First Base Rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

First Base Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

First Base Rankings

Postby gregsanders » Fri Jan 03, 2003 5:29 pm

Here are my rankings for 2003 first basemen. I have ranked the top 12 at this position.

1. Todd Helton- Last year's numbers were considered a "down" year, but remember that he had back issues and a humidor to contend with. I have a feeling that a terrible record and the admission that pitching doesn't win in Colorado might make that humidor packed with Garcia Vega's and not hardballs in 2003.

2. Jason Giambi- His numbers will rival Helton's without the home/ away disparity. He's also a horse who always plays.

3. Carlos Delgado- This line-up is looking extremely solid from top to bottom. If Carlos can just get that avg. up he would join Helton and Giambi.

4. Mike Sweeney- He's 29 years old and hits .330 without nearly as many walks as Giambi or Helton. This gives you more bang for your buck in hits/ avg. Did I mention that he's a shoe-in for 30 HR and 110 RBI? He also might be the best sb threat at his position.

5. Jim Thome- The "Thominator" is guy who always stinks up the joint the first six weeks of the season before his swing gets rolling, and that's in a league he's familiar with. Thome's persistently sore back coupled with 81 games on Philly's turf scare me off this guy a little.

6. Jeff Bagwell- His speed is no longer a stat stuffer and he probably won't regain his pre-shoulder injury form. That being said he's hitting in a whiffle ball field with studs all around him.

7. Rafael Palmiero- zzzzzzzzzz...280, 34 HR, 115 RBI...zzzzzzzzzz

8. Paul Konerko- He has one of the most compact and powerful swings I have ever seen. He's already a .300 caliber hitter who's pitch selection should improve by leaps and bounds. He might have the biggest upside of anyone on this list.

9. Richie Sexson- He's got an even worse line-up than last year to produce in. He'll be extremely lucky to duplicate last season's numbers.

10. Derek Lee- He was a super-prospect a few years back and looks to be a late bloomer. With castillo and possible Lowell and Pierre hitting around him he might knock in 110 this year. He also plays for the marlins, a team not afraid to move runners and stockpile sb's. Playing in Florida's ballpark is holding his stats way down.

11. Sean Casey- I'm looking for a huge season from the guy. hitting .320 with 22 bombs is not out of the question for Casey, who will be playing in new and packed park and is currently hitting in a line-up including Griffey, Dunn, Kearns, and Boone. he's another guy who doesn't walk but maintains a high avg.

12. Aubrey Huff- A guy in his physical prime playing for Piniella who is capable of .290, 24 HR, 95 RBI. You can get him cheap and his numbers just might rival you would have to spend twice as much to land. Call it the Devil Ray discount.
gregsanders
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jnr98 » Fri Jan 03, 2003 5:52 pm

Aubrey Huff and Sean Casey both on this list? Yikes! Is 1B that shallow?

Where are these guys? I'd take nearly any of them before those two (Casey's a huge injury risk), but it's early and I'm not fully up to speed research-wise:

* Nick Johnson (DH/1B)
* Adam Dunn (1B eligible)
* Jeff Kent (1B eligible, perhaps)
* Albert Pujols (1b eligible)
* John Olerud (easy to forget, always produces)
* Scott Spezio (coming of age?)
* Brad Fullmer (whereever he lands)
* McGriff (30 HR year in and year out)
* Nevin (rebound time, plus eligible at 3B?)
* Carlos Pena
* Durazo (if healthy)
You may remember him as Joe the Policeman from the "What's Goin' Down?" episode of That's My Momma! Please welcome, Jackson Heights' own, Mr. Randy Watson! Sexual Chocolate!!!
jnr98
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby EugeneStyles » Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:01 pm

Speaking of McGriff, does anyone know if he'll be back next year? There was some speculation before last year that it would be his last, but I haven't heard anything about it this year. With Hee Seop Choi and Eric Karros, it doesn't look likely that the Cubs will even bother trying to re-sign him (they already declined to pick up the option on his contract), but that doesn't mean some other team wouldn't be willing to pick up his 30 HR's. But it's possible that he's just sick of playing.

Has anyone heard anything?
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby jnr98 » Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:02 pm

He signed with The Dodgers
You may remember him as Joe the Policeman from the "What's Goin' Down?" episode of That's My Momma! Please welcome, Jackson Heights' own, Mr. Randy Watson! Sexual Chocolate!!!
jnr98
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

1st Base Rankings

Postby YankFan51 » Fri Jan 03, 2003 7:27 pm

I'd rate players that play full-time like this(exlcuding Pujols and Kent since they aren't real first basemen)

1. Jason Giambi
2. Todd Helton
3. Jim Thome
4. Jeff Bagwell
5. Rafael Palmeiro
6. Mike Sweeney
7. Carlos Delgado
8. Richie Sexson
9. Paul Konerko
10. Erubiel Durazo/Derek Lee/John Olerud
YankFan51

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

1b

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:58 pm

I would have to rate Thome 3, Bagwell 4, Delgado at 5. Delgado has a long swing, his 300 season was a fluke, plus he struggles versus lefties. Bagwell still had a .916 ops with a bad shoulder all year. Thome will be interesting to watch, since the Jake beniffitted him greatly.
HOOTIE

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Eligibility Requirements

Postby gregsanders » Sat Jan 04, 2003 11:54 am

I am in a league that mandates 30 games at a position in order to qualify and have therefore left Nevin, Pujols, Kent, (Dunn?) and others off my rankings.

I actually like the high requirements for position eligibility. It makes guys stay at their normal positions.
gregsanders
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Why no love for Nevin?

Postby trevisc » Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:38 pm

2 years ago the guy was untouchable and now that he was gimpy for a year he's left to the dogs.

Here is my top 10:

Giambi
Helton
Klesko (Stolen bases will return)
Jeff Bagwell (thanks to kent)
Thome
Nevin
Konerko
Palmeiro
Sexton
Delgado

O:-)