New Marlin's Manager - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

New Marlin's Manager

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New Marlin's Manager

Postby New Marlins Manager... » Mon May 12, 2003 11:30 pm

Well I don't know if this game or the last one was his first, but if it's this one, I don't think he's making a very good impression (certainly not on me).

T. Phelps was the starter for Florida and he had completed 3 scoreless innings with no walks and 3Ks (scattered 5 hits though).

Top of the 4th, Marlins batting with runners on first and second, 2 outs with the pitcher's spot coming up, score 3 to 0 Marlins. You'd think the pitcher would bat for himself since it's early in the game and he's pitching fine so far (especially with a 3 run lead against the Padres), but nope he brings in a pitch hitter. It doesn't seem quite so bad since the PH singled and scored another run, but I still think it's a pretty stupid move.

Would he do something stupid like that if Beckett was pitching? Or is it just because Phelps is a rookie? Opinions?
New Marlins Manager...

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jdh » Tue May 13, 2003 9:00 am

The reason that they did it is that Phelps is a middle reliever who was forced to make a spot start because of all the injuries to Marlins starters. Since he is conditioned to be a reliever, he isn't conditioned to throw 100+ pitches yet, so they likely had him on a 60-80 pitch count.

No, I don't think he'd do that with Beckett, but he also won't be leaving people out there for 120+ pitches like Torborg did. MacKeon is known for making extensive use of his bullpen, so don't expect any CG from him. The only owners that should be really worried are Braden Loopers' owners, given MacKeon's stated preference for the bullpen committee approach.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers