Major league baseball should contract... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Major league baseball should contract...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Major league baseball should contract...

Postby tms298 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:52 am

every team except for the yankees and red sox. Then every good player would definitely be on one of those two teams. Additionally, they could play every single night and fans would have no reason to hope that any other mlb teams were being shown on espn on a given evening.
tms298
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:55 am

Are you saying that there are currently other teams besides the Yankees and Red Sox? That's heresy.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Cooner » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:02 am

they could just make another league, and it would all be better. Say, make the current MLB into the Major Minor League and put the Sox and Yanks in the Premier Major League. Then the Sox could have all of the current National League, and the Yanks all of the American League to call from.

That way all those little teams who don't mean anything could still play, and everyone who really cares about baseball could still get what they want- all Yanks Sox all the time.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pacman » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:15 am

Just a tiny bit of perspective from a Sox fan...

I agree 100% with your feelings. But please PLEASE... blame MLB, Fox and ESPN... don't blame the Sox or Yankees. The Sox did what they did last year, the Sox and Yanks have as strong a rivalry as there currently is in baseball (maybe in all of North American sports?). But the fact that every time they play each other (19 times in regular season) it's overhyped and thrown into prime time - is NOT THE TEAMS' FAULT. Blame it on the league's and the networks' greed and desire to get ratings and make merchandising and advertising revenue off the two teams' rivalry. If Torre or Francona had their say, every Sox/Yanks game would be a 1PM start with local TV only.

Like Francona said on the radio yesterday, it'll be nice to play Tampa Bay, so we can finally start April... up till now, it's just been a continuation of last October.

I truly am sorry that fans across the country are still having Sox Yanks forced down their throats. It's wrong. But major league baseball and the networks are very greedy.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BritSox » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:45 am

Just hold your horses, after today there's a month without Yanks-Sox, and only four more series all season. Just be glad you can watch baseball every day anyway B-)
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:52 am

Pacman wrote:Just a tiny bit of perspective from a Sox fan...

I agree 100% with your feelings. But please PLEASE... blame MLB, Fox and ESPN... don't blame the Sox or Yankees. The Sox did what they did last year, the Sox and Yanks have as strong a rivalry as there currently is in baseball (maybe in all of North American sports?). But the fact that every time they play each other (19 times in regular season) it's overhyped and thrown into prime time - is NOT THE TEAMS' FAULT. Blame it on the league's and the networks' greed and desire to get ratings and make merchandising and advertising revenue off the two teams' rivalry. If Torre or Francona had their say, every Sox/Yanks game would be a 1PM start with local TV only.

Like Francona said on the radio yesterday, it'll be nice to play Tampa Bay, so we can finally start April... up till now, it's just been a continuation of last October.

I truly am sorry that fans across the country are still having Sox Yanks forced down their throats. It's wrong. But major league baseball and the networks are very greedy.

Well said Pacman (never thought that I would say that to a Red Sox fan).

The good thing about starting the year out this way is that it gets everyone hyped about the new season and stokes everyone's dislike of the two big market teams.

But I must admit that the teams themselves are not to blame for the overexposure, these teams are only to blame for ruining the game and standing in the way of a sane economic model for the game, that's all :-D
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby BritSox » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:11 pm

Right, i keep hearing this. Explain how it's the fault of the Sox? The Sox are no richer than the Mets, Dodgers, Cubs or Angels if these are run well. Hell, even a hot ChiSox team could probably raise £100 million for payroll.

The Red Sox just happen to be hot at the moment, and are forced into an arms race with the megabucks Yankees. If anything, the Red Sox are one of the teams most disadvantaged by the current system.

Even if there were 'sane' revenue-sharing, it would be a bad idea to make baseball a sport where all teams have an equal chance of winning, as that would reduce the character and interest in the game. The 'average' fan would see less success, as the large and medium market teams have more fans. Don't get me wrong, more revenue-sharing is definitely a good idea, but we should never get to gthe stage where more fans confers NO advantage. The only people who'd benefit from this are the comparatively few fans of very small-market teams.

One of the things that I love about baseball is that big-market teams like the Yanks are there or thereabouts every year, but that a well-run smaller franchise like the Twins or A's can compete by nurturing their farms, trading well and targetting certain years.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:09 pm

BritSox wrote:Right, i keep hearing this. Explain how it's the fault of the Sox? The Sox are no richer than the Mets, Dodgers, Cubs or Angels if these are run well. Hell, even a hot ChiSox team could probably raise £100 million for payroll.

The Red Sox just happen to be hot at the moment, and are forced into an arms race with the megabucks Yankees. If anything, the Red Sox are one of the teams most disadvantaged by the current system.

Even if there were 'sane' revenue-sharing, it would be a bad idea to make baseball a sport where all teams have an equal chance of winning, as that would reduce the character and interest in the game. The 'average' fan would see less success, as the large and medium market teams have more fans. Don't get me wrong, more revenue-sharing is definitely a good idea, but we should never get to gthe stage where more fans confers NO advantage. The only people who'd benefit from this are the comparatively few fans of very small-market teams.

One of the things that I love about baseball is that big-market teams like the Yanks are there or thereabouts every year, but that a well-run smaller franchise like the Twins or A's can compete by nurturing their farms, trading well and targetting certain years.

I guess that you missed all of the pre-season $ox/Yanks threads. (btw- 24 posts/day - are you chasing Madison? ;-) ) We've sort of chilled on these discussions because there were so many of them and they got kind of heated. But anyways.....

The fact that the Sox are no richer than the Dodgers, Cubs and Braves (and they probably are quite richer than those teams - they are the second most valuable team, well behind the Yanks but only the Mets close for second place check it out) only demonstrates their lack of fiscal responsibility. To operate at an $11.3 million deficit is just irresponsible. Their stupid bidding wars on players is just jacking up the costs for everybody and creating a further unbalanced playing field. Blame the Yankees as much as you want (and I blame them as well) but at least they turned a $10 M profit last year.

The $ox spent the most ever on a world series. Never had so much been spend on a WS winning team. The $ox had no full time players on their team whom they drafted or developped themselves (Youklis not a full timer and Nixon mostly injured).

How are the Sox forced into an arms race with the Yanks? The Yanks will outspend the Sox no matter what the Sox do. If the Sox truely felt that the Yanks were destroying the game (as their owner stupidly stated last year) then they would not get into an arms race with them. Let the Yanks take whatever players they want (they will anyways) show some fiscal responsibility, try to turn a profit and when it comes time to reform the game support a salary cap with revenue sharing. The Sox will not do that however because they make the second most of any team, they do not want to share and they have not been able to develop their own players so rely on buying players.

I disagree with your view that big market teams should have an advantage. The most successful sports league is the NFL. They have a hard salary cap and pretty good parity. The smallest market teams have some of the largest followings. The community-owned Green Bay Packers for instance. NY teams have sucked for a long time in the NFL yet they league is raking in the dough and the league has the most fan support.

I understand Steinbrenner digging his heels in, resisting change and spending money hand over fist - he's running a profitable business. The Sox on the other hand are joining in the insanity, resisting change yet are losing money. Stupid and bad for the game.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby Strasil42 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:17 pm

BritSox wrote:Right, i keep hearing this. Explain how it's the fault of the Sox? The Sox are no richer than the Mets, Dodgers, Cubs or Angels if these are run well. Hell, even a hot ChiSox team could probably raise £100 million for payroll.

one of the funniest things in the world is when red sox fan start complaining about payroll size. Cracks me up every time.

"The $ox spent the most ever on a world series. Never had so much been spend on a WS winning team."

;-D ;-D ;-D
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby perlick29 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:52 pm

slomo007 wrote:Are you saying that there are currently other teams besides the Yankees and Red Sox? That's heresy.

LMAO. Hes's done it again. So funny.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers