AL CY Young - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AL CY Young

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:56 am

The_Met_Threat wrote:id agree with mweir145, halladay is ahead of buherle, but in my opinion far ahead, i see a really major stat as ground ball to fly out ratio. i look at this lot as it shows a pitchers ability to get out an inning.

halladay=2.61
buherle= 1.32

nuff said

Not exactly sure what you are saying?

So by g/f ratio, BWebb 4.32 blows everyone way.
Clemens 1.66
Willis 1.65
Pedro .092

Should Webb be considered now in NL? G/f ratio has no relevance in CY. Roy has allowed more X base hits (28 to 24), which is odd, given groundball pitchers are less prone to hrs and X base hits.

Roy has the edge, but i fail to see a huge gap like some are claiming.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby baseballnewb » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:59 am

Buerhle was the luckiest pitcher in baseball when it comes to batting average on balls in play 2 weeks ago, I'd expect it to his ERA to slide towards around 3.50 which is where it should be. He has no real chance at the Cy Young unless he gets a lot of luck from here on out, he's an incredibly solid and consistant pitcher but he simply is not as good as the other top pitchers in the AL.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:00 am

baseballnewb wrote:This just shows why ERA is a horrible way to judge a pitcher, there are way too many factors that go into it that have nothing to do with how a pitcher pitched. Halladay all the way for AL cy young right now, though I'm willing to bet Santana or RJ end up with it, its almost always the pitcher who has an electric second half and not the guy who had a great first half.

Era has flaws. What do you want to use? Here are their DIPS era.

Halladay 3.06
Buehrle 3.10
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:04 am

kingctb27 wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:
blankman wrote:
revenge_of_the_cards wrote:johan santanta is up there too. if he kept his era down, hed be the guy

Yeah, if he kept his ERA down over an entire point. ;-7 He's no where near Halladay or Buehrle at this point.

His ERA is so high because of poor umping. Have you seen his peripheal numbers? K/9, WHIP, K/BB, BAA? Absolutely sick. His ERA is way above what it should be. Don't be surprised when he comes back and gives Halladay or Buerhle a run for their money. Also for Buehrle doubters, he has a career ERA under 3 on the road, but the Cell really hurts him. This year I believe its the opposite though.

Blank y do you continue to bash Johan? Did you take your boy RJ before him this year or what? I'm with Cubs fan on this one as well. He's simply not getting the Strike zone that the likes of Halladay and Pedro are getting. Come the end of September you can bet your bottom dollar that he'll be in the race for this thing.

I'm not actually sure what you are talking about.
Halladay hasn't been getting the benefit of any helpful strike zones in any of the starts i have seen him (and thats just about all of them).

I mean just yesterday while i was watching Halladay take apart the Bo-Sox lineup, he was getting squeezed for just about every pitch.

Maybe Johan Santana isn't getting much of a strike zone, but that is really just a bad excuse for his lackluster performance this year.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby nuggets » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:11 am

VORP

Halladay: 48.7

Buehrle 41.4
nuggets
General Manager