Pitching - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Pitching

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pitching

Postby Blind Squirrels » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:05 am

I know it's still early, but I'm getting a little worried about what I perceived to be an area where we could show real improvement. The bullpen has not been as strong as I had hoped. Farnsworth being the exception. Ugi let some close games go last year and so far this year is no exception. I had some doubts about Johnson coming in - hot and cold type guy - and I view him as the weakest link. I thought that Maroth would look better than he has so far, but hopefully he can right himself. The loss of one run games was an area we had to improve in to make any noise this year. The Twins game Tuesday has me down. :-P
"There's something happening, and you don't know what it is. Do you, Mr. Jones?"
Bob Dylan
Blind Squirrels Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:55 pm

I agree - its been a rough start. Im really frusterated with the bullpen and Uggey especially. Our SPs run hot and cold - but we expected that. I honestly thought the pen would be a strength for this team, but you just cannot succeed with performances that Uggey and Percival have had. Maybe its time to bump Uggey from the 8th and try German there.

The part thats most frusterating to me is knowing that this season hinges on whether or not the Tigers get off to a good start. With so many division games early they need to turn it around immediately to have any chance.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby cmchampa2 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:22 pm

What an awful start. Hitters not advancing runners and striking out way too much. Pitchers walking too many guys and at bad times.

I hope this bullpen doesn't turn into what Tram has had to deal with for two years already... a flip-a-coin group of bad options. At least the guys they brought in have a track record and one can reasonably expect them to get better. And the starters! Blech. They're young, but young guys are supposed to show promise, not suck. Is Bob Cluck just not getting these guys ready to pitch? Every last guy, save for Ledezma and German (and maybe Walker), has looked a little weak.

On the bright side, Monroe has looked great in center so far, and that catch he made tonight was awesome.
I'm not just the president of the Cornbread Maxwell Fan Club, I'm also the only member.
cmchampa2
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby prodpaul » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:42 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I agree - its been a rough start. Im really frusterated with the bullpen and Uggey especially. Our SPs run hot and cold - but we expected that. I honestly thought the pen would be a strength for this team, but you just cannot succeed with performances that Uggey and Percival have had. Maybe its time to bump Uggey from the 8th and try German there.

The part thats most frusterating to me is knowing that this season hinges on whether or not the Tigers get off to a good start. With so many division games early they need to turn it around immediately to have any chance.

Well good luck with it! :-D

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:26 am

It's awful early to condem the whole staff. Bonderman recovered nicely after getting lit up, and you can't toss out his first game. He'll be alright, but some of his starts will be tough. Robertson looked lost last night, and you have to wonder if his good starts were the exception to last night's rule. Johnson is the most disappointing starter. He is suposed to be the veteran anchor who if not pitching well, doesn't throw a total stinker out there like Wenesday.

In the pen I am disappionted in Percival. He hasn't looked good, but it's early. With Farnsworth and Urbina I am not surprised. They are doing what they do. Farnsy will look like a total stud for games then stink. That's his history. Urbina has looked just like he did last year: like a pitcher with poor control, an average fastball that has no movement. In other words a recipe for disaster.

Percival should get much better and the starters will be better. I think that they were all looking at the Twins series as a chance to make a statement and they all choked on the pressure.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Blind Squirrels » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:43 pm

The worst part about it is that if Ugi even performed like a mid-level talent, people would be knocking our door down come trade deadline to get him. Everytime he takes the mound his stock seems to drop.
"There's something happening, and you don't know what it is. Do you, Mr. Jones?"
Bob Dylan
Blind Squirrels Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Detroit Tigers