Hampton? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hampton?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:33 pm

LBJackal wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
LBJackal wrote:He gets about a K every other inning. That really hurts you in K's, and his WHIP will be amongst the worst pitchers in baseball who people actually have on a fantasy team, and this is over 200 innings. That's like having Shaq kill your FT%. He is not good. This isn't based on his poor 4 K's in 14 IP, but I'm saying that he's not better than last year simply because he has a 1.29 ERA. You have to look past ERA and WHIP. Look at what he controls: K's and BB's. His low K/BB rate will come back to bite him like it does every year. Last year he was lucky enough to keep his ERA as low as it was (it was still pretty bad). You can start him if you want... I wouldn't touch him. You've been warned.

His WHIP post ASB was 1.25 last year. That's not too bad at all. Plus, I'm sure your stat book doesn't show that he had a bum knee all year, does it?

Bring this up if I'm wrong. If he has a WHIP anywhere in the general area of 1.25 you can pick my punishment. It will be above 1.40 easily.

Added to favorites. :-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AKhomebrewer » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:40 pm

LBJackal wrote:he's a horrible pitcher and I don't know why anybody would want him in a 12 team 5x5.

Perhaps not. But I'm OK with him at the bottom of my staff in a 16-teamer. Unless he goes on a lights-out tear, I'm playing matchups. At home against Washington, heck yeah.
Vs. Philly/Stl, or at Coors ... probably not.
But an owner could do worse. Seriously.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby slomo007 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:42 pm

AKhomebrewer wrote:
LBJackal wrote:he's a horrible pitcher and I don't know why anybody would want him in a 12 team 5x5.

Perhaps not. But I'm OK with him at the bottom of my staff in a 16-teamer. Unless he goes on a lights-out tear, I'm playing matchups. At home against Washington, heck yeah.
Vs. Philly/Stl, or at Coors ... probably not.
But an owner could do worse. Seriously.

That's the way I feel too. I think he's very undervalued...however, I agree that I'm starting him on matchups at least a little this year. I'll start him vs Philly at home, but not in Philly. I think the same can be said for pretty much all non-stud pitchers.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby LBJackal » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:44 pm

16 team league, yeah that's different. But in a 12 team league I'd never start him so owning him would be pointless.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TB13 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:44 pm

slomo007 wrote:Yes, one of the most underrated guys around. He won't get very many Ks, but he will post great ratios and will get quite a few wins.

Agreed. He has been simply stellar since last year's ASB. His WHIP will be lower than people think becuase he seems to have gotten the walks under control. People want to shy away from him due to his past, but he could be a real sleeper for the current year.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LBJackal » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:50 pm

Has his walks under control lately? Over his last 10 starts he has 24 BB's and 25 K's :-o

OK I'll stop now... I just get the feeling a lot of people are gonna be burned by him. Playing matchups will lessen the pain though.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TB13 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:53 pm

LBJackal wrote:Has his walks under control lately? Over his last 10 starts he has 24 BB's and 25 K's :-o

And over his last two starts, he had 3 including none last night. During ST, he was not walking many people either. I do agree with you that playing the matchups with him is a going to be a key.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers