Gathright - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gathright

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gathright

Postby cadets1 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:06 pm

Do you guys think he is here to stay? Or will he be sent right back down?
cadets1
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby benjapage » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:15 pm

man, i wish i knew. i have him and sanchez and it's making me nuts. the rays should trade/release sanchez and start gathright. gathright's defense is better, and he's shown he can hit. not sure why they're holding him back.

my gut tells me that when sanchez comes back tomorrow, gathright will get sent down. the reasoning will be that they don't want the youngster sitting on the bench in the majors when he could be playing every day in the minors. i think that's horsecrap, but i also think it's what will happen.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby dkakridas » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:39 pm

I am not so sure. I think the Rays may have seen something in Gathright over the past week that they have been waiting to see.

Gathright is a fireplug in that lineup and he has leadoff skills. That will allow them to put Crawford in a more productive spot where he can drive in some runs. Sanchez can't do that. Also, Gathright will start putting more fans in the stands with his exciting brand of baseball. Plus he is an upgrade in defense over muscle-boy.

My bet is that they keep Gathright and something gives with Sanchez (trade, release, demotion).
dkakridas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby T-Bone Costanza » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Bumping this up.

If anyone finally gets some concrete news or quotes from Lou and the Devil Rays on this, it will help everyone out. We can speculate all we want with our "It should be Gathwright" and "Sanchez is a bum" and "Gathwright will get sent down when Sanchez is back". So hopefully in the next couple of days we'll get definitive word.

Personally, I'm guessing that they send Gath back down for more seasoning until Sanchez on-field justifies not being worth the trouble. Sanchez had a pretty good spring and I think they got him for a reason.

We're a couple of days away from the end of the suspension, hopefully the news sites start posting Piniella quotes soon.
T-Bone Costanza
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:24 pm

Gathright's teammates cant stop raving about his play, in particular his baserunning skills. I see a problem if they send the guy down, he adds so much to the team. Here's to hopeing Gathright stays in the show for the rest of his career.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby T-Bone Costanza » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:44 pm

I don't think it's sounding good for Gathright staying in the majors when Sanchez comes back. From the Devil Rays website....

Devil Rays GM Chuck LaMar said the team intends to activate Sanchez on Thursday with no hard feelings.

"Once his suspension is over with, there's no question [he has a clean slate]," LaMar said. "He has admitted his guilt -- taking a substance that was banned by baseball. He's served a 10-day suspension. Yeah, he's one of our players like anyone else."

Sanchez's return means a player move will have to be made on Thursday. If nobody gets injured before then, the choice is likely to come down to outfielders Joey Gathright and Chris Singleton.

"Honestly, when we leave Thursday [for the team's first road trip], it'll be the team we envisioned breaking camp with," LaMar said.
T-Bone Costanza
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby warrick95 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:46 pm

Yep...doesn't look like Joey's here to stay, which is sad, because he's a way better option. He's got serious leadoff skills. Looks like a complete Pierre clone. Who says you have to have a decent SLG to bat leadoff? He makes up for it elsewhere.

Even Jason Kendall said that watching Joey on the basepaths is like a movie in fast forward.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers