter and stole the save.
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jmon » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:01 pm

He threw one ball to Guillen, the pitching coach came out, and then he was replaced. Might be injured, only saw the line.
Jmon
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby sammyfan711 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:06 pm

The announcers mentioned it might be his groin. His velocity was down as well, he didn't break 90mph.
sammyfan711
College Coach
College Coach

Postby coachdino » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:42 pm

I grabbed MacDougal...hopefully it' an injury (although I don't like saying that :-o ).
coachdino
College Coach
College Coach

Postby grammysboy » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:00 am

I watched the inning he pitched. He got the first two batters out with ease, then walked a batter and the whole Royals' dugout seemed to rush to the mound. Affeldt was not happy about comming out at all. The pitching coach basically made him. I don't know if he made a noise or what, but they all came running. If you think the Royals are going to have any save opps this year, it's probably time to shift to McDougal.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby thehat » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:27 am

grammysboy wrote:I watched the inning he pitched. He got the first two batters out with ease, then walked a batter and the whole Royals' dugout seemed to rush to the mound. Affeldt was not happy about comming out at all. The pitching coach basically made him. I don't know if he made a noise or what, but they all came running. If you think the Royals are going to have any save opps this year, it's probably time to shift to McDougal.

I saw it as well, and it did look as though he was pretty unhappy, although I suspect that's over yet another injury. And if he did indeed tweak a groin, it's one of those injuries that never seems to go away. Bad news for his owners, obviously, if that's the case.

As for MacDougal, he's a horror show and if he is forced to close, he'll not last in the role. Just my opinion, but I'd avoid their entire bullpen if Affleldt is down, as I see more a rerun of last year when no one had a clue as to who Pena would tab with the game on the line.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:12 am

KC Homer here.....keep the name Andrew Sisco in mind. Affeldt is again showing his fragility. Mac is Kyle Farnsworth re-incarnated. He will be bi-polar in save opps. I like him as a back of the bullpen guy. He doesnt have th mental makeup of a closer or even setup guy.

Sisco is a Rule 5 guy from CHI Cubs. 2nd round pick in 2002 I think. check him out. 6'10, 270, and is nasty.
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby RawTalent » Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:10 am

Arrowhead Nation wrote:KC Homer here.....keep the name Andrew Sisco in mind. Affeldt is again showing his fragility. Mac is Kyle Farnsworth re-incarnated. He will be bi-polar in save opps. I like him as a back of the bullpen guy. He doesnt have th mental makeup of a closer or even setup guy.

Sisco is a Rule 5 guy from CHI Cubs. 2nd round pick in 2002 I think. check him out. 6'10, 270, and is nasty.

You really think Sisco has a better chance of closing than MacDougal? I doubt Pena would go to a guy whose highest level up to this point was single A, but who knows?

What i'd really like to see is ryan speier get some chances for the Rockies.
RawTalent
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bboy » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:02 am

Arrowhead Nation wrote:KC Homer here.....keep the name Andrew Sisco in mind. Affeldt is again showing his fragility. Mac is Kyle Farnsworth re-incarnated. He will be bi-polar in save opps. I like him as a back of the bullpen guy. He doesnt have th mental makeup of a closer or even setup guy.

Was just coming in to mention Sisco. 8 SO in 7.2 in .080 BAA, 2 ERs from 2 Hits and 3BB. I picked him up on spec in a 16 team league. I'd wait though in a 10 teamer.
bboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dkakridas » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:57 am

Is Affeldt's injury serious? Sisco is definitely a sleeper if it is because KC will have nothing to play for soon and can afford to see what their Rule 5 pick can do. They can't just bury him in the bullpen- the guy is a blue chip prospect who is going to get a lot better.

They could give him a shot at the setup role first and see how he does and then who knows...stranger things have happened and with Pena calling the shots....anything is possible.

I just picked him up in a 12 team AL only keeper league and he will be sitting on my reserve bench til the smoke clears on Affeldt.

Either way, BTW, I do not think Affeldt will ever be successful in the closer role and he is way too injury prone for my liking. if it's not one thing, it's another with Jeremy.
dkakridas
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers