inge or kendal at catcher? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

inge or kendal at catcher?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:40 am

Well I guess it would depend on the scoring categories, but in a normal 5x5 Inge shouldn't be starting, let alone in a 10 team league.

I suppose in a H2H league where you don't have to worry about GP limits Inge would be a handy guy to have on the bench to fill in at a bunch of positions on off days, but he's not a starter IMO. And Kendall is easily better than him. He won't get as many triples though, simply because of his home park. Comerica is the best in the league for triples, while the Coliseum is one of the worst.
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:52 am

I think you guys may really be suprised by the totals Inge puts up this yr.

Consider that last yr Inge finished as the 12th best C. This is in comparison to Cs like Kendall who put up roughly 150 more ABs.

If he gets those ABs this yr - as he should being an everyday player - and if he continues to hit the way he did last yr (hes's hitting better this yr BTW), how can you say he wont be a top 10 C?

Now, I can understand if you expect him to fall off the table and think his hitting is a fluke - thats fine - I disagree, but I'm sure his stats prior to 2004 suggest he will decline.

I think this is much closer than some of you believe.
Image
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LBJackal » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:05 am

He's a decent player, but looking at his career before last year he wasn't a very good hitter. Maybe the move from catcher to the field allowed him to focus more on hitting. From what I understand he used to be a very good defensive catcher.

He used to K a lot, and not take many walks, which hurt his batting average. Coupled with not having much power and not being a SB threat, as well as hitting at the bottom of the lineup, he needs to have a good BA or else his value is shot. The extra AB's and time to focus on hitting will help him, and he very well could be a good hitter this year. But I'd prefer surer things like Ramon Hernandez, AJ, Lieberthal, all who can be had near the end of the draft. And of course, I'd take Kendall over him too.

And any chance he gets some games in at C this year spelling Pudge, or is is only going to be Wilson doing that? If he continues hitting like this he would have some value for next season as long as he keeps C eligibility. Otherwise he might pull an Eli Marrero/Robert Fick and vanish after changing positions.
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby slomo007 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:10 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I think you guys may really be suprised by the totals Inge puts up this yr.

Consider that last yr Inge finished as the 12th best C. This is in comparison to Cs like Kendall who put up roughly 150 more ABs.

If he gets those ABs this yr - as he should being an everyday player - and if he continues to hit the way he did last yr (hes's hitting better this yr BTW), how can you say he wont be a top 10 C?

Now, I can understand if you expect him to fall off the table and think his hitting is a fluke - thats fine - I disagree, but I'm sure his stats prior to 2004 suggest he will decline.

I think this is much closer than some of you believe.


CBM...fantasy purposes aside here, how is Inge defensively at 3b? I have only seen 2 Tigers games this year, and I think he made errors during both of them, or at least plays that should have been errors. Is he a defensive liability that could possibly cause him to lose PT? Do they have a backup 3b that is even decent? Can Thames play 3rd maybe?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:14 am

LBJackal wrote:And any chance he gets some games in at C this year spelling Pudge, or is is only going to be Wilson doing that? If he continues hitting like this he could have some value for next season as long as he keeps C eligibility. Otherwise he might pull an Eli Marrero/Robert Fick and vanish after changing positions.


no - Wilson will back up Pudge - Id be very suprised to see Inge get 10 games in at C this yr.

The reason is lack of a 3B options. Inge has been suprisingly solid there for the Tigers, and the Tiger bench infield (Martinez and Smith) are really more MI than 3B. DYoung wont play 3B again. In fact, Detroit has so few options at 3B right now, Craig Monroe is listed as the backup 3B on some listings.

Inge could very well disappear after this yr - although he is good enough to be considered a fantasy C, once he loses that eligibility his value plummets. As a 3B only option he isnt worth much.
Image
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:19 am

slomo007 wrote:CBM...fantasy purposes aside here, how is Inge defensively at 3b? I have only seen 2 Tigers games this year, and I think he made errors during both of them, or at least plays that should have been errors. Is he a defensive liability that could possibly cause him to lose PT? Do they have a backup 3b that is even decent? Can Thames play 3rd maybe?


Defensively he has been relatively solid. The first few games he made a couple errors (dont think they were logged as errors however), but has since settled in. He has always been considered strong defensively - in fact thats why he was in the majors in the first place (it certainly wasnt because of his bat). Id say most of the Tiger fans that have watched him play these first 7-8 games would say they have been pleasantly suprised by him. Many are calling for him to hit leadoff (and looking at the numbers between Inge and Infante you really cant blame them).
Image
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby slomo007 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:24 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
slomo007 wrote:CBM...fantasy purposes aside here, how is Inge defensively at 3b? I have only seen 2 Tigers games this year, and I think he made errors during both of them, or at least plays that should have been errors. Is he a defensive liability that could possibly cause him to lose PT? Do they have a backup 3b that is even decent? Can Thames play 3rd maybe?


Defensively he has been relatively solid. The first few games he made a couple errors (dont think they were logged as errors however), but has since settled in. He has always been considered strong defensively - in fact thats why he was in the majors in the first place (it certainly wasnt because of his bat). Id say most of the Tiger fans that have watched him play these first 7-8 games would say they have been pleasantly suprised by him. Many are calling for him to hit leadoff (and looking at the numbers between Inge and Infante you really cant blame them).


Thanks for the heads up...I personally hope Infante stays in the leadoff spot, for selfish reasons. :-b

What's the deal with Thames? What is his potential if Maggs is out long-term?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby -1FA- » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:32 pm

Kendell over Inge, but if you're a gambler, then trade Kendell to upgrade at another position and hope Inge can bat his way down the lineup. If he does...you win, if he doesn't I don't think you'd be in horrible shape except for average.

I'd gamble, but you may want to upgrade with a player known for good average to hedge your bet.

I think Kendell is the highest ranked C I'd do this with.

I'm not exactly sure what Inge's average was last year when playing 3rd, but I do know it was much better than when he played C.

Inge is an interesting player this year, but after losing C eligibility next year I don't think he'll come up too much in discussion.

Unless he ends up hitting 30 HR's this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;-D
-1FA-
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 87
Joined: 8 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: NY

Postby korwin » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:40 pm

Even if he bats 9 in the line up, he should get as many as bats as a catcher assuming that he plays every day and a catcher takes at least a day off every week.
korwin
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 97
Joined: 2 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Jul. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

St. Louis at Chi Cubs
(4:05 pm)
Toronto at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Arizona at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Boston at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Diego at Atlanta
(7:35 pm)
Oakland at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
NY Mets at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Miami at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Detroit at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Baltimore at Seattle
(10:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact