Sanchez is off the juice, is Gathright going back to AAA? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sanchez is off the juice, is Gathright going back to AAA?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:22 pm

hybrid wrote:Hate to say it, but as much as I hoped it wouldn't .... it was pretty obvious this was going to happen.

How frustrating. I was really hoping they'd keep him up. Damn.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mustangs989 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:34 pm

I just heard on ESPN News that Sanchez will be batting 3rd tonight 8-o :-? . I really have no idea what TB is thinking, I can't think of any reasonable explanation for this move :-P
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby hybrid » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:45 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
hybrid wrote:Hate to say it, but as much as I hoped it wouldn't .... it was pretty obvious this was going to happen.

hybrid - honestly now - whats the scoop here? I mean - arent fans outraged they sent Gath back down for one of the absolute worst CFers in all of baseball. I mean really, Alex Sanchez is bad - especially defensively. What can the manager possibly use as an excuse?

I have no stake in this whatsoever - Im not a Gath or Snachez owner, and I could care less about the DRays - but at the same time, this is one of the more perplexing situations in baseball right now. Where does Pinella stand - is his job in jeopardy or do fans and management see him as a positive?

Well first you have to realize that a lot of Rays fans, aren't that big on knowing a lot about actual players that aren't superstars (a lot are old or just go to see a baseball game). Unless your going to talk to the few real knowledgable Rays fans, I doubt they know the difference between the two players.

For some reason they don't want to go and just cut Sanchez, who knows why. Gathright really has no place on the Rays in the future and I think he will eventually just be traded. Though that is one reason why you should leave Gathright up, to show him off to other ball clubs in hope of landing a good trade. A lot of Rays moves don't make much sense, in time you somewhat get used to it ... though it always is somewhat upsetting.

On Lou, well I doubt his job is in jeopardy, I mean who could they get to replace him that has the same name recognition? Nobody. The fans that know something, think Lou may be more hendering the process of this team more then doing any good for it. But management seems fine with the team waiting, and waiting, and prolonging some of the impacts the youth could bring.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby MashinSpuds » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:05 pm

Mustangs989 wrote:I just heard on ESPN News that Sanchez will be batting 3rd tonight 8-o :-? . I really have no idea what TB is thinking, I can't think of any reasonable explanation for this move :-P

It's called the Brian Roberts effect. 2005 is the year of the power-hitting speedster out of nowhere. Sanchez is good for 40 HRs... at least that's apparently what TB is thinking.

I can't believe they demoted Gathright yet again. The guy is bound to have a better steal/OBP rate than Sanchez... well, they're probably going to give Sanchez a shot and if he stinks, give him the boot for Gathright. Maaaybe.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 149)

Postby Iconoclastic » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:08 pm

It seems like Lou Piniella/Lloyd McLendon/Dusty Baker/ have been smoking out of the same pipe that Larry Bowa has been smoking from.
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bleach168 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:23 pm

It's true! Alex Sanchez is batting 3rd. Too late, but I wish I could pick on Ponson for a spot start against TB!
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 50)

Postby TonyCee » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:51 pm

I am still baffled by him batting 3td tonight, wow. The guy has been cut by 2 other teams so it's obvious he has some sort of problem or else the teams just wouldn't cut him str8 up.
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:30 pm

Not only do they keep Sanchez over Gathright they bat him 3rd. Alex Sanchez is batting 3rd. Unreal.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby hybrid » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:39 pm

Zimmer said the reason why Gathright was sent down was defense, which is almost laughable considering who is replacing him.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:42 pm

That is pretty laughable. Zim covering for Clueless Lou? So why not bat Toby Hall cleanup too?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers