Yankees/Redsox on ESPN again Wed??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yankees/Redsox on ESPN again Wed???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:19 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:
wrveres wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:So now, because you're sick of ESPN televising them, you wish they do not make the playoffs. :-? Because it's their fault they get the highest ratings, and it's their fault that ESPN wants to televise them over anyone else.


After this BS media blitz that they have shoved down our throughts ... I hope the Sox never make the playoffs again. I hope it is another 80 plus years before they see a pennant much less a title.

..
Also, I don't think I really need to explain the 'greed' arguement to anybody. If you can't see it, I can't help you.


People always said that when we (the Red Sox) won, we'd be hated as much as the Yankees. I really didn't believe it, but I'm starting to see it now. People that have absolutely no reason to hate the Red Sox do just b/c they won a World Series. I mean, I hate the Yankees, but b/c I'm a Red Sox fan. I have a reason. You hate the Red Sox b/c the media shows them too much?.....good reason. :-t


I don't think that it's hate as much as it is being inundated with them now as well as them no longer being the loveable losers.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby afromangettindrunk » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:20 pm

There is no :~( in (o)
Image
afromangettindrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 808
Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Albany, NY

Postby Payne Dailey » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:33 pm

I don't know what kind of cable/satellite/broadcast situation you're in cafers. I get the tbs,wgn, fox, espn and almost all of the Rangers & Astros games. So it works out to a game or more a day, which is more than enough for me. I see most of the teams I want to see in the NL central which is my main concern. If you want the option of seeing every game just get the MLB package on cable or the internet. ESPN is a business and business is good during that series.

They're playing the Yanks~Sox series because they meet early and often this year. You'll get the diversity you're looking for when they stop meeting as much. For those who say I hate the Yanks/Sox that's fine, I say go watch a college or high school game they're just as fun as the pros.
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 1371
Joined: 17 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: stealing home

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:30 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:
wrveres wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:So now, because you're sick of ESPN televising them, you wish they do not make the playoffs. :-? Because it's their fault they get the highest ratings, and it's their fault that ESPN wants to televise them over anyone else.


After this BS media blitz that they have shoved down our throughts ... I hope the Sox never make the playoffs again. I hope it is another 80 plus years before they see a pennant much less a title.

..
Also, I don't think I really need to explain the 'greed' arguement to anybody. If you can't see it, I can't help you.


People always said that when we (the Red Sox) won, we'd be hated as much as the Yankees. I really didn't believe it, but I'm starting to see it now. People that have absolutely no reason to hate the Red Sox do just b/c they won a World Series. I mean, I hate the Yankees, but b/c I'm a Red Sox fan. I have a reason. You hate the Red Sox b/c the media shows them too much?.....good reason. :-t

I hated the Red Sox long before this, more because of their self-loathing for the most part. This has just made it worse. I think you need to realize that the Red Sox are the closest team to being the Yankees in baseball, in terms of payroll and bandwagon fans. (Please don't tell me all these red sox fans that came out of hiding the past 2 years are true fans, because you know its not true.)
Image
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6426
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: AKA 34=Sweetness on FFC

Postby afromangettindrunk » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:18 am

who cares? im a true for life fan and always will be. when and IF the cubs ever win it will be the same thing...thats how it goes with humans. people love cinderella stories and underdogs and unlikely occurances. they love to watch a dominant team or person get taken down....


do i disagree that there are a ton of bandwagon fans? not at all. but what does it matter? it helps the business (the league is a business afterall) and i see it as a positive thing to get more people involved. when the self-loathing cubs fans win their WS the same s*** will go down and other fans will complain about it being trendy, but who gives? its all for the love of the game (with exceptions for the retarded people who call themselves fans....which will always be present in all leagues).


if i make little sense to any of you, oh well....its late and ive read through a lot of posts of :~( :~( :~( . so happy baseball season to all...you all have a chance this year. :*)
Image
afromangettindrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 808
Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Albany, NY

Postby wrveres » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:26 am

Nomar4prez wrote:You hate the Red Sox b/c the media shows them too much?.....good reason. :-t


no. Thats just one reason.
It also happens to be the most current reason.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 671)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thehat » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:29 am

BritSox wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:
TB13 wrote:


The Sox have won five or six championships, depending on whether you count the Pilgrims.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BOS/



The Sox were never called the 'Boston Pilgrims'. It's an urban myth. Some guy wrote a book proving this recently, forget the title tho i could search it if it really matters.

I'd also like to suggest some of you find a Manchester City fan and ask him if he considers Man United to be their rivals.


You are correct, sir. They were never known as the Pilgrims. In actuality, the two Boston franchises at the turn of the century were simply the Americans and the Nationals. The mythical nicknames wre conjured up by the press, and included Pilgrims, Puritans, Plymouth Rocks, Collinsmen (manager was Eddie Collins) and Somersets (owner was Charles Somers). Neither the players nor the fans recognized these names. They became the Red Sox prior to the 1908 season.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 3721
Joined: 1 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fabulous Las Vegas

Postby Tick Dog » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:03 am

Pretty funny take on the whole "Sox-overstaying-their-welcome-in-the-spotlight, Sox fans-becoming-real-annoying" phenomenon below...written by a Sox fan, no less, w/ more objective humility than Sports Guy Simmons will ever have. Pretty refreshing.

One of my fave parts: We're sorry you haven't been able to turn on a TV or radio, or so much as walk outside your home, without seeing or hearing the words "Boston," "Red," "Sox" and/or "Socks," "World Series, or "Curse." We apologize for the deluge of Sox-related books, movies, documentaries, mockumentaries, sockumentaries, T-shirts, hats, bumper stickers, beer coozys, baby car seats, energy bars, or erectile dysfunction medication. On a recent visit to 7-Eleven, I swear I saw a package of official Boston Red Sox Brand condoms® behind the counter. It had a picture of unfrozen caveman centerfielder Johnny Damon giving a cheesy thumbs-up with the tag line: "Don't be an Idiot…practice safe sex!"™ (A little hypocritical, considering that, after he dumped the proverbial "kind, supportive wife who stuck with him through the minor league hard times" for the "former stripper who would have spent her life showering on-stage with drunken paper salesmen from Boise had she not remora-fished herself onto the meaty underbelly of a professional athlete," Damon shagged his way through Boston like Robert Plant on the Physical Graffiti tour in '75. But I digress.)

Whole column here: http://zulkey.com/diary_archive_041305.html
Tick Dog
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 21
Joined: 2 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TB13 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:11 am

Lofunzo wrote:I don't think that it's hate as much as it is being inundated with them now as well as them no longer being the loveable losers.


You know, maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time associating the words "loveable loosers" with a team that won the Series, and became the team with the highest payroll to ever do so. Usually, loveable loosers are associated with the Cinderella little guy. The Sox, hardly qualify. People love to bash the Yankees payroll and wallet, but somehow the Sox escape it. Why is that?
The Sox are World Series champions. None can deny that or take that away. But to treat these guys as an underdog is utterly ridiculous. Were it not for constant Yankee money bashing, the Red Sox would be at the top of the heap as far as targets for outspending everyone else.
Again, best team in baseball last year... Yes. Defending champs? Yes. Loveable loosers? Hardly. Having set the record for the highest payroll to ever win the Series does not make you the underdog, loveable looser type.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1197
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Xanadu

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:22 am

TB13 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:I don't think that it's hate as much as it is being inundated with them now as well as them no longer being the loveable losers.


You know, maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time associating the words "loveable loosers" with a team that won the Series, and became the team with the highest payroll to ever do so. Usually, loveable loosers are associated with the Cinderella little guy. The Sox, hardly qualify. People love to bash the Yankees payroll and wallet, but somehow the Sox escape it. Why is that?
The Sox are World Series champions. None can deny that or take that away. But to treat these guys as an underdog is utterly ridiculous. Were it not for constant Yankee money bashing, the Red Sox would be at the top of the heap as far as targets for outspending everyone else.
Again, best team in baseball last year... Yes. Defending champs? Yes. Loveable loosers? Hardly. Having set the record for the highest payroll to ever win the Series does not make you the underdog, loveable looser type.


They were absolutely the loveable losers for quite some time. The #2 payroll didn't change that. They were associated with the curse, among other things, and people almost felt bad for them. Now that they won, that no longer applies.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact