CHEAP FLIGHTS - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

CHEAP FLIGHTS

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

CHEAP FLIGHTS

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:36 am

As always, I will be going to Cancun in July (2nd-9th) and the prices of the flights have puzzled me. On Continental's site, they are now at $850 or so. :-P Other sites have them listed for $650 or so. Anyone know of some good sites to check out for decent prices on flights?? :-)

If it matters, I'll be leaving from Newark, N.J.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: CHEAP FLIGHTS

Postby acsguitar » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:11 am

Lofunzo wrote:As always, I will be going to Cancun in July (2nd-9th) and the prices of the flights have puzzled me. On Continental's site, they are now at $850 or so. :-P Other sites have them listed for $650 or so. Anyone know of some good sites to check out for decent prices on flights?? :-)

If it matters, I'll be leaving from Newark, N.J.

aiming for that 3rd std are ya?

Travelocity.com
orbitz.com
priceline.com

I think Travelocity is the best
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:29 am

I have heard bad things about Priceline. Any of those let you see when you are leaving before you buy??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:01 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I have heard bad things about Priceline. Any of those let you see when you are leaving before you buy??

Priceline is dumb...I don't fly much (or at all), but I know people that do and they hate it.

Yahoo's flights thing is pretty good. Give that a try. ;-D
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JRM4833 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:56 pm

Southwest and Jet Blue are pretty cheap and aren't on sites like Travelocity and Orbitz. Those are good sites though along with Expedia, CheapTickets, etc.. I also use TripAdvisor although that's more for planning a vacation. But it's got links all over that check all the main travel sites. Priceline makes me nervous but I've heard of people getting very good deals. Personally I've used Southwest more than any other but will give Jet Blue a try if they don't go bankrupt. Very informal and kind of first come first served for seating. Also they don't usually give you a meal but I don't need the perks really.

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby ironman » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:33 pm

I use Priceline all the time for hotels but would be wary of using them for flights.

I've used Expedia for flights and have had no problems. Orbitz sucks I've heard. Never used Travelocity.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby Iguana » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:44 pm

Big fan of Southwest and Independence myself, but I don't think they do international flights. Although Southwest might go to Cancun.
Iguana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:36 pm

Thanks, guys. Places like Priceline are no good because I need to know when I am leaving for Cancun. We have a timeshare and are having a bunch of people come down this year and I want to make sure that I have the place all set up for them. Nothing like taking off at 6 P.M. and missing a day of sun and almost a night of drinking.
Lofunzo

Re: CHEAP FLIGHTS

Postby blankman » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:24 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I'll be leaving from Newark, N.J.

Such a nice city ;-7

Thats where I take the train from and if I ever fly it's there as well.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Chopper » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:56 pm

Good luck!

I've booked over a dozen flights online in the last year and a half. I routinely check Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia, Yahoo (since Yahoo has been using Travelocity, I don't bother checking both) and the four airlines with which I have frequent flier accounts. I also used to check 2 different travel agents for each trip. There is no site that consistently offers the best fares or service. I have bought tickets from Priceline, Yahoo, Expedia and Travelocity. The airline sites have been consistently worst unless I'm booking award travel.

Booking air travel is a nasty game that I am far from mastering. Reserving for an international trip last year, I watched the price come down every week (though it was up some days, down some) for over a month until three weeks before my travel dates. Prices started at over $1200 and went as low as about $750 before climbing back to $870 the next day before I jumped on. For the last three weeks, I checked just out of habit and the price continued to rise to over $1300.

You can check four different sites five times each today and easily get 20 different prices. If you care a lot about price, you need a lot of time, patience and a fast internet connection. For service, Yahoo and Expedia are probably the easiest to use, allow you the most options and are good about informing you of flight changes.
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
Chopper
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to General Talk