A tough commish decision: - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A tough commish decision:

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby great gretzky » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:03 pm

am I drunk?

Its not a slam dunk trade for the schilling guy, but basically it is dunn and andruw jones (jones and green are surprisingly interchangable) for schilling. klesko sucks and should be waiver material. I don't think it is that bad. That is like 70 hrs -- dunn 40, jones 30. and 200 (about rbi) and 200 runs for 18-20 wins, 200 k's and good ratios, I think that is a good, good deal if you need power and depending on how the players are distributed.

I don't think this is a deal that anyone should be horrified at -- schilling should have been picked, what? one round prior to dunn? and andruw jone shigh enough to make up the difference?

I think it was probably dumb, as schilling was the guys ace undoubtably -- but its not as if he doesn't get qulaity back. he could trade dunn probably for a quality pitcher and essentially have gotten jones for close to free.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Easy decision

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:12 pm

bellings wrote:A situation like this should be resolved like any other trade. Just ignore the TUI. Is the trade so unfair that it should be vetoed? If yes, then veto. If no, the let it go through.

thats how i feel about it.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby saguiar50 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:53 pm

i wouldnt let the trade go thru becuz u are now letting one team gain an unfair advantage over the others
saguiar50
College Coach
College Coach

Postby nuggets » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:54 am

Every drunk trade I have made has worked out. The few I have made always scared me initially but the right players always seemed to get injured or slump and I got them back later or my new guys broke out. Maybe it's some subconsious intuition thing but I advise trying it on a whim so day with a secondary team or something :-)

:-L
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:59 am

i like letting the league decide. i mean, the guy is responsible for his actions, even when drunk, but at the same time, you don't want to let him completely screw up the league. if the trade is absurly lopsided, the league will probably reject it so that it won't screw up the "fairness" of the league. but if it's just mildly hurtful to the drunkard, they'll probably let it stand.

at least, that's the way i view it. ;-D
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thehat » Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:00 am

I'm still trying to figure out what's so awful about this deal.

Look, if the trade involved Nick Green, okay, there's a good reason to void the deal. But I just don't see where there's a problem with this trade.

I also think you set a potentially dangerous precedent here. Anytime an owner makes a trade he suddenly gets cold feet over, guess what you're going to hear, Mr. Commissioner. While I'm not an iron-fisted dictator by any means in the leagues where I am commish, there are times you have to make a ruling, and that's just the way it goes. I'm quite convinced that you should have just declared the deal as official and moved on from there.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Matthias » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:45 am

i say you're the commish. if you don't like it, nix it. all this hand-wringing on the next guy who doesn't like his trade is silly. if he proposed it at 3pm, too bad. if he proposes crazy trades to everyone at 3am... well... maybe he was friends with some long necks. but it's better to keep league balance amongst teams and avoid giving any one team a freebie (without getting into whether or not this trade is one of those) than keep some holy, you did it, you live with it, attitude.

putting up to a league vote is also not a bad way to handle it; but i would say you're the commissioner, it's your call. make it.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JTWood » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:08 am

Technically speaking, in contract law, you have the option to nullify a contract if you were drunk at the time you signed the contract.

I know this is FBB, but I would probably use that logic, too.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby nikku88 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:20 am

I say let it go through.
He should really be thankful. A bad trade is insanely low on the list of dumb acts done while drunk.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dimaggio5 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:06 pm

Mmmmm That was a very interesting scenario.

However, I just think it was trader's remorse. A) He said he was Drunk and no one really knows if he actually was. b) Supposidly everyone should be responsible for their actions and if you put forth a proposal or offer you have to be conscientious of the possiblility that it might be accepted. It's one thing in negotiations but another to actually put it through as a firm offer.

I understand the point about contract law but I see this more like securites trading. He entered his trade offer to be either accepted or rejected. Similar to buying/selling stock. Now he didn't cancel his offer in time and the other team accpeted. Trade is done regardless of the mental state of the trader.

To be honest, depending on the type of league and other factors , IMO that really wasn't a bad trade. Klesko and Green are somewhat equal in potential and value so the trade comes down to Schilling and Dunn. This isn't the Schilling from 2001 and Dunn is a player looked upon as being on the verge. Again I just think the team that traded Schilling had sellers remorse and he wants an out option. I say trade stands with being "drunk" no reason to kill a trade. Probably Sellers Remorse.

It's not just the Tradition.....its Aura and Mystique
dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers