The dangers of waiting too long - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The dangers of waiting too long

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The dangers of waiting too long

Postby TB13 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:31 am

I don't know about the rest of you, but my personal pet peeve with myself & fantasy baseball is I either wait too long to snatch up a quality player of the waiver wire or I pounce too early, thinking that the other owners are seeing the same thing I am.
Example 1: I have been a big fan of Brett Myers' stuff ever since he was in the minors. Liked him enough his first year, then last year the wheels came off the bus. He did not get drafted in my league, but I have always kept an eye out for him. Now, this year, he has two very good outings in a row. But, in the desire to want to seem him prove it some more and also with a healthy dose of fear from his home park, I did not make the move to pick him up. Now someone else snatched him up and I am left wondering if I waited too long to make the move.
Example 2: Reyes is my starting 2nd baseman. Due to fears of his health, I am always scanning the WW for a good backup. I have Cuddyer, and he is stumbling out of the gate. I waited too long on Cantu and he got snatched up. I see that Spivey is off to a good year and has very good OPS #'s (one of the cats in my league) for a 2nd baseman. Seeing that Reyes faces Smoltz, I drop Cuddyer and pick up Spivey, who proceeds to great me with an 0-4 & 3 strikeout game.
I can't snatch everyone of the WW, as my leauge has a set amount of 40 pickups (effectively preventing streamlining of pitchers). Anyone out there face the same issues when it comes time to play the game of "To pick up or not to pick up"?
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rkiivs » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:39 am

No worries, mate.

I guarantee if you keep an eye on some of the players your league mates are dropping and adding, some of them will blow up in their face as well. There's a mystical art to the WW on par with, oh, understanding women. Sometimes you figure it out and sometimes you don't. I figure if even half my waiver pick ups don't lose me points then I'm doing pretty good.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby TB13 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:42 am

[quote="Rkiivs"]There's a mystical art to the WW on par with, oh, understanding women. Sometimes you figure it out and sometimes you don't. [/quote]

;-D ;-D
Nice analogy.
Another example. I posted yesterday about possibly picking up Eric Hinskie. Well, as I was pontificating whether or not to drop Brandon Inge for him (Inge is my 2nd catcher, but can be plugged into other positions on off days), someone else in my league picked him up. As I read the boxscores last night, I see that Hinksie promptly went 3 for 5 with several rbi's. And again, I curse myself.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby FlawedReasoning » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:45 am

Same thing happened to me with Cantu... Actually I had been hearing about him for a while. Finally, I decided to do something, so I checked my league and he was still on the wires. Then I came here, did a search, read maybe two different threads about him, and decided to go for it. When I went back to the league, he had already been snatched up... 8-o in the 3 or so minutes that I spent reading threads!

All I could do was clench my teeth and shake my fist at the sky and then go back to scouring the wire again !+)
FlawedReasoning
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby donny23 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:39 am

Rkiivs wrote:No worries, mate.

I guarantee if you keep an eye on some of the players your league mates are dropping and adding, some of them will blow up in their face as well. There's a mystical art to the WW on par with, oh, understanding women. Sometimes you figure it out and sometimes you don't. I figure if even half my waiver pick ups don't lose me points then I'm doing pretty good.

You figure out women sometimes? 8-o Planning on writing a best-seller on this? :-D
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LouisC9999 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:14 pm

Good thread.

Nowadays, I add first and ask questions later. Nowhere else does the expression "You snooze, you lose" apply more than the world of fantasy sports free agent pickups.
LouisC9999
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TB13 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:20 pm

LouisC9999 wrote:Good thread.

Nowadays, I add first and ask questions later. Nowhere else does the expression "You snooze, you lose" apply more than the world of fantasy sports free agent pickups.

Yes, but the problem is that when you do not snooze and pick up a player at the very begining of a good streak, it just as often turns out that the hot streak was only good for 3 or 4 games. In a league like mine where you moves are capped, you can only have so many times that you pick wrong.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mkultra » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:39 pm

Exactly. The flip side of a missed opportunity is a wasted maneuver. FBB is as much about your gut as it is about the stats.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby agchris02 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:56 pm

Yep, happens to me all the time -- D Davis was dropped to the WW right before his 2nd start, and I was going to put a claim on him -- just was waiting on two of my p's to go to see who to drop, was torn....and someone else got him :(

cant snooze, but that aside, if you dont think your decisions through you could drop a great player yourself
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:57 pm

i usually am the type that makes very few waiver moves unless i got a player that is just not gettin PT like he should.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers