100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hampton?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hampton?

Postby OaklandAces » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:47 am

He's off to a good start:
2 starts 1-0, 1.29 era, 1.21 whip, only 2.57 k/9

Do you think he will keep this pace up? If so he might be a nice addition to my rotation.
OaklandAces
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:48 am

Yes, one of the most underrated guys around. He won't get very many Ks, but he will post great ratios and will get quite a few wins. His knee was the cause of a lot of problems last year, and he had it surgically repaired. He's been a sleeper for me in my money league, and I expect it to continue.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Carey Saders » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:49 am

There will be some bad outings, but he could easily win 15 with an ERA in the high 3's and a WHIP as low as 1.30.
Carey Saders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nettles3Ball-star » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:14 pm

I grabbed him in a couple of leagues too. So far, so good. My experience with him tells me he demands constant vigilence. Once, he gets hot, he usually stays hot. Unfortunately, the opposite is true as well. Pay particular attention the second half.
nettles3Ball-star
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby LBJackal » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:20 pm

Yich.

14 IP and 4 K's. Nothing has changed from last year. This guy will ruin your WHIP and K's, and his ERA will probably be above 4. Doesn't help you anywhere... he's a horrible pitcher and I don't know why anybody would want him in a 12 team 5x5.

:-P

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:21 pm

I just read that he is like 13-2 in his last 18 starts...that's pretty dang good. I picked him up as a 2-start guy for this week in my points league, but I don't know if he'll be good enough to keep there. He might be good for normal leagues though. ;-D
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby slomo007 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:22 pm

LBJackal wrote:Yich.

14 IP and 4 K's. Nothing has changed from last year. This guy will ruin your WHIP and K's, and his ERA will probably be above 4. Doesn't help you anywhere... he's a horrible pitcher and I don't know why anybody would want him in a 12 team 5x5.

:-P

Last night, Atlanta got out to a very early lead. He had one K in 2 innings, and then another 1 K through the following 6 innings. The reason for this was because he changed his pitching style to allow for contact because they were up by so much that he didn't want to walk anyone and risk allowing a big inning. He could have gone the CG if it wasn't a blowout, I think he threw like 80 or 90 pitches through 8 innings. That's very impressive.

Sometimes stats don't give the whole picture.

He's not going to get a K per inning, but you're crazy if you believe he's going to get 60 Ks through 200 innings, which is the pace he's on now approximately.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby LBJackal » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:28 pm

He gets about a K every other inning. That really hurts you in K's, and his WHIP will be amongst the worst pitchers in baseball who people actually have on a fantasy team, and this is over 200 innings. That's like having Shaq kill your FT%. He is not good. This isn't based on his poor 4 K's in 14 IP, but I'm saying that he's not better than last year simply because he has a 1.29 ERA. You have to look past ERA and WHIP. Look at what he controls: K's and BB's. His low K/BB rate will come back to bite him like it does every year. Last year he was lucky enough to keep his ERA as low as it was (it was still pretty bad). You can start him if you want... I wouldn't touch him. You've been warned.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:30 pm

LBJackal wrote:He gets about a K every other inning. That really hurts you in K's, and his WHIP will be amongst the worst pitchers in baseball who people actually have on a fantasy team, and this is over 200 innings. That's like having Shaq kill your FT%. He is not good. This isn't based on his poor 4 K's in 14 IP, but I'm saying that he's not better than last year simply because he has a 1.29 ERA. You have to look past ERA and WHIP. Look at what he controls: K's and BB's. His low K/BB rate will come back to bite him like it does every year. Last year he was lucky enough to keep his ERA as low as it was (it was still pretty bad). You can start him if you want... I wouldn't touch him. You've been warned.

His WHIP post ASB was 1.25 last year. That's not too bad at all. Plus, I'm sure your stat book doesn't show that he had a bum knee all year, does it?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby LBJackal » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:32 pm

slomo007 wrote:
LBJackal wrote:He gets about a K every other inning. That really hurts you in K's, and his WHIP will be amongst the worst pitchers in baseball who people actually have on a fantasy team, and this is over 200 innings. That's like having Shaq kill your FT%. He is not good. This isn't based on his poor 4 K's in 14 IP, but I'm saying that he's not better than last year simply because he has a 1.29 ERA. You have to look past ERA and WHIP. Look at what he controls: K's and BB's. His low K/BB rate will come back to bite him like it does every year. Last year he was lucky enough to keep his ERA as low as it was (it was still pretty bad). You can start him if you want... I wouldn't touch him. You've been warned.

His WHIP post ASB was 1.25 last year. That's not too bad at all. Plus, I'm sure your stat book doesn't show that he had a bum knee all year, does it?

Bring this up if I'm wrong. If he has a WHIP anywhere in the general area of 1.25 you can pick my punishment. It will be above 1.40 easily.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers