Simpsons' Martin Prince could die.......... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Simpsons' Martin Prince could die..........

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Simpsons' Martin Prince could die..........

Postby RugbyD » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:05 pm

............if Springfield Elementary instituted this policy. I predict disaster, especially for schools in the not-so-good areas. Schools are becoming more and morte like prisons, and everyone knows what happens to a snitch in prison.

http://www.wftv.com/news/4366400/detail.html

High School To Pay Student Informants For Tips On Campus Crime

Using revenue from its candy and soda sales, Model High School plans to pay up to $100 for information about thefts and drug or gun possession on campus.

"It's not that we feel there are any problems here," said Principal Glenn White. "It's a proactive move for getting information that will help deter any sort of illegal activity."

Under the new policy, a student would receive $10 for information about a theft on campus, $25 or $50 for information about drug possession, and $100 for information about gun possession or other serious felonies.

Informants will not receive the reward if they are involved in the crime, White said.

At nearby Rome High School, there is no similar program because students there have a rapport with officials and are comfortable providing information, said Superintendent Gayland Cooper.

"We feel the reward is the kids knowing they have a safe school," Cooper said.

The idea for the program came from Kell High School in Marietta, an Atlanta suburb. There, student tips earlier this year led to the arrest of a classmate who had brought a handgun to school.

No Model High students have received the reward yet, but some questioned the logic behind it. Jaime Parris, a senior, said that most students already would tell faculty about anything that threatened student safety.

"But if it's not going to hurt other people, I don't think many people are going to tell on their friends," she said
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:35 pm

My middle school had this a long time ago. Not through the school, but Crime Stoppers coordinated with the schools to do the same thing as in this article. We always joked about doing something bad, framing somebody else, and getting paid for it. I don't know if it's neccesarily a bad thing to do this... but I guess I'm just used to it being around up here already.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby loophole21 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:50 pm

This is probably the worst idea I have ever heard of...
loophole21
College Coach
College Coach

Postby curious_george_43545 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:58 am

loophole21 wrote:This is probably the worst idea I have ever heard of...
It is a pretty bad idea...
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:19 am

I've heard about this in several schools already. From what I hear, it's working well. Personally, it seems like a very odd idea, but if it makes the schools safer, then I'm all for it. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:56 am

Im stilldeveloping an opinion on this - I understand the positives its trying to bring, but what are the negatives?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RugbyD » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:17 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Im stilldeveloping an opinion on this - I understand the positives its trying to bring, but what are the negatives?

1) Perverse incentive to get your nose in other people's business that you normally wouldn't.
2) Teaches that doing the right thing should be rewarded rather than just being a natural end in and of itself.
3) Creates incentive for false claims/petty revenge that is to be expected amongst immature youth.
4) Higher likelihood of reports being filed increases the likelihood of retaliation, possibly violent, esp. at the more lawless public highschools. Threat increases outside of school grounds.
5) Not quite in practice, but at least in principle, is reminiscent of the vast citizen spy networks of most communist/authoritarian regimes. Not a good foundation on which to raise impressionable youths who are at the early stages of developing a world view.
6) Fosters constant, unhealthy suspicion amongst peers.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:26 am

RugbyD wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Im stilldeveloping an opinion on this - I understand the positives its trying to bring, but what are the negatives?

1) Perverse incentive to get your nose in other people's business that you normally wouldn't.
lol - lets ban all reality shows and talk shows in general - in fact anything to do with interesting interpersonal stories whatsoever should be banned - all they do is make people more interested in other people. ;-7
2) Teaches that doing the right thing should be rewarded rather than just being a natural end in and of itself.
Maybe we are at a stage in society where doing the right thing should be rewarded. :-?
3) Creates incentive for false claims/petty revenge that is to be expected amongst immature youth.
There should be punishment for that type of activity to discourage it.
4) Higher likelihood of reports being filed increases the likelihood of retaliation, possibly violent, esp. at the more lawless public highschools. Threat increases outside of school grounds.
More punishment for that type of behavior. Let kids know it will not be tolerated.
5) Not quite in practice, but at least in principle, is reminiscent of the vast citizen spy networks of most communist/authoritarian regimes. Not a good foundation on which to raise impressionable youths who are at the early stages of developing a world view.
We are sending mixed messages then. As of right now we regularly tell our kids to tell us if a friend or someone they know is doing something wrong so that we can protect them from doing something stupid - what the difference if we give them incentive?
6) Fosters constant, unhealthy suspicion amongst peers.
What about knowing that someone you know has drugs or is doing something illegal that can cause grave harm and no one is going to help? Are you saying you like that alternative more?

I am just talking out loud on this - I really dont know enough about the situation, but it seems to me that society is heading in the wrong direction - especially with our youth. Guns, gangs, lack of love, lack of family, drugs, alcohol, violence, etc. etc. etc.... when does it end? Do we just throw up our hands and say oh well the battle is lost or do we try and fight the tide? I know what Im gonna do.

As for this policy - I dont know if it will work. You made some valid points, but none of them address the problem - they just attack a possible solution. I'll give it a chance if it means helping some of the disenfranchised kids. Children are rightfully scared of the world we live in - we can choose to help them or not.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:33 pm

Is this anonymous..I for one wouldn't want to mess with a bunch of gang members
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby RugbyD » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:59 pm

acsguitar wrote:Is this anonymous..I for one wouldn't want to mess with a bunch of gang members

yes, but i'm sure that a) records are kept and b) it's not always going to be a mystery whodunit.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to General Talk