Return to General Talk

ONLY IN CANADA.......

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

ONLY IN CANADA.......

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:19 pm

Hey, sailors ... Boating hotline leads to phone sex
Last Updated Thu, 14 Apr 2005 09:46:25 EDT
CBC News
SAINT JOHN, N.B. - A federal government toll-free phone line to encourage safe boating is directing callers in New Brunswick to a phone-sex offer instead.

Officials at Transport Canada are scrambling to shut down the connection after receiving a number of calls from upset boaters in the past few days.

When they call the number for Transport Canada's Office of Boating Safety listed in the Saint John phone book, boaters get an explicit 45-second greeting inviting them to use their credit cards to try phone sex.

"We understand it's due to some type of unfortunate error, but exactly what it is, I can't say," said Transport Canada spokesperson Steve Bone.

A year ago, Transport Canada took over the Office of Boating Safety from the coast guard. Bone speculates that the error may have originated then.

Isabelle Robinson from Aliant, Atlantic Canada's phone company, said toll-free numbers are recycled when their operators no longer need them.

"They get placed in a database and that number is available for reuse, typically in about four months," she said.

The number was recently assigned to a U.S. service provider, Robinson said.

Bone said Transport Canada is working with Aliant to see if they can block the number when callers from Canada dial it.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:30 pm

What NBA team had this same problem with its tickets? I can't remember. Bobcats maybe?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:49 pm

:-b
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby KPucks » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:28 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:What NBA team had this same problem with its tickets? I can't remember. Bobcats maybe?

Yeah, it was the Bobcats at the beginning of the season. So it's not only in Canada :-D
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:21 pm

I can't believe anyone complained about it. I would have kept my mouth shut....of course I would then probably put my lifejacket on backwards when my boat sinks I would probably end up face down in the water. But hey, free phone sex :-D
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:49 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I can't believe anyone complained about it. I would have kept my mouth shut....of course I would then probably put my lifejacket on backwards when my boat sinks I would probably end up face down in the water. But hey, free phone sex :-D

Who said anything about free??

boaters get an explicit 45-second greeting inviting them to use their credit cards to try phone sex.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ensanimal » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:50 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:I can't believe anyone complained about it. I would have kept my mouth shut....of course I would then probably put my lifejacket on backwards when my boat sinks I would probably end up face down in the water. But hey, free phone sex :-D

boaters get an explicit 45-second greeting inviting them to use their credit cards to try phone sex.

45 seconds is plenty of time to....uhhhh never mind ;-7 :-b
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 108)

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:56 pm

ensanimal wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

Think about baseball, man. :-°
Lofunzo

Postby DieHardCubbie » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:15 pm

ensanimal wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

Find my walent to get my cradity cards out... :-B
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:16 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:
ensanimal wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

Find my walent to get my cradity cards out... :-B

Happy hour runs late in NC?? :-D
Lofunzo

Next

Return to General Talk