what to make out of bedards outing? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

what to make out of bedards outing?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pedantic » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:11 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:
Conner wrote:
How is he "Very lucky to get out of that game without a loss."?

He gave up 1 run in 5 innings.

He was pretty unlucky to not be in line for a win, with that offense behind him...

The Rays left 12 guys on base in the first two innings alone. That's not altogether good pitching and poor hitting, there's a large degree of luck in there as well.

With 8 hits and 2 walks in just 5 innings of work he was damn lucky to only give up 1 ER.

His control last year WAS VERY POOR. True, he was far batter in his season debut but his control again tonite was not good. He got behind a lot of hitters but was fortunate to make decent pitches when he needed to. It remains to be seen whether his control improves this season but I would doubt it improves greatly.

Last season was his first season back from Tommy John surgery. Don't base your entire assessment on those numbers.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Conner » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:12 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:
Conner wrote:
How is he "Very lucky to get out of that game without a loss."?

He gave up 1 run in 5 innings.

He was pretty unlucky to not be in line for a win, with that offense behind him...

The Rays left 12 guys on base in the first two innings alone. That's not altogether good pitching and poor hitting, there's a large degree of luck in there as well.

With 8 hits and 2 walks in just 5 innings of work he was damn lucky to only give up 1 ER.

1 run in 5 innings. That's all that matters, in the end.

No matter what...it wasn't a terrible outing...certainly not something that should change anyone's opinion about him, if you thought he'd be good this season.

His control last year WAS VERY POOR. True, he was far batter in his season debut but his control again tonite was not good. He got behind a lot of hitters but was fortunate to make decent pitches when he needed to. It remains to be seen whether his control improves this season but I would doubt it improves greatly.

I'm pretty sure everyone knows that his control was bad last season....

The fact of the matter is....it's never been that bad before, and he was coming off of tommy john surgery.

There's plenty of reason for me to believe it'll get better.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NZF » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:27 pm

Pedantic wrote:
Last season was his first season back from Tommy John surgery. Don't base your entire assessment on those numbers.

:-? Last season was his first season in the majors. Don't get carried away with what he did in the minors.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Conner » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:35 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:
Pedantic wrote:

:-? Last season was his first season in the majors. Don't get carried away with what he did in the minors.

Minor league statistics mean a lot more than you think...
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:39 pm

Conner wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:
Pedantic wrote:

I agree...I'm not going to cut him in my 12 teamer yet. He has an easy schedule coming up. I might bench him for his next start in Baltimore against Detroit...but then he should follow that up with Toronto and Tampa Bay, assuming the pitchers stay on pace as they are. I want him in my lineup for those two games.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby NZF » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:39 pm

Conner wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:
Pedantic wrote:

Yeah just ask Pods
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:40 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:
Conner wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:
Pedantic wrote:

Yeah just ask Pods

Or Prior, or Harden. ;-7
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Pedantic » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:40 pm

He posted a 3.54 K/BB ratio in the minors. He might not do that in the majors, but I sure don't think he's going to be as "bad" as he was last year. The fact remains that he was coming off of TJ surgery and that pitchers are not the same in the first year back.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby slomo007 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:43 pm

Pedantic wrote:He posted a 3.54 K/BB ratio in the minors. He might not do that in the majors, but I sure don't think he's going to be as "bad" as he was last year. The fact remains that he was coming off of TJ surgery and that pitchers are not the same in the first year back.

;-D

Don't give up on him yet. He may or may not break out, but it's not like he got lit up tonight. You will regret it all year if he breaks out....on someone else's roster.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby chadxor » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:04 pm

IP maximum is irrelevent since i'm in a h2h league
chadxor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext