Yankees/Redsox on ESPN again Wed??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yankees/Redsox on ESPN again Wed???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:35 am

Sigh.

First of all, a rivalry does not need some sort of equal competition. Look up the word.

Ted Williams never won a championship--but you don't think he didn't consider the Yankees rivals? Dimaggio, too?

I do not deny that the Yankees have won more championships, but that's not the point.

The point is they are fierce rivals, everyone--players, managers, fans alike gear up for these games. The stadium is electric during these games.

And even if you didn't think there was a rivalry over the past century, there definitely has been one this century--the teams are extremely close in competition--see previous stats.

Tongue in cheek or not, you're off base.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:39 am

nettles3Ball-star wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:"The only way it isn't is if you're punishing Boston for once being a racist organization and for its previously inept front office. "

I don't get this part. What's the context? I think almost all the organizations were racist thanks to Judge Landis' unwritten code. And, unfortunately that was true as well of my beloved Yanks, who suffered through seasons of losing during their refusal to add black players. That's karma.

The Sox were one of the--if not the--most racist teams. Tom Yawkey, the team's previous owner, was an absolute racist scumbag. His racism hurt the team for years and years.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TB13 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:57 am

Transmogrifier wrote:First of all, a rivalry does not need some sort of equal competition. Look up the word.

Fine. Touche.

"The point is they are fierce rivals, everyone--players, managers, fans alike gear up for these games. The stadium is electric during these games. "

True again.

"And even if you didn't think there was a rivalry over the past century, there definitely has been one this century--the teams are extremely close in competition--see previous stats"

This century is all of 5 years old. It does not suddenly erase what happened in the past. Far or near. Even within these 5 years, how many times have the 'Yanks won the division and how many times have the Sox done so? How many times have the Yanks been to the Series and how many times have the Sox?

"Tongue in cheek or not, you're off base."

Off base on what? By saying that it has not really been all that much of a rivalry, as more of a one-sided beat down? I really do not think so. Yes, they are rivals in the strictest sense of the word. But it is more of two organizations that detest each other. Yes, Red Sox have been the Yanks greatest competitors of late. That does not suddenly change history. Ok, it IS a rivalry. It's just that that one of the rivals has come out on top much moreso than the other.
BTW, most of this argument is done from a devils advocate point of view.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Nomar4prez » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:33 pm

I laugh when people don't think Red Sox/Yankees are a rivalry. What would you're requirement for a rivalry be? They would each have to win an equal amount of division titles, and World Series? Well, then I guess there are no rivalries in sports.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BritSox » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:46 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
TB13 wrote:

The Sox have won five or six championships, depending on whether you count the Pilgrims.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BOS/

The Sox were never called the 'Boston Pilgrims'. It's an urban myth. Some guy wrote a book proving this recently, forget the title tho i could search it if it really matters.

I'd also like to suggest some of you find a Manchester City fan and ask him if he considers Man United to be their rivals.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:09 pm

Yankees-Red Sox is a rivalry but not because the Sox have won 2 less games in the past 4 years or whatever those stats were. I agree with Trans on the points that everyone is psyched when they play eachother and the atmosphere is electric. It is a rivalry. But it's also been a beatdown for a century. There's absolutely no denying that.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby afromangettindrunk » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:06 pm

it HAS been an indescribable beatdown the past century. (which made for the sweetest WS win imaginable....no NY championship could hope to have the same effect on its fans)

theres also no denying the indescribable choke never before witnessed at a similar level. ;-D

the way i see it is its the start of a brand new season and nothing matters except how this year turns out. and i love ESPN giving so much coverage :-D

gotta remember that west coast games are played later and draw much smaller audiences due to that fact. ESPN is also based in Connecticut so theyre right in the epicenter of the whole NY/BOS ordeal.
Last edited by afromangettindrunk on Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
afromangettindrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:08 pm

afromangettindrunk wrote:(which made for the sweetest WS win imaginable....no NY championship could hope to have the same effect on its fans)

Yeah, well 0 for 85 will do that for you. ;-)
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby afromangettindrunk » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:11 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
afromangettindrunk wrote:(which made for the sweetest WS win imaginable....no NY championship could hope to have the same effect on its fans)

Yeah, well 0 for 85 will do that for you. ;-)

you are right my friend. (for me it was only 0-19 before last year so much more digestible)
afromangettindrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:15 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:News flash, guys, ESPN, Fox, all of them--they are businesses. They don't have a responsibility to show all teams or a good variety. They show the games that will get them the best ratings, the most money. Guess what? That's Yanks-Sox, over and over and over.

Newsflash, a Cubs game in the local market will get better ratings than the Yankees/Red Sox rain delay update. I wish they would do some sort of regional thing, instead of this all Red Sox, all Yankee thing. Its like the entire world revolves between these teams. Especially the Red Sox. The new trendy thing is the Red Sox. They are everywhere. Ben Affleck, Jimmy Fallon, Fever Pitch, ring ceremonies everywhere, people complaining Pedro didn't show up, etc. Its like the Red Sox were the only team that hasn't won a world series in a while. (The White Sox curse is longer, for example, and yet there is no pining, movies about them and such.) Why no excessive coverage of the White Sox? After all, they are a bigger market than Boston (just city wise. I realize theres a lot more Cubs fans) And there are plenty of Cubs fans too, and there curse is even longer? Why no media blitz? Its rather silly. I wish they would realize there are 28 other teams worth covering. The Red Sox and Yanks aren't even in first place. How bout them Blue Jays?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers