Does Greinke really have more than mediocre value? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Does Greinke really have more than mediocre value?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Does Greinke really have more than mediocre value?

Postby BostonBK7 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:42 pm

How sold are you guys on the fact that he will be a good pitcher for fantasy teams? The Royals suck and he's still young and I really don't see him getting many wins and his K/IP rate isn't anything to applaud. I know he's only had one season but what do you guys think?
BostonBK7
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:44 pm

Mediocre is the right word for him I'd say. He'll help your ratios, but won't get a ton of wins and is average in Ks as well. He is a step above WW in redraft leagues, but in keepers he has significant value.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby mtarail » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:47 pm

In a 12 team league Greinke is borderline waiver wire material. In most of my leagues he's a FA. He doesn't have enough experience for you to really rely on him repeating last year's #'s and he's not gonna get you many wins in KC.

Now, I think he's a guy to keep an eye on. After all, maybe he can repeat last year's #'s. But he definitely doesn't have much value.

In a keeper league you might want to grab him and hold on for awhile to see what happens with his future. The kids only 21 years old right now, so he could have a very bright future. I'm just not certain that the future has arrived yet for him.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thehat » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:48 pm

slomo007 wrote:Mediocre is the right word for him I'd say. He'll help your ratios, but won't get a ton of wins and is average in Ks as well. He is a step above WW in redraft leagues, but in keepers he has significant value.

Agree 100%.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BostonBK7 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:51 pm

So would it be a crime to drop him for someone on the WW that is doing well right now (*cough* Brett Myers *cough*)? I am very tempted to do it right now.
BostonBK7
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mtarail » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:53 pm

In a 12 team league Greinke is borderline waiver wire material. In most of my leagues he's a FA. He doesn't have enough experience for you to really rely on him repeating last year's #'s and he's not gonna get you many wins in KC.

Now, I think he's a guy to keep an eye on. After all, maybe he can repeat last year's #'s. But he definitely doesn't have much value.

In a keeper league you might want to grab him and hold on for awhile to see what happens with his future. The kids only 21 years old right now, so he could have a very bright future. I'm just not certain that the future has arrived yet for him.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RynMan » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:54 pm

BostonBK7 wrote:So would it be a crime to drop him for someone on the WW that is doing well right now (*cough* Brett Myers *cough*)? I am very tempted to do it right now.

I would try and trade him first. Never just drop a guy that someone will probably pick up the next day.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby mtarail » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:54 pm

mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cooner » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:03 pm

while mtarail may REALLY not think he'll repeat, I think he's a safe call for a solid ERA and WHIP. He may not get a ton of wins or Ks, but the number of walks he issues is very impressive, which leads me to believe he'll have no troubl e putting up solid ratios. In a 12 team non-keeper he should still be owned...
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nikku88 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:56 am

Didn't Pecota give him a collapse of 0%?
He should be solid again, similar I think, but not yet great for fb.
He does have value though.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers