Bench a stud for a 2 start average pitcher? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bench a stud for a 2 start average pitcher?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:48 am

In pitching never bench a stud for a 2start lesser IMO.

Most standard 5x5 use two ratios when scoring their pitching, ERA and WHIP. A poor pitching start can easily give you a negative score, so for instance if Webb has one bad outing and one good outing, it's like you didn't even start a pitcher. Pedro's one start can easily outscore Webb's two, I'd go with Pedro.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mrfantasybaseball » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:58 am

Don't you have a lesser option than Pedro with only 1 start?

My other starters are:

Jake Peavy (2 starts)
Curt Schilling (2 starts)
Dontrell Willis (2 starts)
mrfantasybaseball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bselig » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:06 am

you take it on a case by case basis. based on the matchups you posted i think it's a perfectly ok strategy to go with. colorado and washington's hitters are terrible, florida has a good lineup. plus the mets' bullpen supposedly sucks and the chance at getting two wins out of webb is pretty huge, and your chance of getting at least 1 win from that slot is upped tremendously by going with webb over pedro. likely more k's from webb too. the downside sees to more earned runs/or higher era and more hits, i don't know what all your categories are. the people who say never bench a 'stud' are wrong because the matchups and the studliness of your stud (or lack thereof) might make it the right move
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby donny23 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:06 am

mrfantasybaseball wrote:
Don't you have a lesser option than Pedro with only 1 start?

My other starters are:

Jake Peavy (2 starts)
Curt Schilling (2 starts)
Dontrell Willis (2 starts)

Go with Pedro in that case.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mrfantasybaseball » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:19 am

you take it on a case by case basis. based on the matchups you posted i think it's a perfectly ok strategy to go with. colorado and washington's hitters are terrible, florida has a good lineup. plus the mets' bullpen supposedly sucks and the chance at getting two wins out of webb is pretty huge, and your chance of getting at least 1 win from that slot is upped tremendously by going with webb over pedro. likely more k's from webb too. the downside sees to more earned runs/or higher era and more hits, i don't know what all your categories are. the people who say never bench a 'stud' are wrong because the matchups and the studliness of your stud (or lack thereof) might make it the right move

Thank you BSelig. My thoughts exactly. Webb is a decent option. Last year he had a good number of Ks and a decent ERA, he picked up so many losses at the end of the year because Arizona had their whole AAA team behind him.
mrfantasybaseball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Carnac » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:40 am

I would never bench a stud SP for one more mediocre start.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby agchris02 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:59 am

You do not ALWAYS start your stud pitcher in a H2H pts league -- in fact anything but. Id say 95/100 times yes. But if you have R Johnson v. J Santana as one option and you have someone like M Mussina v. Lohse one night and later in the week against J Towers, Id go with mussina

That said -- when do you not have a differant one start pitcher to bench other than Santana? Normally for me this decision comes down to trying to decide a picther like C Pavano or a N Lowry with 2 starts -- and then I look at the matchups real close. If you actually manage to get 5 or 6 good 2 start options though, I would consider benching the stud (the most I can normally expect from a stud is about 30pts, and thats if he gets a win, if he gets a ND, thats 20,a loss 15 -- thats why matchups are so important. Id rather get two 10pt performances, which is horrible, and be assured of that than risk the bad matchup)

It requires lots of looking though, typically dont bench those guys, but I would not say, NEVER bench them -- thats reaching too far
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers