Preston Wilson, Torii Hunter, and Alfonso Soriano??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Preston Wilson, Torii Hunter, and Alfonso Soriano???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Preston Wilson, Torii Hunter, and Alfonso Soriano???

Postby GM Delicious » Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:13 pm

How high are Preston Wilson, Torii Hunter, and Alfonso Soriano going in the mock drafts? I was thinking that Wilson and Hunter could be 5th to 7th round steals. I also believe that Soriano is worthy of a draft's #1 overall pick. He's not as good as A-Rod, but the shortstop position is possibly the deepest in baseball, and you could still get a good shortstop in the middle rounds. There's only a couple of good second basemen. Also, I believe that Preston Wilson will be a MVP-type 5-category stud in Denver, and Torii Hunter could still slip into the middle rounds because he plays in Minnesota.
GM Delicious
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby YankFan51 » Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:44 pm

Hey there. I got Soriano 8th, Hunter 67th, and Wilson 138th. That's my projections, but I'm sure the actual draft will go different.
YankFan51
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

draft

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:48 pm

Sorianos a top 5 pick, but hes in no way a 1. You are talking about a ss with a proven track record of 3 straight 1.000+ ops, plus others earlier in career, to a guy who has yet to get a .900 ops. There is no risk in Arod. There is a tad bit of risk in Soriano hitting a 1.000 ops. SS, isnt that much deeper then 2b. As far as round steals, you talking 8/10/12/16 team leagues? Preston should fair ok in Col, but i dont see anything close to a mvp type year. My only concern for Tori was his 2nd half falloff. He went from a .912 ops to .781.
HOOTIE

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby YankFan51 » Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:50 pm

As a Yankee fan, I could see Soriano having a little setback this year. He ate up first pitch fastballs. This season, pitchers should know his strengths better. I wouldn't go as high as 5 on him, but I'd grab him in the later part of the 1st round.
YankFan51
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Decack » Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:24 pm

First off I would say that drafting a player who has only performed for one year with your first pick would be ludicrous. On top of that, In my opinion the 2B position has more depth and there are only 4 stud SS's. A-Rod is mandatory at the #1 because he's done it for several years and the scarcity of SS's. Consider the drop offs from the 1st tier of shortstops and second basemen. If you don't get Jeter or Nomar (3 & 4) your left with Aurilia, Renteria, Rollins, etc. Thats a considerable drop. Now with 2B, if you don't get Boone or Vidro ( my 3 & 4) there's still Alomar, Castillo, Spivey, Durham, Biggio and T. Walker. Most would debate all of these rankings and therefore you can see the drop is not as drastic. Anyway thats my thoughts on it. Have a nice day.
She turned me into a newt...........................
Decack
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Decack » Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:27 pm

As far as Preston Wilson and Torii Hunter, I think your absolutely correct that they will go on the late side and will give you good numbers at their draft positions. Just don't wait too long for them, other owners are thinking the same thing.
She turned me into a newt...........................
Decack
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers