M's arms dropping like flies already? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

M's arms dropping like flies already?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hybrid » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:16 pm

I have no doubt Felix will get hurt at some point, but all pitchers do so it shouldn't be a surprise at all if he did.

As for M's pitching who knows, there are a lot of reasons why injuries occur. It could be mechanics, pitch count / over working, size, or how about that structurally they aren't just sound enough. All arms are not created equal ;-)

Ryan Anderson never really had anything good on his side besides a great arm. It was great that he was tall and all, but somewhat of a negative too. Pitchers who are taller have to do more work with their mechanics then smaller pitchers, just more variables that can go wrong. Also purely judging by his stats, he had very eratic control. That could be very easily associated that he never had that good of mechanics, that his release point was never consistent.

Soriano had pretty good mechanics, but he also was relatively small in stature and threw upper 90's. I also believe he had an arm injury or two before the recent TJ surgery.

There isn't an exact science obviously, but sometimes you can see it coming or that it could. Which is why people see Kazmir as a RP, and while I hope he doesn't .... I can easily see that there is a good chance of that.
Last edited by hybrid on Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby getoffmywalrus » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:32 pm

When Soriano was on, he was completely dominating. To be honest, I don't know what his deal is but I wouldn't be surprised if he's never the same as he was after all the arm problems he's had. It's a shame, he could've been a K-rod like closer, instead of a-blown-save-everyday-Eddie
"Carl Everett's the best player in baseball, just ask him." -Ryan Dempster
getoffmywalrus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AKhomebrewer » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:43 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Meanwhile Moyer will be getting the seniors discount at the movies and still be pitching.

I think Mookie's onto something here. Maybe all those other M's are just throwing too hard. Drop those fastballs down to 78 MPH, they'll be fine.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Re: M's arms dropping like flies already?

Postby wrveres » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:59 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
hybrid wrote:Oh yeah and if they continue with these injuries, they will have no other choice really but to bring up Felix somewhat soon.

Do you hear that?

Thats the sound of 100,000 fantasy baseball owners jockying to get King Felix. :-b

already do. For 1°° :-°
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby thehat » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:53 am

Re: Meche

I wrote this here last year, and will now resurrect it. This guy is dominant once around the lineup. He has 97MPH capability on his heater, albeit not if he's starting. I mentioned this last year in criticizing the M's for going after Guardado when they already have a guy with what seems to me to be clear eighth or ninth inning capabilities in Meche.

I've always been high on Meche, as his stuff is downright nasty. But it's also crystal clear to me that he just doesn't have the staying power to start and be consistently effective. And like John Wetteland and Eric Gagne, both of whom I suggested might be dominating relievers while they were still wallowing in mediocrity as starters, I'll say it again here. Meche should be in the bullpen as a short reliever.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby AKhomebrewer » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:40 am

Tip o' the hat to thehat on this analysis of Meche.

The final numbers in both his starts this year look hideous, but look closer. His first game, he took a 2-hit shutout into the fifth, then imploded. The second game, even though scuffling, he started with three innings of zeros and got scorched for 5 runs in the fourth (helped by the Bartman wannabe who robbed Ichiro).
All of his runs have been given up in two innings.

Anyway, I had him in his 'breakout' '03, and saw some of this same stuff.
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers