A tough commish decision: - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A tough commish decision:

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A tough commish decision:

Postby stoner420 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:28 pm

wow this is one of the hardest things ive had to face....

last night one of the guys in my league was drunk and he signed on and proposed a bunch of trades, not really expecting any one to agree to them.

one of his trades was in fact agreed on though.

then when he woke up in the morn and saw the trade again he regretted it and wanted to take it back because he was drunk and not thinking straight.

as the commish i dont like to veto things... but in this case one of the people involved doesnt want it to go through...

i eventually decided to put it up to a league vote excluding me and both members involved. did i do the right thing? what would u do?
stoner420
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby great gretzky » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:32 pm

NO -- YOU are responsible for your actions. If he is going to treat the league that flippantly, why should you save him from himself?
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby John Bonzo » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:33 pm

You are responsible for what you do when you are drunk because you made the decision to drink and get drunk.

That said, i think that a league vote was a good decision (though i dont see why you couldnt vote in it too).

What exactly was the trade?

I personally would vote that the trade stands.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:34 pm

Putting it up to a league vote seems like a good idea. If it is too lopsided, they'll likely veto - why let a league-mate take advantage?

If not, and they buy the "I was drunk" story - then they can decide to let the guy off. If they don't, then his tough luck. Obviously the other team liked the deal, so why should he be disadvantaged because the other guy changed his mind? Buyer's remorse sucks - but sometimes you have to deal with it.

But, again, I think you made the right call - let the league decide.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby stoner420 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:39 pm

the drunk kid traded klesko and schilling for dunn and s. green...

its a pts league so dunn kinda sucks due to his k's... its a pretty unfair trade, not horrible... but pretty lopsided in my mind
stoner420
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stoner420 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:41 pm

what i ended up doing was have each member of the trade make a post that argued their side of the debate. now each member needs to come on and vote about it...

im not going to vota A because i really am not sure which side id vote on

and b so that there is no possible tie in votes
stoner420
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ensanimal » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:41 pm

this happened in one of my leagues as well. i fgure the trade has to go through. TUI (Trading Under the Influence, thanks to whoever it was ;-) ) is not a valid reason to reject a trade.

if this gets vetoed, what is to stop another owner from making a trade, the next day seeing he doesn't like the trade as much anymore, and then coming back with this same story.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby great gretzky » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:49 pm

the drunk kid got a pretty good deal IMO.

Basically got green and dunn for schilling.

State of mind is not a fair reason to overturn a trade. So if someone was unuslaly angry at the time, do they get another chance?

I never overrule a trade that was offered and accepted, when the player OFFERING did so stupidly. You didn't have to do it.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby matmat » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:52 pm

trade should go through.

"sorry officer, I didn't mean to run over the lady, but I was drunk!"

???? :-t
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bluefire7 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:04 pm

them getting drunk isn't your problem.. who's to say they aren't just making an excuse from buyers remorse like dawgpound said? what happens if they get drunk again and do the same thing? i think you made a good decision in a league vote, and letting everyone else decide their fate. that said, i also believe that you should issue a warning stating that for the future, if they wanna take the fantasy baseball league seriously, then their actions are no longer protected. THERE'S NO CRYING IN (fantasy) BASEBALL!! :~(
bluefire7
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers