YAHOO positional stats - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

YAHOO positional stats

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

YAHOO positional stats

Postby AZ_TRIBEFAN » Tue May 13, 2003 12:02 pm

I could use some advice from the fantasy veterans -

What's the best way to maximize the use of individual positions? For those familiar, the Yahoo league i am in has been setup to allow a max of 162 games for each position. Am i being optimistic that i can come close to this ?

e.g. My catcher, Mike L, is already behind about 7 games.

I keep rotating people around to try to keep them playing, but is there a way to determine with certainity what players are expected to play before each game? (not just probable starting pitchers, which is easy to find)

Any suggestions?
AZ_TRIBEFAN

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jdh » Tue May 13, 2003 1:05 pm

No, there really isn't any way to know more than about 30 minutes before each game. The Yahoo stat tracker if you buy it will show you the lineups, and so will their baseball scoreboard, but that only updates 30 minutes, maybe an hour before each game. That is usually because a manager doesn't finally decide what lineup he is going to use until that late before gametime, due to last minute scratches, injuries, etc., so there isn't much you can do. You could sit on the StatTracker and check out the lineup and if you see that a player isn't playing, sub in another player off your bench, but that will only work if both players are playing a game at the same time, which doesn't often happen with west coast games, etc.

Also, in general, catchers play only about 120 games a year max and get every 4th or 5th game off, simply because the position is so demanding and wears down on the body. One way to almost certainly guess when a catcher won't be playing is that most managers won't play a catcher in a day game after a night game (most often Sat night, Sun day). Otherwise, there's not much you can do about using up all your games, especially at the catcher position.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers