Yankees/Redsox on ESPN again Wed??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yankees/Redsox on ESPN again Wed???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TB13 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:19 am

The fact of the matter is that the 'Yanks/Sox is the best thing that baseball can market right now. There is going to be no Sosa/MM to bail them out. Bonds' chase after the Babe & Hank Aaron is tainted by the fact that he is a juicer.
The rivalry (I still chuckle when it is termed as such...ok, it's not 26-0, but 26-1...not much of a rivalry) is the biggest and best thing that baseball has now. From a buisiness standpoint, it is the one thing that ESPN can bank on. That is why this year will be saturated w/ 'Yanks-Sox. Unless off course the Cubs can come out swinging and not stop. The Cubbies battle to win the World Series will be more epic and attract even more fans that the Red Sox.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:22 am

While I understand why everyone is mad about this, you need to understand why they do it. There are more Yankee fans than any other team and the Yanks-Sox rivalry is at it's highest point right now. While some variety might suffice some fans, Yanks-Sox will bring in more viewers. That is all that ESPN or the advertisers really care about.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby kev921 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:27 am

I understand why the Sox & Yankees are on. The rivalry, the history, the payrolls etc.

I am disappointed because I want to see other teams that I do not normally get to watch. It's not a big market versus small market issue either. It's a new season let me see something different :-P
kev921
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby donny23 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:35 am

kev921 wrote:I understand why the Sox & Yankees are on. The rivalry, the history, the payrolls etc.

I am disappointed because I want to see other teams that I do not normally get to watch. It's not a big market versus small market issue either. It's a new season let me see something different :-P

They don't play each other 162 games a season, so you'll see different stuff. It just happens that they have two early series against each other.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:44 am

donny23 wrote:
kev921 wrote:I understand why the Sox & Yankees are on. The rivalry, the history, the payrolls etc.

They don't play each other 162 games a season, so you'll see different stuff. It just happens that they have two early series against each other.

Agreed. After this series, they only have 4 more series against each other this year.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:00 am

TB13 wrote:
The rivalry (I still chuckle when it is termed as such...ok, it's not 26-0, but 26-1...not much of a rivalry) is the biggest and best thing that baseball has now.

There are few things that piss me off more than this. For one, the Sox do not have only one championship. This is so obnoxious. How could they only have won one? Remember those 1918 chants?--that was for the last time they won it all. So that makes two, there.

The Sox have won five or six championships, depending on whether you count the Pilgrims.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BOS/

Also, it IS a rivalry. From 2002-2004, the teams have played 57 times, the Sox winning 29 of them, the Yankees 28. Over that time period, the Sox scored 295 runs, and the Yankees scored 299.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games ... mit=Submit

They've also played in the last two American League Championships, both of which went to the seventh game--one of which went into extra innings of that seventh game.

In 2005, the Sox and Yankees have played four times, and each team has won two games. During those games, the Sox scored 20 runs, the Yankees scored 17 runs.

This is a rivalry. The only way it isn't is if you're punishing Boston for once being a racist organization and for its previously inept front office.

And if you think hatred/rivalry is bad now, it was worse in the 70s.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby nettles3Ball-star » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:20 am

I think every country has its special rivalry in one of its favorite sports. It's the rivalry that fuels conversations nationwide. It's the rivalry that is composed of the teams that 1/2 the country probably hates. In Spain it's Barca-Madrid. I think it's Boca Juniors and River Plate in Argentina. Face it, Red Sox-Yanks is ours. Lakers-Celtics, Michigan-Ohio State, Cowboys-Redskins just don't activate the national collective consciousness.

This need for a prime duality is probably due to some instinctual need. Someone should write a paper on it.
nettles3Ball-star
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby TB13 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:21 am

Transmogrifier wrote:There are few things that piss me off more than this. For one, the Sox do not have only one championship. This is so obnoxious. How could they only have won one? Remember those 1918 chants?--that was for the last time they won it all. So that makes two, there.

I said it tongue-in-cheek. No disrespect intended.
HOWEVER,

"The Sox have won five or six championships, depending on whether you count the Pilgrims. "

Ok, it's 26-5. Does that really make it seem that much better?

"Also, it IS a rivalry. From 2002-2004, the teams have played 57 times, the Sox winning 29 of them, the Yankees 28. Over that time period, the Sox scored 295 runs, and the Yankees scored 299. "

From what perspective is this a true rivalry? A rivarly involves the other team winning enough to make it interesting. The Red Sox, and I give them ALL the credit in the world for last year, have come out on top exactly once cars began to overtake the horse & buggy is a method of transportation. Quote to me what has happened sice 2004 all you want, but answer this question. In just the last decade how many times have the Sox appeared in the World Series? Now how many times have the Yankees? How many times have the Red Sox won the division? Now how many times have the Yankees done so? How many times have the Red Sox made the playoffs? Now how many times have the Yankees/
Ok, it IS a true rivalry. One where one team is FAR more successful than the other one.

"The only way it isn't is if you're punishing Boston for once being a racist organization and for its previously inept front office. "

Never my contention
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WharfRat » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:30 am

nettles3Ball-star wrote:I think every country has its special rivalry in one of its favorite sports. It's the rivalry that fuels conversations nationwide. It's the rivalry that is composed of the teams that 1/2 the country probably hates. In Spain it's Barca-Madrid. I think it's Boca Juniors and River Plate in Argentina. Face it, Red Sox-Yanks is ours. Lakers-Celtics, Michigan-Ohio State, Cowboys-Redskins just don't activate the national collective consciousness.

This need for a prime duality is probably due to some instinctual need. Someone should write a paper on it.

I think Giamatti, the old MLB commissioner, actually wrote about this in one of his books. We read it in a sportswriting class in college. Wouldn't recommend it though, boring as all hell, but interesting if you like the academization of games. "Game theory," I guess.
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby nettles3Ball-star » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:31 am

TB13 wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:"The only way it isn't is if you're punishing Boston for once being a racist organization and for its previously inept front office. "

I don't get this part. What's the context? I think almost all the organizations were racist thanks to Judge Landis' unwritten code. And, unfortunately that was true as well of my beloved Yanks, who suffered through seasons of losing during their refusal to add black players. That's karma.
nettles3Ball-star
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers