Does your league allow this? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Does your league allow this?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:43 am

AtlDynasty25 wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:
steve wrote:Frank Francisco of texas, Think flying chair. Dan Meyer Oakland one of the players in the Hudson trade ( I guess I should mention his first name, Tim) Here's the owners thinking he's worried Lohse will blow up his teams ERA and WHIP this week. He has to have all 9 P slots filled and more than likely Francisco and Meyer will not be activated by Oak. or Tex. this week

way to be a jerk when you're asking for help. that always works...

I don't think he meant to be sarcastic. He was just clarifying which was asked of him. I still don't understand the question though :-? haha

He was asking that each team has to start 9 pitchers everyday. This owner instead of starting Loshe he started a DL/ML guy who wouldn't get him any stats. Whereas, Loshe could go out there and get rocked and it would have been better to start someone who would get him 0 stats. His question: Is that wrong and does your league allow it?. No. It's playing the matchups the way he sees fit and nothing wrong with it. I believe that is what he meant.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby noseeum » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:49 am

Nothing wrong with the move at all, but something certainly wrong with this thread. ;-)
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby agchris02 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:57 am

I think he's upset over the following, which Im sure we've all had happen before

the teams in his league have to start 9SP's each week, and a 1000IP minimum for the SEASON

so this week he started a pitcher that was GUARENTEED not to pitch one innning so he could bench lohse and not have his era inflated

I dont see any problem with this, if you think it is, convert to a weekly league and have a minimum GS pitched per week (with nine SP spots, Id suggest 9 :) ). OR go to a daily league with a minimum of 2SP a day (would force him to start lohse some), though this would require LOTS of managing and some intersting add drops during the yr to get your needed starters
on second thought thats a bad idea, just stick with weekly minimum innings
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby steve » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:06 am

I'm the Commissioner of this league and I didnt have a problem with this. A couple of owners stated almost every league they have seen this would have not been allowed. one last bit of info we used weekly lineups. Thanks for your imput. and feel free to add furthe coment.
steve
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mkultra » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:04 pm

There's nothing wrong with this. It's good strategy ;-D
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby LBJackal » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:23 pm

If it's legal, there's nothing wrong with it. I know of an expert who got only 9 single-A pitchers who will never be called up to fill his 9 pitcher spots. It was an auction, and he only spent $9 on his pitchers. The idea was that he's be guaranteed wins in ERA and WHIP (got a couple MR in the reserve round, whch he'll throw in for a copuple IP until the ERA and WHIP are low enough to finish first in both), and spending $251 should assure his 1st, or close to 1st, in every hitting category. Which should land him in the money. Now, you can only do that if there's no IP minimum. This was in the NFBC where the entry fee is $1250 so he's not a moron, he knows what he's doing and has worked out the angles. The NFBC is now implementing a minimum IP because of that tactic though.

So yeah... the manager is just being smart. He has to fill that spot, and if Francisco or Meyer will hurt his team less, it absolutely makes sense to put them in there instead of Lohse. With only 1000 IP, he should make it there easily.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby stevethumb » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:25 pm

we had a league winner once have 2 japanese league pitchers up almost the entire year in an effort to protect his whip and era..)min 1000 IP league(--he ended up w/1002 IP /// smart startegy if you don't mind jeopardizing wins and k's
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Cooner » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:31 pm

in all leagues i'm involved in, you're not required to have the full complement of pitchers (or any players) at any time. So if I wanted to leave a position blank, I could. So I don't have a problem with this at all.

As far as your league, if it ain't against the rules, I have no problem with the strategy either, though it may be using a loophole to get around the "no empty slots" rule.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LBJackal » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:33 pm

Yeah traditional Roto leagues (Yahoo is not traditional) you have to have every spot filled. "Real" roto is much different than the standard Yahoo league.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:43 pm

I have done this in the past.......Drop a player, pick someone up, DL him, and then pick someone else up. I don't consider it illegal at all. Either way, if there is nothing against this in your league rules, there is nothing that anyone can do about it now. Approach it again before next year's draft.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers