Major league baseball should contract... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Major league baseball should contract...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby afromangettindrunk » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:02 pm

a few people here have made some valid points. the real problem lies within the players union. do you guys realize that MLBPA is probably THE strongest (at least one of the strongest) unions in the country?!

im not going to try and rationalize payrolls and fire cheap shots at yankee fans or small-market fans. there is no denying the truth, but why shouldnt any team do whatever they can, within the rules, to win?

and to those comparing football ratings with baseball ratings...get a grip. this is apples and oranges here. football plays ONE game a week, baseball teams play 6-7 games a week....obviously there is going to be a ratings difference. 16 game season vs 162 game season. i do agree that mlb is drastically unbalanced but there is nothing that i (or any of you) can really do about it. until mlbpa stops controlling the league we are stuck with yankees, red sox, mets, cubs, dodgers outspending the league to get FA's and win championships. i would love more competition in the league even being a sox fan....having a division race with the jays or dbacks would be sweet. (i AM in favor of more balance in the league but the problem lies in how to go about it)
afromangettindrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:23 pm

Pacman wrote:the Sox and Yanks have as strong a rivalry as there currently is in baseball (maybe in all of North American sports?).

I have to disagree. I've been to a Yanks/Sox game in Fenway and it wasn't close to the electricity of a Red Wings/Avs game (been to one), Lakers/Kings in Arco (been to several playoff games), the apparent electricity of Duke/North Carolina (never been), or Florida/Florida St. (never been). I'm sure I'm forgetting many other, more intense rivalries...fans at the Charger/Raider games are utterly brutal. That's not to say that those are for sure better rivalries, but I sure felt it when I was there.

While I agree there may be more history between the Yankees and Red Sox than any other rivalry, it has really become a Hollywood-type rivalry. The Yankees and Red Sox, probably more than any two major league teams, make moves and bring in new players. How can a rivalry really stay a rivalry when the players are changing as often as they are? David Wells is a Red Sox now for crying out loud. When was the last time a Duke basketball player transfered to North Carolina? There are some things that shouldn't change. Pedro Martinez once said he'd rather play with the Expos for a dime than the Yankees for $100 million yet this offseason he was in heavy contract discussions with the Yankees. Idk about you, but a rivalry is supposed to leave some sort of lasting impression and I just don't see that as much as I do the other rivalries.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:56 pm

Comparing Hockey to Baseball is like comparing a fry cook at Burger King to an Iron Chef.

Actually, since Hockey comitted suicide, even that comparison would be false.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby davidmarver » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:58 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Comparing Hockey to Baseball is like comparing a fry cook at Burger King to an Iron Chef.

Actually, since Hockey comitted suicide, even that comparison would be false.

He had said the greatest rivalry in North American sports. Hockey is a North American sport, so it certainly is relevent.

Now go to the penalty box :-D
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:20 pm

davidmarver wrote:
Pacman wrote:the Sox and Yanks have as strong a rivalry as there currently is in baseball (maybe in all of North American sports?).

I have to disagree. I've been to a Yanks/Sox game in Fenway and it wasn't close to the electricity of a Red Wings/Avs game (been to one), Lakers/Kings in Arco (been to several playoff games), the apparent electricity of Duke/North Carolina (never been), or Florida/Florida St. (never been). I'm sure I'm forgetting many other, more intense rivalries...fans at the Charger/Raider games are utterly brutal. That's not to say that those are for sure better rivalries, but I sure felt it when I was there.

While I agree there may be more history between the Yankees and Red Sox than any other rivalry, it has really become a Hollywood-type rivalry. The Yankees and Red Sox, probably more than any two major league teams, make moves and bring in new players. How can a rivalry really stay a rivalry when the players are changing as often as they are? David Wells is a Red Sox now for crying out loud. When was the last time a Duke basketball player transfered to North Carolina? There are some things that shouldn't change. Pedro Martinez once said he'd rather play with the Expos for a dime than the Yankees for $100 million yet this offseason he was in heavy contract discussions with the Yankees. Idk about you, but a rivalry is supposed to leave some sort of lasting impression and I just don't see that as much as I do the other rivalries.

There are different reasons for different rivalries but there are a few things to point out. The Avs/Wings isn't a true rivalry to me because they aren't in the same division. Their regular season games are also just slightly more exciting from an energy standpoint than a regular game. It heated up for a while because they were both good and because of Claude Lemieux's cheapshot. All of the other ones might also seem more because they get a ton of attention due to the fact that they only play 1 or 2 times a year rather than almost 20 in baseball. None of those other rivalries have the history that the Yanks/Sox have.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers