How many leagues to be in? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How many leagues to be in?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How many leagues to be in?

Postby swyck » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:53 pm

I'm in two leagues, one h2h and one roto. I'm wondering how many leagues people are usually in? I'm not talking about drafting teams and dropping them, but to actively participate in. Do many people just concentrate on just one? How many leagues do you think is a reasonable number to take part in?

I'm thinking of joining a third league -- I'd like to get into something deep which would be different from the default 5x5 roto or shallow 7x7 h2h leagues I'm in. I also want to take the time to enjoy my teams, instead of just rushing from league to league.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:46 am

I play as many leagues as I can comfortably handle. Some years it's 2 or 3, others it's 5 or 6. Just depends on how much availiable time I have to dedicate to my teams :-) . I would never draft and ignore a team.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby asumikey222 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:31 am

10 for me; I also did 10 last year.

As of today (all 5X5 roto LiveDraft unless noted):

ESPN
#1/10
#1/10
#1/10
#5/10

Yahoo Public
#1/12

Yahoo Private
#1/12
#3/12 (H2H)

Yahoo+
#3/12

Yahoo Winner's
#8/12 (had this draft marked a week later on my calendar so missed it AND didn't set my pre-rankings, putting a lot of work into fixing it tho- e.g. when I traded Looper for Livan in ST, lots of FA pickups, etc. to repair the mess that is a Yahoo Autodraft)

CBS
#10/12 (me getting used to weekly lineups & CBS skinny bench =*cry*)

Unlike some people, I too would NEVER draft-and-run. I think this is just about the most a-holish thing you can do short of intentionally sabotaging a league. There are practice drafts you can do for free that don't result in screwing over all the members of a real league that actually intend on participating. Usually my goal is to have about 25-50% #1 teams, 35% top 3 teams, and no more than one clunker team, and I never quit on my teams EVER throughout the season; I enjoy it a lot, all the leagues (and many of my teams) are quite different; I know my approach is not for everybody but I have a good time with it.
asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Postby davidmarver » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:35 am

I'm in three keeper leagues (2nd year in two of them, first year in one.) Apart from those I have one friendly league with family and neighbors. I'd say three is a fair number...after that, the fun starts to fade since you're rooting for and against every player in the entire league.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby asumikey222 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:41 am

davidmarver wrote:I'm in three keeper leagues (2nd year in two of them, first year in one.) Apart from those I have one friendly league with family and neighbors. I'd say three is a fair number...after that, the fun starts to fade since you're rooting for and against every player in the entire league.

That's not exactly true, but yeah I have certain players I root for more than others (LoDuca, M. Batista, Brian Roberts on 4 teams vs. Randy & Santana on 1). In a way it just outlines my idea about value & team maintenance being very important. I work hard to get good value and also keep my teams up and make good WW acquisitions. Often these will be the same for several teams, making them look similar. Also some mid to late-round sleepers you will have on many teams (e.g. the above-listed names). And then there is of course the matter of some leagues are very important to you while others are more goof-off leagues, so it's not too hard to root accordingly. MLB.tv helps with this too. ;)
asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:17 am

I'm in four this season.

Next year, I think I'll only do two.

Like someone said, you're pulling for and against too many players otherwise. Plus, I like watching a game and knowing exactly what I need from a player to help me. That's hard with more than a couple of teams.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:50 am

I'm in 6 this year, but a couple are just casual with friends that I don't put a whole lot of time into.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:57 am

4, its a bit of work but I'm having fun. I rank my leagues in importance to me which judges who I root for the most.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby prodpaul » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:35 am

In 3 this year. One Points league (keeper), a roto keeper, and a Head to Head Roto Keeper.

That's about all I can handle. :-°

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:26 am

I really only play Yahoo and I like to concentrate on no more than 4. That way, I only use 1 SN. This year, I tried 8 (9 with a Plus league) and it seems to be going smoothly. What I have found works well is that I have 1 SN on IE and 1 on Mozilla so that I don't need to keep signing off. Anything helps when having to tweak that many teams.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Return to Baseball Leftovers