Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby t2green2 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:16 pm

Dunn Dunn
t2green2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Q » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:19 pm

I'm starting to get scared about Rowand. He was a career underachiever in the minor leagues and then tears it up when he is brought up to the majors. Im not saying that last year was a fluke but this year doesnt suggest that he will improve on last year. He looks overwhelmed and even though its early Im not sure Im expecting the .300 - 25 - 20 that I thought I would get at the beginning of the year. Nevertheless, given the right price, I would try to buy low.

Dunn is a lot better than Rowand.
Q
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:24 pm

Is this a Rowand support group? Im willing to bet all of you overpaid for him.

30/30? Good luck with that. :-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mustangs989 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:29 pm

RawTalent wrote:Rowand is a very good hitter, and will blossom this year. He's a patient hitter, with good power to all fields. He's just off to a slow start. I'd at least have a bench spot for a guy with real 30/30 potential.

I completely disagree. His K: BB is about 3:1, that's not very good, far from being a patient hitter. He's a career .281 hitter in the ML, that's right around where I expect his average to be this year. Last year seems like a career year to me, even though he is 26 I don't expect his average to get up to .300 again. With that said he's still worth a roster spot unless there are less than 10 teams in the league.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby RawTalent » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:20 pm

Mustangs989 wrote:Last year seems like a career year to me, even though he is 26 I don't expect his average to get up to .300 again. With that said he's still worth a roster spot unless there are less than 10 teams in the league.

I mispoke when I said he was a "patient" hitter; I meant to say that he has a patient [/i]swing (check the context of my sentence); he doesn't try to pull it like many free swingers do . He does like to swing at a lot of pitches, but that's something any stat head can figure out for himself. I'm talking about the talent that I see when he plays the game. He's a good hitter.

Last year was the first year Rowand wasn't a part-time player. So it's either a little fast to call his first full year in the majors his career year, or just simply obvious (Yes, it was his career year up to that point, since it was basically his FIRST year). That's the problem with stat people who just make decisions on players without seeing them play.
RawTalent
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SoxWillNeverWinAgain » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:54 pm

our guy's 5-10 so far this week.. looks like he's seeing the ball well

=)
SoxWillNeverWinAgain
College Coach
College Coach

Previous