Anyone else giving up on Preston Wilson? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone else giving up on Preston Wilson?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mcmahojl » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:53 pm

I would never, and never have, draft Preston Wilson. He is just not that good.
"I live for this game. If baseballs went well with eggs, Id eat them for breakfast..."
mcmahojl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby xeifrank » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:04 pm

I would only give up on him in road games. Any Colorado Rockie starter is worth rostering, especially in a 20 team league. Just start him in home games. No reason to drop him.

vr

Xei
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby slomo007 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:04 pm

xeifrank wrote:I would only give up on him in road games. Any Colorado Rockie starter is worth rostering, especially in a 20 team league. Just start him in home games. No reason to drop him.

vr

Xei

Haha, you made the same mistake I did. It's not a 20 team league, they're 20 man rosters. It got me too.

I still think he's worth holding on to as well...but dropping him isn't completely out of the realm of possibility.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby The Jury » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:09 pm

mcmahojl wrote:
BuckeyeSal wrote:Hold on to him. He had 140 RBI's two years ago. He was hurt last year. He's worth a spot on your bench at the very least. I still believe that he'll break the 100RBI barrier and as everyone knows no one that has over 500 AB's for Colorado in a year has hit under .270 so he's not going hurt you that bad in other areas.

I disagree. Preston Wilson, especially a year coming off of an injury, will not hit .270, and even if he does, you are looking down the barrell of a lot of 0 for 4's. On top of that, he had 140 RBI's once, and that was when Colorado had guys on their team that knew how to get on first base.

.260 average + one guy in your lineup that is a true hitter = wasted spot on your fantasy roster.

I can't find the statistics right now, but the same Rockies "table setters" do get on a base at a reasonable percentage, minorly evidenced by Vinny's ~131 RBI last year.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mcmahojl » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:27 pm

xeifrank wrote:I would only give up on him in road games. Any Colorado Rockie starter is worth rostering, especially in a 20 team league. Just start him in home games. No reason to drop him.

vr

Xei

good point. keep him on the bench for away games.

frank, your kid is adorable.
"I live for this game. If baseballs went well with eggs, Id eat them for breakfast..."
mcmahojl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:29 pm

mcmahojl wrote:Oh, and how many times has Wilson drove in over 100? Check the lineup the two years he did that and compare them to this years Rockies.

2003 rockies lineup

2B Ron Belliard .277 8 50
SS Juan Uribe .253 10 33
1B Todd Helton .358 33 117

i have no idea how preston had 140 rbi hitting behind those guys. miles & barmes (and atkins when he gets back) cant be any worse than belliard and uribe (who are decent players now but werent so good in 2003). if preston is healthy he should have very good numbers in home games and mediocre on the road. just sit him down when he is on the road. plus i think he is related to mookie wilson. thats got to be worth something. ;-)
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby NZF » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:25 pm

slomo007 wrote:

vr

Xei

Haha, you made the same mistake I did. It's not a 20 team league, they're 20 man rosters. It got me too.

I still think he's worth holding on to as well...but dropping him isn't completely out of the realm of possibility.

If he's already got Gathright, Swisher and Quinlan and is worrying about dropping any of them, then I'm pretty sure 20 man team means 20 team league ;-)
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby quicksilver8 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:28 pm

I don't think he'll ever produce like he once did, but he is better than Quinlan to stash on your bench or play when at Coors.
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby great gretzky » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:48 pm

someone out to point this out, so I guess I will.

WHO CARES if your move will be laughed at? I would not let those types of thoughts enter your mind. you make your moves, and if you feel it betters you AFTER due consideration, do it. When he struggles and you had the foresight to cut him, you look knwoledgeable anyway.

If you think it is right, do it, and don't look back.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BuckeyeSal » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:54 pm

I said the getting laughed at in passing. It's not a way to judge whether you drop someone or not but we're all here getting opinions from other players so it does go to your decision making a little. If you don't need anyone elses opinion on projected production then why be on this site?
BuckeyeSal
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers