Burrell just jacked another one.....is anyone else.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Burrell just jacked another one.....is anyone else....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:07 am

People were getting wood over Andruw Jones in spring training, then he starts off 4-19 with no XBH or RBI and all of a sudden all his lovers are silent. I think I was one of the only people who wasn't falling for the new batting stance. But like Slomo said... there are so many times that a hot hitter that everybody falls in love with, falls apart soon after, but the one time they keep it up for a season is the one people remember. Beltre was so bad for 5 full seasons that you can't really blame people for being skeptical about a good first couple weeks.

BTW the triple Andruw got last night was a fly ball to LF that Cliff Floyd misplayed and dove/fell trying to catch it, which could easily have been a fly out if somebody else was playing LF. He's lucky he didn't start out the season 4-22. He hit a homer tonight though, so maybe Willie Mays un-blocked him from his MSN Messenger list.

Now as for Burrell... he has been good before, so maybe he'll keep it up. His BA has always been bad though, but the power should stay.
Last edited by LBJackal on Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:09 am

slo - I have to admit I was selective on choosing which threads to post - didnt want any incriminating evidence brought to the surface. :-b

I did the exact same thing with Beltre as every one else - that is until I took the chance. :-o
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby slomo007 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:13 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:slo - I have to admit I was selective on choosing which threads to post - didnt want any incriminating evidence brought to the surface. :-b

I did the exact same thing with Beltre as every one else - that is until I took the chance. :-o

Unfortunately, I picked him (Beltre) up early in the year (before the season started) and then dropped him for Sean Casey a few days into the season, if I remember correctly. Casey had a great year, lucky for me, but he was still no Beltre. I regretted that one for a long time. But I also think that the odds of Burrell being "the next Beltre" is a longshot. If you're right, more power to you. I'm not biting on this hook though.

I am actually anxious to see how this turns out, as it seems to be a controversial topic (in a good way) at the Cafe this year. Maybe we should create a poll, and then all post our own thoughts on Burrell to show which way we voted, then pull the thread up at the end of the year and make the losers take the walk of shame. How's that sound? Are you that confident?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:16 am

LBJackal wrote:Now as for Burrell... he has been good before, so maybe he'll keep it up. His BA has always been bad though, but the power should stay.

Wasnt he the 1st overall pick in 98 because he was a monster at the plate - hit for power and avg. He had an OBP over .400 at every level in the minors.

Of course, Im not saying he'll repeat that, but at the same time, he did at one time hit for a very good avg - in fact the only level of ball he didnt hit for a high avg is in the majors.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:19 am

LBJackal wrote:People were getting wood over Andruw Jones in spring training, then he starts off 4-19 with no XBH or RBI and all of a sudden all his lovers are silent. I think I was one of the only people who wasn't falling for the new batting stance. But like Slomo said... there are so many times that a hot hitter that everybody falls in love with, falls apart soon after, but the one time they keep it up for a season is the one people remember. Beltre was so bad for 5 full seasons that you can't really blame people for being skeptical about a good first couple weeks.

BTW the triple Andruw got last night was a fly ball to LF that Cliff Floyd misplayed and dove/fell trying to catch it, which could easily have been a fly out if somebody else was playing LF. He's lucky he didn't start out the season 4-22. He hit a homer tonight though, so maybe Willie Mays un-blocked him from his MSN Messenger list.

Now as for Burrell... he has been good before, so maybe he'll keep it up. His BA has always been bad though, but the power should stay.

LBJ, regarding Druw:

I watched the Braves game tonight, and the announcers were talking about how Druw was slipping back to his old habits in the first few games of the season. Apparently, "his old way" is when he has most of his weight on the heels of his feet, meaning his weight is going to make him pull balls rather than using the whole field. Well, Druw was informed of this, and tonight they were showing a close up of his feet and he actually had his weight almost entirely up near his toes, and he went 2/3 with a homer.

I know it's only one game, and you really can't get excited about that at all....but it was good to hear specifically what he does wrong and what he's doing to correct it. You may or may not care at all, but I saw you mentioned Druw and just thought I'd share this.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:27 am

Slo - you can say that about AJones, but when Burrell fixes his stance you dont see it the same way? Correct me if Im wrong, but didnt Burrell project to be better than AJones at the plate?

As for the bet - what are the parameters? :-B
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:32 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Slo - you can say that about AJones, but when Burrell fixes his stance you dont see it the same way? Correct me if Im wrong, but didnt Burrell project to be better than AJones at the plate?

As for the bet - what are the parameters? :-B

I just don't know what Burrell did to correct his stance, I would be very interested to hear specifically what it was that was "fixed." Regardless, he still Ks like it's going out of style so I really don't think he's going to be that great of a hitter. Unless maybe this has just been a small sample size and he'll stop K'ing.

If you want to bet something, like sigs or avatars I'm cool with it...but honestly I was just thinking it would be kind of fun to allow more than just us two in on the bet by creating the poll and then posting our thoughts in one centralized place.

The poll could read something like, "do you think Pat Burrell will hit 40 HRs AND hit .280 in a season?" We could then vote, but also everyone should post how they answered so we know who the correct and incorrect predictions belonged to. I just think that from what I've seen, there is a lot of controversy around Burrell this year at the Cafe, so it would be fun to do something like this and see how it ends up.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:43 am

slomo007 wrote:The poll could read something like, "do you think Pat Burrell will hit 40 HRs AND hit .280 in a season?" We could then vote, but also everyone should post how they answered so we know who the correct and incorrect predictions belonged to. I just think that from what I've seen, there is a lot of controversy around Burrell this year at the Cafe, so it would be fun to do something like this and see how it ends up.

how about 35 and .275? I bet that line would be more balanced.

Go ahead and start the thread - do you buy or sell Burrell at 35 and .275 this yr?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LBJackal » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:45 am

slomo007 wrote:
LBJackal wrote:People were getting wood over Andruw Jones in spring training, then he starts off 4-19 with no XBH or RBI and all of a sudden all his lovers are silent. I think I was one of the only people who wasn't falling for the new batting stance. But like Slomo said... there are so many times that a hot hitter that everybody falls in love with, falls apart soon after, but the one time they keep it up for a season is the one people remember. Beltre was so bad for 5 full seasons that you can't really blame people for being skeptical about a good first couple weeks.

LBJ, regarding Druw:

I watched the Braves game tonight, and the announcers were talking about how Druw was slipping back to his old habits in the first few games of the season. Apparently, "his old way" is when he has most of his weight on the heels of his feet, meaning his weight is going to make him pull balls rather than using the whole field. Well, Druw was informed of this, and tonight they were showing a close up of his feet and he actually had his weight almost entirely up near his toes, and he went 2/3 with a homer.

I know it's only one game, and you really can't get excited about that at all....but it was good to hear specifically what he does wrong and what he's doing to correct it. You may or may not care at all, but I saw you mentioned Druw and just thought I'd share this.

IMO it's just selective vision by fans/announcers... he starts off horribly... "oh, well look he's leaning on his heels a bit". Then he hits a homer and all of a sudden.. "hey look at that, he's putting weight on his toes". They just say whatever matches up to his production.

And the only two significant hits he's had all year; the triple that Floyd misplayed, and the homer he hit tonight, have been pulled to left field. He has 7 hits, and 6 of them (including the 2 from tonight after "correcting his swing") have been pretty much dead-pull right down the 3B line. He had a single to CF once, but that's it. Most of his outs are to LF as well. I don't see a guy that's changed much. People are making excuses for him. I doubt he goes past .275 with 33 HR.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:50 am

LBJackal wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

LBJ, regarding Druw:

IMO it's just selective vision by fans/announcers... he starts off horribly... "oh, well look he's leaning on his heels a bit". Then he hits a homer and all of a sudden.. "hey look at that, he's putting weight on his toes". They just say whatever matches up to his production.

And the only two significant hits he's had all year; the triple that Floyd misplayed, and the homer he hit tonight, have been pulled to left field. He has 7 hits, and 6 of them (including the 2 from tonight after "correcting his swing") have been pretty much dead-pull right down the 3B line. He had a single to CF once, but that's it. Most of his outs are to LF as well. I don't see a guy that's changed much. People are making excuses for him. I doubt he goes past .275 with 33 HR.

I think his sac fly was to RF, if I remember correctly.

Also, they pointed out the change in his feet BEFORE he hit the HR, that's a big difference. I'm not saying he's going to bust out, but I do think the odds of him breaking out are better than the odds of Burrell breaking out.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers