what to make out of bedards outing? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

what to make out of bedards outing?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

what to make out of bedards outing?

Postby jayman » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:19 pm

1 ER over 5 but 8 hits and 2 BB!
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MMoNeY24 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:20 pm

I started him in a few leagues tonight. The hits and walks don't help but it shows he was able to get out of jams with only giving up 1 ER. Not too happy b/c he got pulled w/o a chance to win it, but satisfied overall.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AznHisoka » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:24 pm

I started him in my H2H league as well. But I gotta see how he pitches against teams like the Yankees and Red Sox before I get excited over him as an option for the long term.
AznHisoka
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pedantic » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:26 pm

He's still young, but I had him pegged as an ultra-sleeper. He was coming off of his first season after TJ surgery and was a highly regarded prospect before it. I don't expect a 1.50 ERA the whole season long, but I'll take it while I can.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby NZF » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:28 pm

Very lucky to get out of that game without a loss.

He is not worth a roster spot in anything less than a 16 team league and should be used for spot starting when he's got a favourable match-up only.

He has got good stuff but very poor control so even if he pitches ok his regular high pitch count means he'll rarely go any deeper than 5 or 6 innings.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Eephus » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 pm

On the minus side, he had no 1-2-3 innings, he hurt your WHIP (and it was the Devil Rays).

But he got some big outs with runners in scoring position and got his 5 IP in. If the O's scored some runs, he'd be in position to pick up a W. Also, no extra base hits.

Things happen to young pitchers. No reason to overreact if you picked him up after his outing last week.
Eephus
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Conner » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:50 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:Very lucky to get out of that game without a loss.

He is not worth a roster spot in anything less than a 16 team league and should be used for spot starting when he's got a favourable match-up only.

He has got good stuff but very poor control so even if he pitches ok his regular high pitch count means he'll rarely go any deeper than 5 or 6 innings.

He really doesn't have "very poor control".

It certainly wasn't good last year, but he was coming back from surgery, which almost always hurts a guys' control. He's never walked a ton of guys before last season.

1 walk in his first start (in 7 innings), 2 walks tonight. That's not bad.

Also:

How is he "Very lucky to get out of that game without a loss."?

He gave up 1 run in 5 innings.

He was pretty unlucky to not be in line for a win, with that offense behind him...
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chadxor » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:03 pm

16 team league? i call BS. i like to carry alot of pitchers and guys with some upside
chadxor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NZF » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:05 pm

Conner wrote:
How is he "Very lucky to get out of that game without a loss."?

He gave up 1 run in 5 innings.

He was pretty unlucky to not be in line for a win, with that offense behind him...

The Rays left 12 guys on base in the first two innings alone. That's not altogether good pitching and poor hitting, there's a large degree of luck in there as well.

With 8 hits and 2 walks in just 5 innings of work he was damn lucky to only give up 1 ER.

His control last year WAS VERY POOR. True, he was far batter in his season debut but his control again tonite was not good. He got behind a lot of hitters but was fortunate to make decent pitches when he needed to. It remains to be seen whether his control improves this season but I would doubt it improves greatly.
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NZF » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:09 pm

chadxor wrote:16 team league? i call BS. i like to carry alot of pitchers and guys with some upside

If you're playing in standard leagues that have IP maximums then what's the point :-?
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers