Burrell just jacked another one.....is anyone else.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Burrell just jacked another one.....is anyone else....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:20 pm

Hmmm. Lots of people seem convinced Burrel is trash. I am not so sure as he could be this years Mr. Get it Together...or maybe not.
If you can get a top player for him then by all means mitigate the risk, but I would not be trading him for chump change either.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:23 pm

I don't know why anyone would look at Burrell's hot start in a bad light. So what if he doesn't keep this up, I have him in tons of leagues and if he goes cold for a week bench him and rotate other guys in. You've still got the amazing stats from him, and you send him to the bench if he doesn't keep putting up solid numbers for the year, and if he does awesome keep him on the team.

I am constantly looking to trade guys who are valued extremely high (Trading Preston Wilson and Troy Glaus) and get some good value away from it, but with Burrell I think he can put up solid stats for the whole year. If I'm wrong and he goes cold for about 6 games, bench him until he proves he can hit again. Still get to keep all those wonderful numbers.

Plus, Burrell's numbers now let me have Geoff Jenkins sit on the bench until he learns to swing again.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:27 pm

If he does this insane the rest of this week, trade him. He will never have higher value, and you'll easily get a better player. This guy is like clockwork and always starts out hot. In May he'll barely stay above the mendoza line. Guaranteed. If you get any deals for him, trade him for a good player. This is how you make the best out of your late round picks, not by keeping them, but by trading them for real studs by making other people overpay for them. More often than not, you will win.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby kentx12 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:34 pm

In my 12 team keeper league I traded him tonight for K. Wood. I believe he will put up solid numbers but I had plenty of offense and needed the pitching and the k's.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:35 pm

kentx12 wrote:In my 12 team keeper league I traded him tonight for K. Wood. I believe he will put up solid numbers but I had plenty of offense and needed the pitching and the k's.

Wow, nice trade. Those are the types of deals I'd be looking for if I owned him.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:37 pm

Hmmm. Nice trade though I am not a great fan of 12 Wins Kerry aka "Just good enough to lose" Wood. Will be a solid SP though for you IF he stays healthy.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:39 pm

So - no one is commenting about the change in his batting stance huh? You vets all think he will revert back to being a .220 streak hitter even though there is evidence that he has a new approach to the plate?

Ive said this before, but I really would like to play the role of dupe if someone in my league wants to sell high. Call me crazy.

What kind of players should I offer for him straight up? SP range? OF range? For those people who do have him, who would you want in return in a 1 for 1 deal?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:45 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:So - no one is commenting about the change in his batting stance huh? You vets all think he will revert back to being a .220 streak hitter even though there is evidence that he has a new approach to the plate?

Ive said this before, but I really would like to play the role of dupe if someone in my league wants to sell high. Call me crazy.

What kind of players should I offer for him straight up? SP range? OF range? For those people who do have him, who would you want in return in a 1 for 1 deal?

Give him Pujols! Hes started much worse!
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:46 pm

I wish I could say I saw it coming but I can't. I have him in one league as a $1 flier and am quite happy about it. As I noted, I do not know what he is going to do (no one does), but my gut is telling me this guy is going to put up pretty respectable numebrs this year. Just a feeling. The Phillies look like a new team with Bowa gone. Even Abreau has started to hit well and it is week2 not week 8. Hitting between Abreau and Thome in that park has got to be a plus.

As to a deal, since I tend to think he will continue to put up decent numbers, it would take quite a bit to pry him from me. A round 4-5 or better caliber SP or hitter with a solid track record. I can't see anyone doing that in their right mind.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:47 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:I wish I could say I saw it coming but I can't. I have him in one league as a $1 flier and am quite happy about it. As I noted, I do not know what he is going to do (no one does), but my gut is telling me this guy is going to put up pretty respectable numebrs this year. Just a feeling. The Phillies look like a new team with Bowa gone. Even Abreau has started to hit well and it is week2 not week 8. Hitting between Abreau and Thome in that park has got to be a plus.

As to a deal, since I tend to think he will continue to put up decent numbers, it would take quite a bit to pry him from me. A round 4-5 or better caliber SP or hitter with a solid track record. I can't see anyone doing that in their right mind.

So, you wouldn't trade Burrell for, say, Roy Oswalt? Rich Harden?

Are you nuts? :-/
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers